House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
xiox

Simon Evans Goes To Market

So that's what I was listening to. I thought I'd tuned to HPC FM.

I missed the start of it in the car after work, and thought it was an odd concept to have Milton Jones and Merryn on the same ticket! :)

I think the appropriate phrase here is probably 'many a true word is spoken in jest' - R4 may not be as mainstream as R1 or KISS, but it is great to hear this sort of thing discussed at all, let alone on the BBC.

Was it Milton Jones? It sounds like him but not on the credits.

They do sound very similar to me, and the terrible pun about reservations in the middle convinced me it was MJ, but according to the web page, it is nothing to do with him!

As a side note, I don't think the general R4 audience would like it. The NIMBY's, and VI won't like it up em!

They want to hear more scare stories about concreting over the countryside, and losing those beautiful rolling hills forever!

I will be surprised if all 4 episodes are aired. I can hear the fury of the VI's tapping away at the computer and sending their salvo of emails to the BBC headquarters right now.

Edited by 200p

Radio 4 tries a comedy based around finance - Simon Evans Goes to Market. This episode looks at British obsession with investing in houses and land. It's pretty bearish.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0435p0k

LOL! Good stuff.

I was expecting a Square Mile soap opera, but it's a presentation. MSW has a luuvly voice.

I liked his description of the housing ladder - "one of those rope constructions swinging from the belly of a Sea King helicopter in a North Sea storm".

LOL! Good stuff.

I was expecting a Square Mile soap opera, but it's a presentation. MSW has a luuvly voice.

I liked his description of the housing ladder - "one of those rope constructions swinging from the belly of a Sea King helicopter in a North Sea storm".

His descriptions of renting vs buying were also very funny IMO.

As a side note, I don't think the general R4 audience would like it. The NIMBY's, and VI won't like it up em!

They want to hear more scare stories about concreting over the countryside, and losing those beautiful rolling hills forever!

I will be surprised if all 4 episodes are aired. I can hear the fury of the VI's tapping away at the computer and sending their salvo of emails to the BBC headquarters right now.

I listen to R4 in the car. The level of house price enthusiasm/scepticism varies. I'd say the former shades it in news bulletins, but the content in between is mostly head-shaking.

Stop reading/listening to the news - it gives a false impression. But does that include HPC?

LOL! Good stuff.

I see the 'ladder' as a newlywed couple in their 20s, with a HTB contract stuffed into their mouths, looking under-fed, a load of overdue bills stuffed into the pockets of their clothing, strain on their red faces which are buckling under the weight of feet on their shoulders....

...then looking upwards, them supporting a high tower of ever better fed people, with bigger and bigger smiles on their faces, all standing on each others shoulders... each with dreamy-bubbles from their heads showing a house, and a bit £number of "what it is worth."

12 months ago, you would not have heard any of it. Get ready to tumble.

+1

Good to hear Merryn Somerset Webb's argument, words to the effect of "if you understand global interest rates and where they are going, then you understand bricks and mortar as an investment - if you don't know where global interest rates are going next, you don't understand bricks and mortar as an investment - don't be fooled into believing that you do understand it, just because you know that the primer goes on before the undercoat when you paint the front door". Summary of Property Ladder was also spot on.

The notion that you can't fool all of the people all of the time comes to mind.

He went on to suggests that these tempest-buffeted rescue helicopters were "piloted by gibbons"

Here are some gibbons

1199px-Hylobates_lar_pair_of_white_and_b

And here, for no reason, is Stuart Law, CEO of Assetz Plc

stuart-web.jpg

I see the 'ladder' as a newlywed couple in their 20s, with a HTB contract stuffed into their mouths, looking under-fed, a load of overdue bills stuffed into the pockets of their clothing, strain on their red faces which are buckling under the weight of feet on their shoulders....

...then looking upwards, them supporting a high tower of ever better fed people, with bigger and bigger smiles on their faces, all standing on each others shoulders... each with dreamy-bubbles from their heads showing a house, and a bit £number of "what it is worth."

Perfect - We just need someone to draw this!

LOL! Good stuff.

You forgot to say "being piloted by a gibbon!". I really liked that in comparison too.

Perfect - We just need someone to draw this!

Good idea! I will get to it!

Although, I might need to wait until the weekend before I have some time!

Edited by renting til I die

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0435p0k

Very funny - on economics and even Buy To Let.

at 23 minutes "The key with buy to let seems to be to not buy anything that anyone would actually want to own.If you buy anything that people do want to live in you will be up against people who do want to live in it and the price will go up. Whereas, what you want is something that people will only consider living in if they can convince themselves that they are going through an unfortunate phase, possibly transitional, and therefore they're renting.Then you're only going to be competing against other profiteering lizards like yourself"