House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shindigger

Tame Fox Cub

Was woken by the sound of a very tame fox cub having a go at one of my ducks this morning.

He's just shown up again after about 10 days away. Last time he just came for a mooch, hes escalated things! Hes bitten the duck on the wing.

I have an air gun, and have shot near him to scare him off.

I then went looking for him after he ran off and he came to say hello!

There is simply no way i can stand 5 yards from this little fella and shoot him with an airgun.

Mainly cos it wouldn't kill him, plus i don't want to.

Never been so close to a fox. Cute. BUT A KILLER!!

If i don't eradicate/remove him, he's going to kill my 5 ducks, next doors chickens, and my cat.

Do councils get involved with urban foxes?

He needs trapping and dumping in the proper countryside to take his chance.

Wish i was a cold hearted *******, he'd be dead by now.

EDIT:

Whahey! 5000 posts.

Do i win anything?

That's a hard one, I couldn't have shot a fox that came up wagging its tail to say hello either. But I wouldn't want it eating my cat.

Depends on your council, you'll have to have a look on their website. Mine used to come out and do pest control for rats for free then they stopped last year. Result - reports of lots more rats.

Never been so close to a fox. Cute. BUT A KILLER!!

This is the crux of it. I don't think I could've dispatched the little fella either*, but you can't just leave him to lord it up on your estate, the consequences are inevitable, as you rightly acknowledge. Contract the deed out to a local youth at a pre-agreed price per pelt (there'll be others where he came from)?

(*I might have mustered a swift kick in the chops though)

Dump it in the countryside, it’ll die anyway. It’s an urban fox.

Just kill it, and any others that come after your ducks.

Dump it in the countryside, it’ll die anyway. It’s an urban fox.

Just kill it, and any others that come after your ducks.

True, but we're talking north Dorset town here, where the "countryside" is literally 5 minutes away. I think hes been reared by some kindly gals that work in the nearby nursing home. Anyway, judging by this mornings encounter he seems to have developed his kill instinct.

I have plenty of "associates" who would jump at the chance of dispatching him, but as i understand it, shotguns can't be used on someone else's land.

Also, its a bit too built up to be let loose with an over and under round here.

I still think trapping is best for it, my managerie, and my conscience.

I will resort to 30 yard pot shots, at his hind quarters with my airgun, as a mild deterrent for now.

Ive been literally 3 yards from the little git. Not scared of me at all.

I live in the countryside and do not see why we should have your urban foxes dumped in a sheep rearing location.

If you must, we will swap you some rats. They will do far better in a town.

I'd say large suburban gardens are a foxes natural habitat these days...certainly less hostile than the countryside. We have visiting foxes in our back garden, but they were few and far between when we lived in the countryside.

I doubt it'll kill your cat, I've seen a cat chase a fox before so I'm pretty sure there's a bit of give and take there. Backed up by the (admittedly biased) National Fox Welfare Society:

Whilst our society would not be stupid enough to suggest that foxes will never kill cats what we can say is there has never been a reported case of this happening. Usually foxes and cats have a mutual respect for one another.

http://www.nfws.org.uk/fox-problems-fox-repellents.html

Shutting your ducks in at night might reduce the risk. You could always lock them in with the men ;)

I doubt it'll kill your cat, I've seen a cat chase a fox before so I'm pretty sure there's a bit of give and take there. Backed up by the (admittedly biased) National Fox Welfare Society:

http://www.nfws.org.uk/fox-problems-fox-repellents.html

Shutting your ducks in at night might reduce the risk. You could always lock them in with the men ;)

Arf!

Ducks are shut up at night. But this little git came in to the garden in broad daylight. 10am this morning.

My cat brought a rat in this am. He's a killer too. You're right, he can probably handle himself.

Today has felt like being stuck in some kind of suburban Attenborough doc.

BTW. Point taken over the sig.

I won't personally be voting for them, but if they did get in, it might be very interesting.

Arf!

Ducks are shut up at night. But this little git came in to the garden in broad daylight. 10am this morning.

My cat brought a rat in this am. He's a killer too. You're right, he can probably handle himself.

Today has felt like some kind of suburban Attenborough doc.

That's the problem when people feed them, it mucks up their natural behaviour patterns and makes them harder to deal with. The dog idea sounds good although you'll probably have to train the dog to keep away from the ducks as well so maybe, given the tameness of your particular cub, you could have a go at training the fox first!

That's the problem when people feed them, it mucks up their natural behaviour patterns and makes them harder to deal with. The dog idea sounds good although you'll probably have to train the dog to keep away from the ducks as well so maybe, given the tameness of your particular cub, you could have a go at training the fox first!

Fascinating stuff.

That's pretty much how close i got to him. Twice.

I have a video,might upload to Youtube at some point.

I'm sure he would take some meat out of my hand. Think he's been reared as a pet then let go.

Wouldn't ever trust him around poultry though.

Have actually put the canards up for sale tonight, complete with house.

Will use money to buy another dog.....

I will resort to 30 yard pot shots, at his hind quarters with my airgun, as a mild deterrent for now

Shooting it in the bum is a bit cruel if you're using an air rifle.. you don't want to cause it a long term injury / slow death.

If you're planning to go down that route I'd use a BB gun or something else that probably won't break the skin but just scare it enough that it gets the message. If that's not an option try and find some plastic pellets for your rifle or something.

I believe using a shot gun to dispatch it properly is ok on someone else's land provided you have permission, but I wouldn't do that in a built up area (not least because of the fuss the neighbours will make when little Timmy looks out of the window and sees a fox having it brains blown out.

You could try peeing on the ground.

Some foxes don't like this and will avoid the area. Unfortunately, others do.

Shooting it in the bum is a bit cruel if you're using an air rifle.. you don't want to cause it a long term injury / slow death.

If you're planning to go down that route I'd use a BB gun or something else that probably won't break the skin but just scare it enough that it gets the message. If that's not an option try and find some plastic pellets for your rifle or something.

I believe using a shot gun to dispatch it properly is ok on someone else's land provided you have permission, but I wouldn't do that in a built up area (not least because of the fuss the neighbours will make when little Timmy looks out of the window and sees a fox having it brains blown out.

I tend to agree. I am about 30 yards away in mitigation. He did show up a few weeks back but this am he escalated things.

My garden backs on to some public land, nobody uses it but me and a neighbour, but it is too populated for a shotgun.

Hes a lucky git this fox, cos nearly everyone i play cricket with would have killed him by now.

Another neighbour reckons they have a trap, so will try to trap him and release 10 miles away.

Where he will prob get shot by one of the aforementioned cricketers...

Fascinating stuff.

That's pretty much how close i got to him. Twice.

I have a video,might upload to Youtube at some point.

I'm sure he would take some meat out of my hand. Think he's been reared as a pet then let go.

Wouldn't ever trust him around poultry though.

Have actually put the canards up for sale tonight, complete with house.

Will use money to buy another dog.....

The duck house or the whole house? Seems a little extreme... :P

I'm surprised your cat doesn't harrass the ducks anyway? Mine brings in pigeons and magpies, I'm pretty sure he'd at least try for ducks if there were any around!

The duck house or the whole house? Seems a little extreme... :P

I'm surprised your cat doesn't harrass the ducks anyway? Mine brings in pigeons and magpies, I'm pretty sure he'd at least try for ducks if there were any around!

He stalks em, but doesn't follow through.

He brings all sorts in, pretty much a mouse a day for the last 10 days, then today a rat.

Not many birds thankfully.

Though he did bring a wren in the other night. I rescued that.

Nice idea. Walk out to the country. Find some fox poo from real big feral male country fox and smear it all around the boundary of your garden. Keeps neighbours away too.

Would probably give the ducks a collective breakdown but it's a small price to pay.

Thats the weird thing.

When foxy is about, even though they cant see him, next doors chickens go completely apeshit.

Honking and clucking galore this morning.

You could try peeing on the ground.

Some foxes don't like this and will avoid the area. Unfortunately, others do.

Only male wee works!

He stalks em, but doesn't follow through.

He brings all sorts in, pretty much a mouse a day for the last 10 days, then today a rat.

Not many birds thankfully.

Though he did bring a wren in the other night. I rescued that.

I rescue the wrens too but I let him eat the pigeons. Saves on cat food!

I get every bloody animal in the Kingdom passing through my garden. The biggest PITA is badgers. Bring on the cull, I say. Badgers are fearless, noisy armoured vehicles. Foxes are chicken and a bit of civil engineering keeps them away from the hens. However, I no longer have hens as they were killed by the mink (which can weasel their way through chicken wire). My veg patch is a disaster since the deer found it.

My children would love a tame fox, though. They've already had a tame magpie.