House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Express - Madness Of Britain's Handout Culture: Scroungers Rake In £85,000 A Year From Benefits

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/475772/Madness-of-Britain-s-handout-culture-Scroungers-rake-in-85-000-a-year-from-benefits

The worst scroungers were paid three times the average working wage by taxpayers.

Figures revealed in an answer to MPs laid bare the true extent of the handouts chaos during Labour’s time in power.

The scale of the payments was described as ludicrous ­yesterday by Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith and caused outrage among hard-working families.

The figures showed some claimants received £1,107 a week, or £57,564-a-year. A working person would need a salary of £85,000 to take that amount home – more than three times the average salary of £26,000.

As the data only relates to average payments, it is likely that some of the jobless got even more. Britain’s massive benefits bill caused Mr Duncan Smith to push through radical welfare reforms, including an annual cap of £26,000 or £500 a week to restore “fairness”.

MP's calling the workshy scroungers. They should fill in expense forms like upper class scroungers and get given a free house.

The real handouts are to MPs and to the mega-corporations, banking and non-banking.

As someone has already said, "F*** off baldy!"

I read this and thought and saw IDS's mug and thought they were getting at farmers scrounging off the EU. Talk about putting 2+2 together and making five!

Edited by aSecureTenant

Won't click obviously, but I'm guessing this isn't about Nigel Farage's expenses.

Meh, they are still getting this. Just work for 16 hrs per week or claim some sort of disability and you can claim "working tax credits" or "PIP/DLA" which exempts you from the cap. Thousands have suddenly become "self employed" = working tax credits. IDS is lying through his ******ing teeth.

Its all a game. You can't tell the truth in politics, you must use rhetoric to sway public opinion. That's what these stories are...and that's why newspaper owners are powerful .The reality is austerity never happened and we need to stop pensions and healthcare growing faster than national income. That's the only way to start paying down our debt. Labour have no plan, the conservatives are crashing down on the welfare budget but at some point will have to address their majority voters (old people) and do something after the next election.

If you can imagine not really caring about anything else except getting into power then you can understand why politicians do and say the things they do. Otherwise, to the well meaning people of the country it must seem very odd.

The real handouts are to MPs and to the mega-corporations, banking and non-banking.

As someone has already said, "F*** off baldy!"

Baldy doesn't care.

He lives in his in-laws nice country pile we all subsidise to the tune of £3000 odd a week.

But in Ian Duncan Myth's world that's obviously different...

Baldy doesn't care.

He lives in his in-laws nice country pile we all subsidise to the tune of £3000 odd a week.

But in Ian Duncan Myth's world that's obviously different...

In any event, the cap limits welfare payments to £500 per week, so the Express is either being historical or is hysterically making this up.

The joke is that Osborne's flagship housing policy-help to buy- is simply making things worse by inflating house prices which means more people renting which means more upward pressure on rents- rents that are then often subsidized via housing benefit.

I was doing some database work at a council last week on their Housing Applications system.

Of the several hundred applications I looked at there wasn't a single person who wasn't in work yet at least 50% were getting housing benefit.

This is in a relatively expensive area of the country and the wages were nowhere near the cost of renting (let alone buying).

A generation ago these people could be buying a nice family home simply by the virtue they had full time work (although a lot of people only did around 20 hours a week if they worked in retail/food) now they are "scroungers" according to the express.

If you are working full time and have to have housing subsidised by other tax payers then the problem is the cost of housing not people wanting a hand out.

Scrounger prize goes to IDS whose family estate has had 1.5 million E in handouts in last 10 yrs

old article

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jul/01/farm-subsidies-blatant-transfer-of-cash-to-rich

This same old ploy again, demonize those on benefits to scare the rest into obeying the state.

As others have said IDS can ****** off, his family are raking in subsidies for nothing more than owning land.

This same old ploy again, demonize those on benefits to scare the rest into obeying the state.

As others have said IDS can ****** off, his family are raking in subsidies for nothing more than owning land.

So do you dislike IDS for being a hypocrite, or a sponger?

You make it sound like you'd be just fine with it if he kept schtum about others...

I was doing some database work at a council last week on their Housing Applications system.

Of the several hundred applications I looked at there wasn't a single person who wasn't in work yet at least 50% were getting housing benefit.

This is in a relatively expensive area of the country and the wages were nowhere near the cost of renting (let alone buying).

A generation ago these people could be buying a nice family home simply by the virtue they had full time work (although a lot of people only did around 20 hours a week if they worked in retail/food) now they are "scroungers" according to the express.

If you are working full time and have to have housing subsidised by other tax payers then the problem is the cost of housing not people wanting a hand out.

Nailed it.

And to be fair, people are slowly waking up to this.

I know a lot of very rightwing anti-benefit families who have now seen their kids forced to claim benefits to afford housing despite working.

Nailed it.

I know a lot of very rightwing anti-benefit families who have now seen their kids forced to claim benefits to afford housing despite working.

So are they moderating their views on planning and banking?!

Nailed it.

I know a lot of very rightwing anti-benefit families who have now seen their kids forced to claim benefits to afford housing despite working

Housing benefit is the problem not the solution. If anything this should make them even more anti benefits.

Yes but surely if these handouts were not available the price of property would not be so high, its an ever increasing spiral being fed by the Government taxpayer and needs breaking.

So are they moderating their views on planning and banking?!

No. Oppose every development everywhere.

I also do lots of work with Planning systems and every development attracts the most over the top and even quite vicious opposition from the grey haired mafia. And before the boomers rightly complain about stereotyping it isn't all of them but I'd say 90% of complainants are retired professional people.

Yes but surely if these handouts were not available the price of property would not be so high, its an ever increasing spiral being fed by the Government taxpayer and needs breaking.

True. So the answer is to build lots of council owned houses never available for sale.