House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wurzel Of Highbridge

Get It On The Market Quick - Emigration Wowes

http://www.perthpoms.com/forum/renting-real-estate/15352-selling-house-uk-when-sell.html

Hi...we are moving to Perth after Xmas (in time for school to start Feb 2015) and we are tossing up on when we should sell our house.

Poster 1:

We tried to sell our house 6 months before we left the UK for Perth in December 2011, it didn't sell, so fortunately a very good friend of ours who was renting at the time agreed to rent it
Poster 2:
we are struggling selling ours, and worried it will push back our move
Poster 3:We left our house on market still trying to sell it, so we have rent here and mortgage back in England.
Poster 4:We had estate agents in to value our house for sale and also rental (the sale agent told off the us to rent vs sell and wait 2-3 years for the predicted boom in our area - which has already started).

Poster 5:

hi, I, I would recommend putting on the market ASAP. We have had 4 months of stress! We put ours up at the end of jan, sold within a week but then the buyers messed us around and we had to pull out. Since then we have had 3 silly offers, and lots of viewings. Know I sound negative but we have been messed around so much with buyers saying yes, love it, want it but can 't afford it!

I am expecting to see 'time on the market' shoot up now that the MMR bubble has popped.

Poster 5:

hi, I, I would recommend putting on the market ASAP. We have had 4 months of stress! We put ours up at the end of jan, sold within a week but then the buyers messed us around and we had to pull out. Since then we have had 3 silly offers, and lots of viewings. Know I sound negative but we have been messed around so much with buyers saying yes, love it, want it but can 't afford it!

Yes, 3 'silly' offers! No doubt at what the buyers could actually afford! (the offers were probably still too high!)

Edited by renting til I die

Yes, 3 'silly' offers! No doubt at what the buyers could actually afford! (the offers were probably still too high!)

Yes, no '3 silly offers and 1 good one'

If you only get 3 offers and they're all 'silly' thats probably, er, what the market will bear.

'we have been messed around so much with buyers saying yes, love it, want it but can 't afford it!'

There's a clue in there somewhere.

'we have been messed around so much with buyers saying yes, love it, want it but can 't afford it!'

Um, no don't tell me.... ummmmm..... I know! It's that our house is so lovely it is out of most peoples' price range!

Another thing to consider for emigrants is capital gains. I've seen a couple of people say they couldn't sell their house before they moved to Canada, so they rented it out, and can now sell it for about what they paid. But they moved when the Canadian dollar was at $1.6 and it's now closer to $2, so they make nothing in pounds, yet the Canadian government see that as a gain in Canadian dollars and want capital gains tax.

For example, house bought for 200k pounds, worth 150k when they emigrated at $1.6, sold for 200k at $2 = zero capital gain in the UK, but $160,000 capital gain in Canada.

Just another reason why the whole international landlord thing isn't a good idea.

The clue is to take the silly offer from the one who can proceed to buy, then make a silly offer on the one you want to buy from someone that has to sell......works every time. ;)

Edited by winkie

Another thing to consider for emigrants is capital gains. I've seen a couple of people say they couldn't sell their house before they moved to Canada, so they rented it out, and can now sell it for about what they paid. But they moved when the Canadian dollar was at $1.6 and it's now closer to $2, so they make nothing in pounds, yet the Canadian government see that as a gain in Canadian dollars and want capital gains tax.

For example, house bought for 200k pounds, worth 150k when they emigrated at $1.6, sold for 200k at $2 = zero capital gain in the UK, but $160,000 capital gain in Canada.

Just another reason why the whole international landlord thing isn't a good idea.

It's not quite that bad since they only care about the gain since you arrived in Canada, but the general point stands.