House Price Crash Forum

If Scotland Became Independent Would It Affect How The Remaining Uk Is Viewed?

reddog

HOLA441

Don't want to get into the rights and wrongs of whether Scotland will become independent.

But if Scotland did become independent, wouldn't that make other countries question their relationship with the remainder of the UK?

In my opinion the UK gain some unusual historic advantages due to being the number one super power in the 19th century, such as:

-UK has an influence on world interest rates via LIBOR (obviously this may soon change anyway)

-UK has an influence on the Gold price, via the “London gold Fix”

-UK legal system often used and respected outside the UK

-England, Scotland, N Ireland and Wales play and separate football teams, even though it is technically one country

If the UK were to re-configure, could these and many other thing be up for negotiation? Or would other countries just let the UK continue with these “Grandfathered in” rights?

It's not clear which way the Scot's are going to jump, but maybe this could be a Black Swan?

HOLA442

What happened when Ireland left?

We've already got a handy name to keep the pretense up. Greater London.

True, but in 1922 Britain was still a massive power, so pretty easy to sweep under the carpet. I don't think that is so true today.

HOLA443

True, but in 1922 Britain was still a massive power, so pretty easy to sweep under the carpet. I don't think that is so true today.

No by 1922 Britain was effectively a bankrupt empire falling apart. The second world war finished us off. Once the Victorians decided to go with we are superior to everyone and went with splendid isolation the empire was dead.

The real question is how important is London to the UK? If London left would everyone else be better off?

HOLA444

No by 1922 Britain was effectively a bankrupt empire falling apart.

By massive, I meant it was able to maintain a pretence as a world power, with a lot of bad stuff going on not very far below the surface.

HOLA445

Don't want to get into the rights and wrongs of whether Scotland will become independent.

But if Scotland did become independent, wouldn't that make other countries question their relationship with the remainder of the UK?

In my opinion the UK gain some unusual historic advantages due to being the number one super power in the 19th century, such as:

-UK has an influence on world interest rates via LIBOR (obviously this may soon change anyway)

-UK has an influence on the Gold price, via the “London gold Fix”

-UK legal system often used and respected outside the UK

-England, Scotland, N Ireland and Wales play and separate football teams, even though it is technically one country

If the UK were to re-configure, could these and many other thing be up for negotiation? Or would other countries just let the UK continue with these “Grandfathered in” rights?

It's not clear which way the Scot's are going to jump, but maybe this could be a Black Swan?

seems par for the course now.

there are seperatist movements cropping up all over europe.

ie ukraine/russia/greece/cyprus

spain/catalonia

we just have to face facts and say there is some merit in "super-blocs" of which many factions in the EU do not feel culturally obliged to the present.

ie latin countries better off joining brazil/argentina etc,

uk/scots/irish better off in USA/Canada bloc(funnily enough some scandinavian countries feel the same way)

some of eastern europe+greece+cyprus better off with russia.

leaving franco-german central(northern) europe as a hub for those like minded.

silly to fight it really, it's better to have an amicable divorce than be stuck in an unhappy marriage.

HOLA446
HOLA447

By massive, I meant it was able to maintain a pretence as a world power, with a lot of bad stuff going on not very far below the surface.

The pretence was the Royal Navy and even by this stage the cost of having a Fleet in every corner of the globe was too much. The pressure was so great that during WWI we had a treaty with the Japanese to protect the far east for us.

By 1939, the empire was dead and the domination of the Royal Navy was lost as our carrier force was crap flying bi-planes off them. The empire was lost due incompetence and the same feckers are still in charge now, this time killing the host nation.

Still at least we've got the X-factor.

HOLA448

could get interesting.

maybe it is our lot in life to give everything up for the sake of the new order.ie we crate all the fancy technology etc for a totally micromanaged society,but end up beingbrought down and/or removed by something before the "killer app" for global social compliance is unveiled to the world at large.

maybe it's deliberate.

maybe we are masters at snatching victory from the jaws of defeat, but we must actually be bankrupted ,defeated and basically left for dead ,in order to achieve the final victory(which has nothing to do with world rulership or hegemony down here)

maybe that's because it's a set-up(and we were the bait).

the opposition have spent so much time and effort actually trying in all earnest to screw us over,perhaps if we have a get out of jail free card then we should let them have their 15 minutes of fame....it will be their last.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

It's a small island, we all have lots in common, why let politicians carve it up into little pieces?

I lived in Scotland for a while! I found it a very friendly place! We are all Britons as you say!

I personally would not like Scotland to leave, but it IS up the the people of Scotland!

I am as pissed off with the Westminster twonks, whose knowledge goes no further than the Picadilly line, making laws for us Turnip Land folk, as I am sure you are! Actually I believe you are in Pastie Land! And the most "English" of people are the Welsh, and I like that place too!

HOLA4412

I lived in Scotland for a while! I found it a very friendly place! We are all Britons as you say!

I personally would not like Scotland to leave, but it IS up the the people of Scotland!

I am as pissed off with the Westminster twonks, whose knowledge goes no further than the Picadilly line, making laws for us Turnip Land folk, as I am sure you are! Actually I believe you are in Pastie Land! And the most "English" of people are the Welsh, and I like that place too!

We'm far west of Westminster me babber!

The Welsh, and the "West Welsh" of Devon and Cornwall are the most British down south, East Anglians would be the most English, hence the name.

HOLA4413

Not entirely. I am Scottish, but, living in England, I will be allowed no say at the ballot box.

On the other hand, I have never felt the urge to dress up in a plaid skirt with a bogus fancy-dress 'clan' tartan, popularised by Mr & Mrs A Saxe-Coburg-Gotha in the 19th century, because it was supposedly a 'kilt'. So I doubt I would fit in anyway.

HOLA4414

No by 1922 Britain was effectively a bankrupt empire falling apart. The second world war finished us off. Once the Victorians decided to go with we are superior to everyone and went with splendid isolation the empire was dead.

The real question is how important is London to the UK? If London left would everyone else be better off?

A quarter of the world map was coloured red - the British Empire's difficulties did not become apparent for many decades after 1922.

I think that Scotland leaving would be a major blow to the prestige of the country - perhaps that would be a good thing given how rapacious our national elite have been - but it will mean a diminution of Britain.

HOLA4415

It's a small island, we all have lots in common, why let politicians carve it up into little pieces?

Malta is a TINY island! They seem to have a stable government. Small population tend to be closer to their governments, better representation. Doubt Iceland could have thrown their bankers out if they couldnt get so close to their govt.

Describing it as being 'carved' is just a loaded word...does the existence of local authorities lead to great divisions within the UK? Different systems mean more choices.

People just fear change IMO...its the nagging 'what if' at the back of their mind that prevents them for voting for scottish independence/freedom.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I travel frequently around Asia. Most Asians think English = England = Britain. They have never heard of Wales and ask me where in England Scotland is. Doubt anyone would notice or question. England is seen as the power with the rest being appendages.

Even in Britain, England was often used synonymously with Britain, especially in Victorian times.

'Britain' is also rather vague and confusing, it has meant so many different things over the centuries. The Republic of Ireland is still part of the British Isles, though the Irish won't like anyone pointing that out. 'Great Britain' is only the mainland, the biggest island.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Britain is a great country! I think we should stick together to fight the Frogs, Wogs, Spicks, Dagos, Choges, Nips and Krauts! :(

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived