House Price Crash Forum

Scottish Independence Bid Flags Questions About Union Jack

HOLA441

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/14/uk-scotland-independence-flag-idUKKBN0DU11320140514

For centuries the Union Jack has been the symbol of British power across the globe but a bid by secessionists in Scotland to break the union with England has thrust the future of the red-white-and-blue flag into question.

Gracing gunboats, guitars and even iPhones, the Union Flag has by turns served as a banner of imperial might and of British identity for everyone from monarchs to the Sex Pistols.

But Scotland's white-on-blue diagonal St Andrew's cross could be cut out of the flag if Scots vote to leave the United Kingdom in a referendum on Sept. 18.

As the Union Flag has not been adopted as Britain's official flag, even the prospect of independence has unfurled a quandary for admirers as no one has full authority over the flag.

"This situation is terribly British in that we are almost unique among developed nations in muddling through," said Charles Ashburner, chief executive of the London-based Flag Institute, a charity that studies and documents flags.

Muddling through is a national trait it sounds the perfect flag.

HOLA442

Even though a yes vote is not likely, there are many interesting points that come from a yes vote including this.

I think if there was a yes vote, the remaining bit of the UK would just come up with some bizarre retrospective reason as to why the blue bit has to stay.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Not for that many centuries, it was modified when Ireland was pinched and that was, what, 250 years ago? It's changed in the past, don't see the big deal in changing it again if needs be.

I don't see any need to change it if the Scots go, all these arguments about the flat, the pound etc are stupid.

HOLA445

I don't see any need to change it if the Scots go, all these arguments about the flat, the pound etc are stupid.

still reckon if the scots vote to stay,the english should have a referendum as to whether we should let them.

HOLA446

I have never been keen on the Union Flag from the purely aesthetic point of view. If it is changed because of Scotland leaving, I can think of no reason why Wales should not be recognised in the new flag alongside, and on an equal footing with, England and Northern Ireland

It seems incongruous to incorporate the Welsh dragon, though, when the (incidentally unofficial) flags of Scotland, England and (Northern) Ireland incorporated into the Union Flag are the flags of the respective patron saints. By that reasoning, the flag of St David should be incorporated into the new flag.

However, St David's flag is black and yellow, so the result new UK flag would likely be a flag that is an even gaudier mess than the current Union Flag.

Also, as an agnostic, i dislike the use of patron saint's flags being included, as I do not like to be reminded that I live in one of the world's two remaining theocracies, and an undemocratic one at that.

Perhaps we need a radical rethink and have a flag that reflects what the UK stands for. Housing bubbles, subservience to the City of London and the EU, NIMBYism and coruption should all be represented, if only to hold a mirror up to ourselves.

HOLA447

I have never been keen on the Union Flag from the purely aesthetic point of view. If it is changed because of Scotland leaving, I can think of no reason why Wales should not be recognised in the new flag alongside, and on an equal footing with, England and Northern Ireland

It seems incongruous to incorporate the Welsh dragon, though, when the (incidentally unofficial) flags of Scotland, England and (Northern) Ireland incorporated into the Union Flag are the flags of the respective patron saints. By that reasoning, the flag of St David should be incorporated into the new flag.

However, St David's flag is black and yellow, so the result new UK flag would likely be a flag that is an even gaudier mess than the current Union Flag.

Also, as an agnostic, i dislike the use of patron saint's flags being included, as I do not like to be reminded that I live in one of the world's two remaining theocracies, and an undemocratic one at that.

Perhaps we need a radical rethink and have a flag that reflects what the UK stands for. Housing bubbles, subservience to the City of London and the EU, NIMBYism and coruption should all be represented, if only to hold a mirror up to ourselves.

I always thought there was no Welsh flag incorporated in the Union Flag because Wales had never been a kingdom? Or was it excluded on aesthetic grounds?

HOLA448
HOLA449

Archived