House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Don't Want Aids, Don't Like Condoms Then Take A $13K A Year Pill

Oh my God, when you thought it couldn't get more-stupid... it does.

Federal health officials recommended Wednesday that hundreds of thousands of Americans at risk for AIDS take a daily pill that has been shown to prevent infection with the virus that causes it.
If broadly followed, the advice could transform AIDS prevention in the United States — from reliance on condoms, which are effective but unpopular with many men, to a regimen that relies on an antiretroviral drug.
It would mean a 50-fold increase in the number of prescriptions for the drug, Truvada — to 500,000 a year from fewer than 10,000.
The drug costs $13,000 a year, and most insurers already cover it.

The beneficiary of this will be Gilead, of course. How many lobbyists did they send to DC to get this crap pushed out?

First, let's talk money. $6.3 billion in additional revenue for a drug that I'm reasonably sure costs 1/100th of that price to make. How many rubbers can you buy for $13,000 a year, and how many times would you have to **** in a year to use them all up?

You have to admit this is genius.

I like how denninger always talks figures.

He had a post a while back about the do-gooders (or more likely profiteer scumbag politicians with shares in camera companies) who want to mandate all cars have reversing cameras in them as 15 people die a year.

Ignoring the fact that if people cant be bothered to check their mirrors, whose to say they'll bother checking their camera, if all lives were saved the cost per life would be in the multi-millions.

You could probably spend a tenth as much in hospitals and save more lives.

A friend of my dad designed those rear sensors for car parking. In true HPC spirit someone stole the idea from him and made a huge fortune. These things happen all the time.

If you want you can buy Truvada from my ebay storefront, at direct from the Chinese factory store price (ok ok the active ingredient in my product is cement and nuclear waste but the packaging, including the rinky-dinky hologram, is da bizz).

:rolleyes:

If you want you can buy Truvada from my ebay storefront, at direct from the Chinese factory store price (ok ok the active ingredient in my product is cement and nuclear waste but the packaging, including the rinky-dinky hologram, is da bizz).

:rolleyes:

its fine as long as you felch it down.

He had a post a while back about the do-gooders (or more likely profiteer scumbag politicians with shares in camera companies) who want to mandate all cars have reversing cameras in them as 15 people die a year.

It's not just the camera companies, I'm sure the car companies appreciate having a justification for keeping car prices high. The new Civic, for example, has far more electronics than the one we have, mostly for 'safety' (e.g. backup camera and lane change camera), and that probably adds thousands to the price, and hundreds or more to the profit per car.

It's not just the camera companies, I'm sure the car companies appreciate having a justification for keeping car prices high. The new Civic, for example, has far more electronics than the one we have, mostly for 'safety' (e.g. backup camera and lane change camera), and that probably adds thousands to the price, and hundreds or more to the profit per car.

I'm sure this is one reason why Apple bought Beats. They're getting into the in-car electronics market with tie-ins with the big manufacturers and they must be able to see some juicy margins in adding some Beats audio systems too.

Why would I want "reversing cameras"on my car? I can see the back of it!

Why would I want "reversing cameras"on my car? I can see the back of it!

To be fair, when we last test-drove a bunch of new cars in 2008, there were several we had to pass on because the back window was so small that we could barely see out of it. Then again, that seemed to be pretty much the peak of the 'tiny windows' fad in car design, while some manufacturers today are touting the fact that you can actually see out.

I guess the next fad will probably be windowless cars with cameras on the outside and screens on the inside. Much safer than glass.

To be fair, when we last test-drove a bunch of new cars in 2008, there were several we had to pass on because the back window was so small that we could barely see out of it. Then again, that seemed to be pretty much the peak of the 'tiny windows' fad in car design, while some manufacturers today are touting the fact that you can actually see out.

I guess the next fad will probably be windowless cars with cameras on the outside and screens on the inside. Much safer than glass.

Crap converibles have limited visibilty! Unless you take the lid off! Everybody needs a Ford Zodiac!

Seems a bit of a non-story. I mean ths drug might be fine for a long term relationship but otherwise what about all the other STDs and risk of kids. Durex are not bovvered by this drug.