House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoeDavola

I Hate My Iphone

I took hundreds of photos on holiday on an iPhone 4 which was locked to o2, and had an o2 temporary sim in it.

Now 02 have apparently unlocked it; and I was told I had to connect it to iTunes. Must have hit restore by mistake.

Now the new iPhone has a backup from an old iPhone on it, and it seems has overwritten the hundreds of photos that I took.

Why in the name of ****** would it do this; you'd think they'd make the software smart enough to know 'maybe this bloke doesn't wanna lose the hundreds of photos that he has'.

Does anyone know if I can get these photos back?

And to top it all off, the bloody phone still isn't working with my sim card. I could smash this bloody thing to pieces.

I am guessing here, but if the iPhone can be connected to a PC, and is readable as an external drive, it may be that the file deletion is similar to that of a disk drive, merely removing the file entry in a directory, and so file recovery software might work.

You might have a better chance if the files are on removable card storage media (not applicable AFAIK to an iPhone).

I was always telling my parents that computers don't actually come with a self destruct button. Seems you found it.

Always BACK UP everything before doing anything stupid!

Assume everything you are about to do is stupid!

back it up now!

Or iCloud.

Exactly which Apple push something chronic.

This is unfortunately the problem with any product such as an iPhone, they are so good that an idiot can use one, however that is not the same as being idiot proof. Not that I'm accusing you of being an idiot Joe.

Rule 1 with any computer based device, back up anything and everything if you really value it, or do as I do and value nothing on a PC and that way when it goes pop I couldn't give a shit. I actually regularly reformat and clear down my computer based devices, the only thing I really value is my music collection, but that's backed up in multiple places.

It's so easy these days with cloud based services, especially something like the iPhone.

Never really seen the point of photos, my parents have millions. My mum spends an inordinate amount of time cataloging and putting them in specific albums based on time, location or some other arbitrary grouping, however one thing she never does is actually look at them.

iTunes is one of the reasons I moved away to Android. Many times have I bloody overwritten music on the phone instead of actually "adding" music to it.

Always BACK UP everything before doing anything stupid!

Assume everything you are about to do is stupid!

back it up now!

Agree totally with this.

If you've hit the factory reset and wiped the phone I think you've lost the pics. On the android phones I've sold on I've always checked them using recovery software to see if any personal information is left and I've never been able to recover anything like stored pictures. I think the whole point of the factory reset is to wipe the phone.

I have a camera for taking photographs and a phone for making phone calls.

Seems to work.

I have a camera for taking photographs and a phone for making phone calls.

Seems to work.

You quaint little man you.

;)

Ditto for me actually :)

Put it down to experience mate and book yourself another holiday...

If you persevere with the I Phone look for an app which automatically backs up your photo's automatically over wifi when in range of another PC/Home network. Android do an app called sweethome which does the job very well so I assume there must be an iphone alternative.

Does the job perfectly on my nexus 5. I can have the folder open on the PC take a pic with the phone and within 5 seconds it appears in the folder.

Here is one..

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/photo-transfer-app-easily/id365152940?mt=8

Of course on Android it would be free.....

My neighbour bought an iPad in spite of me telling him never to buy anything from Apple. Now he has taken some holiday videos and cannot get them off the damned thing. I can just imagine the fun I will have explaining DropBox to him.

My neighbour bought an iPad in spite of me telling him never to buy anything from Apple. Now he has taken some holiday videos and cannot get them off the damned thing. I can just imagine the fun I will have explaining DropBox to him.

So there's no "connect to network drive, drag stuff over to other computer" (or vice-versa) on these things? Why do people buy this crap? A simple, straightforward, accessible filing system is a basic requirement for any electronic device that stores stuff for me.

So there's no "connect to network drive, drag stuff over to other computer" (or vice-versa) on these things? Why do people buy this crap?

No, (IMO) it is the major weakness with Apple products..

iphones are fine for calls, apps, light web browsing and quick emails.

Rubbish for pictures, music, video or anything else unless you don't mind losing them forever or grappling with itunes.

Slight diversion alert.

I really don't like the new Tune In Radio app. Clunky and messy.

Previous version was spot on.

Any decent alternatives out there?

Android OS.

TIA.

On Fighting Talk this week, before they do the 'defend the indefensible' finale, they ask each of the four contestants to state what is annoying them this week. One of them said "t*ssers who use their iPad as a camera". What's that about? Waving it around in the air and showing off that they've got the latest expensive gadget when they could just have a little understated phone or camera to take pictures with.

Or maybe just simply due to the fact that they don't like carrying both a camera and a phone around when one item will clearly do the job of both to their satisfaction.

Whoever came up with a rant like this is a twit.

I don't see what the problem is. When I want to get pictures off the phone, I plug one end of the iphone white lead into the pc and the other into the phone. The iphone appears like a USB drive in windows and I go in and copy the pics from the DCIM folder. No itunes or anything else involved. Its as simple as copying something from a USB stick.

Maybe my phone/pc setup is special in some way.

No offence but don't blame Apple or the product for your inability to either read the instructions or gain the knowledge of how to do something.

It makes you sound as ridiculous as somebody who would purchase a car and then complain it's not working when it runs out of petrol.

So there's no "connect to network drive, drag stuff over to other computer" (or vice-versa) on these things? Why do people buy this crap? A simple, straightforward, accessible filing system is a basic requirement for any electronic device that stores stuff for me.

It is incredibly simple to get images from an iPhone. Depends what computer you have but there are a ton of options as listed here...

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4083

Took me less 10 seconds to find out that information.

I don't see what the problem is. When I want to get pictures off the phone, I plug one end of the iphone white lead into the pc and the other into the phone. The iphone appears like a USB drive in windows and I go in and copy the pics from the DCIM folder. No itunes or anything else involved. Its as simple as copying something from a USB stick.

No, people just like to regurgitate rubbish as if it's gospel with zero knowledge or experience of the product.

Me too. I think a lot of the possibilities of iPhone and iPad are lost on the proles. :blink: