House Price Crash Forum
Darkman

Billionaire Properties No One Would Live In

http://www.therichest.com/luxury/celebrity-home/billionaire-properties-no-one-would-live-in/

Wealthy people don’t really have to worry about taking care of their belongings. Either their staff handles such busy work or they just let things go. Tomorrow is another shopping day and anything is replaceable.

Recently, we heard about some of the world’s most expensive properties in the north-west part of London, near the Hampstead area, on one of the most exclusive streets in the world – Bishops Avenue. Evidently, many of the mansions on the street are not being taken care of and falling into conditions that are beyond repair.

What’s a billionaire to do? Don’t waste anytime feeling sorry for them, as they know exactly what they are doing. While these estates have remained vacant for decades, the owners have done nothing to save them from their fate. In the meantime the property values of these moldy, crumbling mansions continues to increase. So they really can’t lose.

Isn't it heart warming to see our Govt. do so much to tackle these housing issues?

*Just remove if a repost*

The sparky in me noticed that one of them wasn't even lived in since it was renovated the first time. You can see coiled up cables in the ceiling ready for fittings, and a switch point that hasn't been second fixed yet.

If the government starts meddling, then billionaires would sell and London would crash.

Property rights are sacred, I own it, it is private property, it has nothing to do with anybody else!

Edited by 200p

.....there are people living in them, the staff they pay to live in them.

Incorrect, assuming you're not being sarcastic.

The properties pictured are clearly falling apart. And it does make me feel a tad angry seeing inhabitable spaces left to ruin when people need good homes to live in!

Edited by Darkman

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/02/world/europe/a-slice-of-london-so-exclusive-even-the-owners-are-visitors.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&

A Slice of London So Exclusive Even the Owners Are Visitors

LONDON — An odd thing was happening, or rather not happening, as dusk fell the other day across Belgravia, home to some of the world’s most valuable real estate: almost no one seemed to be coming home. Perhaps half the windows were dark.

It seems that practically the only people who can afford to live there don’t actually want to. Last year, the real estate firm Savills found that at least 37 percent of people buying property in the most expensive neighborhoods of central London did not intend them to be primary residences.

Paul Dimoldenberg, leader of the Labour opposition in Westminster Council, said the situation had reached a “tipping point” and was starting to concern lawmakers.

“Some of the richest people in the world are buying property here as an investment,” he said. “They may live here for a fortnight in the summer, but for the rest of the year they’re contributing nothing to the local economy. The specter of new buildings where there are no lights on is a real problem.”

Incorrect, assuming you're not being sarcastic.

The properties pictured are clearly falling apart. And it does make me feel a tad angry seeing inhabitable spaces left to ruin when people need good homes to live in!

All they are mainly is a store of tax efficient value......houses on plots like this are very often demolished and a new building put in its place.....often a place that looks like a fine house but is really leasehold flats, they still own the land. Until they can get permission the place can be left to rot.....behind all situations there are reasons why something is happening.

All they are mainly is a store of tax efficient value......houses on plots like this are very often demolished and a new building put in its place.....often a place that looks like a fine house but is really leasehold flats, they still own the land. Until they can get permission the place can be left to rot.....behind all situations there are reasons why something is happening.

No doubt there's a financial reason for it. I'm sure the owners gain otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Unfortunately this trend does not benefit Britain or British people, so I hope something will be done about it. Though I won't hold my breath...

No doubt there's a financial reason for it. I'm sure the owners gain otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Unfortunately this trend does not benefit Britain or British people, so I hope something will be done about it. Though I won't hold my breath...

Amazed they haven't been squatted before getting to those states.

(does anybody actually squat any more, or can the old bill legally crack skulls and forcibly evict these days?)

Amazed they haven't been squatted before getting to those states

I understand that they have 24/7 security presence and surveillance at a lot of those properties, else they would have been squatted in by now. Let's face it, the owners can afford it.

I understand that they have 24/7 security presence and surveillance at a lot of those properties, else they would have been squatted in by now. Let's face it, the owners can afford it.

Amazing that they would pay for such security and not pay someone to fix a leaky roof to prevent the whole carcass rotting. Squatters would likely improve their properties for them free of charge!

Amazing that they would pay for such security and not pay someone to fix a leaky roof to prevent the whole carcass rotting. Squatters would likely improve their properties for them free of charge!

The bricks are worth peanuts.....it is the land with the planning permission that is the only thing of any value, maintainance and other ongoing costs are more of a drain than a benefit.....don't forget squatters rights have been amended recently so that they are not anylonger so much of a right. ;)