House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CHF

Instrumental Music

Tough one for the resident experts but worth a shot.

My Mrs has been asked to sing at a funeral next week for an old friend of her mothers who used to listen to her sing. She would like an instrumental backing track if possible but We can't seem to find it anywhere.

She has already downloaded a free program that is supposed to remove the vocals but it didn't work.

I've looked on the freelancer type sites that I use but not found a suitable person.

Any ideas? It's ' dancing in my dreams' by Tina turner if it matters (which it probably does as it doesn't have a great deal of 'music')

If any of the in house musicians fancy bashing out an MP3 I'd happily pay for their time!

You need somethink like a Karaoke machine mix where the vocals are on a separate track, and can be turned down!

You need somethink like a Karaoke machine mix where the vocals are on a separate track, and can be turned down!

She used 'audacity' which promises to do this but she wasn't happy with the results. All I would need is my old ghetto blaster with 5 channel Dolby graphic equaliser and turn down the far right one but alas, this technology was scrapped many years ago!

On further examination, this might be the reason it didn't work

This is possible only for certain stereo tracks. When the vocals are exactly the same on both stereo channels, you can remove them by “subtracting” one channel from the other. This works for many studio recordings, where the vocal track is mixed exactly in the center.

You need to find the MIDI file for the track you have chosen (.mid extension) and then play it back on a GM (General MIDI) compatible keyboard or synthesizer or even with a GM compatible soft-synth on a PC/laptop (on Linux that would be Fluidsynth or Timidity, no idea what's available for Windows).

Oh Eagle, now you've gone and upturned my HPC belief system by posting something that I've given an ounce of credence!

Thanks

Get someone with a Spotify subscription. There's all sorts on there. Already found instrumental versions of it. No karaoke though.

You need to find the MIDI file for the track you have chosen (.mid extension) and then play it back on a GM (General MIDI) compatible keyboard or synthesizer or even with a GM compatible soft-synth on a PC/laptop (on Linux that would be Fluidsynth or Timidity, no idea what's available for Windows).

This is a good suggestion with one catch... you need to know what you're doing with a sequencer.

I just got hold of a MIDI file for Baba O'Reilly because I wanted to study how it was put together. I use Reason, because it's fairly easy to get great sounds out of it. The sequencer you choose and your ability to use it is crucial. It's very very easy to end up with a horribly cheesy sounding piece of "music" using a MIDI file.

I'd love to hear what you end up with though :)

This is a good suggestion with one catch... you need to know what you're doing with a sequencer.

I just got hold of a MIDI file for Baba O'Reilly because I wanted to study how it was put together. I use Reason, because it's fairly easy to get great sounds out of it. The sequencer you choose and your ability to use it is crucial. It's very very easy to end up with a horribly cheesy sounding piece of "music" using a MIDI file.

I'd love to hear what you end up with though :)

Join the Pin band of cheese! Which size purple tuxedo would you prefer?

Update: just got back from the funeral. A guy on freelancer offered to do it for free as he said it was easy. He had a look at the track and basically said it wasn't as easy as he thought. She offered to pay him if he could do a 'cover' and for fifty quid he produced a beautiful strings/piano version of the song which she just sang about an hour ago at the wake...

3 cheers for internet freelancing!