House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iLegallyBlonde

I'm Taking My Money And Running But What To Do Next ?

I've decided for an easy life I'm going to take the offer of £249 on my house, I think I could squeeze maybe another £10k but frankly my nerves aren't up to it.

So I'll have about £40k after I've cleared a few debts and paid the agents - where do you put that so GB can't get his hands on it ?

I've decided for an easy life I'm going to take the offer of £249 on my house, I think I could squeeze maybe another £10k but frankly my nerves aren't up to it.

So I'll have about £40k after I've cleared a few debts and paid the agents - where do you put that so GB can't get his hands on it ?

We've got a holding each in premium bonds ( £30k each ) rest in cash and a bit in shares.

Dames

Guest wrongmove

where do you put that so GB can't get his hands on it ?

Buy a property - there's no such thing as Capital Loss Tax...

First Direct are offering 5%, but they don't pay any interest in the month you make a withdrawal.

Open a Euro or CHF account and put some cash away to protect you from a slump in Sterling.

Small amount into shares/commodities/gold, depending on how risky you feel like being.

Just remember not to lose any of it!

For no risk:

Put 3K in a mini-cash ISA - shop around for a good deal. Mini-cash ISAs are tax free.

You will be able to put another 3K into it beginning of April (new tax year).

The rest would do ok in a high interest savings account. Cahoot are currently

doing a rate of 5.25% for 6 months!

Premium bonds - you can put a max of 30K (as poster above stated) - with 30K you are

likely to get a win on average 1 per month (though not guaranteed). Any wins are tax

free. Your investment is safe (just like a bank)

Do not go to the pub with a bundle of notes saying the drinks are on me!

:)

ISA allowances are good too... but you'd have to be brave to do the shares bit at the moment I think

:)

First Direct are offering 5%, but they don't pay any interest in the month you make a withdrawal.

Open a Euro or CHF account and put some cash away to protect you from a slump in Sterling.

Small amount into shares/commodities/gold, depending on how risky you feel like being.

Just remember not to lose any of it!

euro's might be a good one,but i prefer yen as the growth prospects look better.

You could try fred's plan and spend the lot on hookers, coke and booze.

After all, you don't want to waste it!

I can't say I disagree with him but as a married mother of three I can't take the hangovers like I used too :P

Hows about spending a tiny fraction of that 40K you just have lying about now and speak to a Financial advisor if you cannot make decissions yourself.

For no risk:

Put 3K in a mini-cash ISA - shop around for a good deal. Mini-cash ISAs are tax free.

You could take out one in each name - I'm assuming you're married or with a partner - so that's 6k taken care of. Look on MSE for tips on which are the best ones.

We have around 6k coming to us soon and were thinking of saving it this way.

Edited by Gillee

Hows about spending a tiny fraction of that 40K you just have lying about now and speak to a Financial advisor if you cannot make decissions yourself.

Chuz, are you a financial adviser by any chance? ;)

LOL I was accepted for a job as a financial advisor once. This was despite my best efforts at being dressed casually at interview and behaving in a relaxed manner.

Ah the good old days... do they still force you to attend interviews when you sign on these days?

I have to say I declined to do the training required - reading a folder full of stuff as I wasn't keen to work for anyone who'd employ me.

You won't squeese another penny because of stamp duty. 10k to you would be 15k to the buyer.

It amazes me that anyone pays above 250k for a house. Give the fat controller 7.5k of MY MONEY for nothing - so he can top up the army of public servant layabouts who retire at 60. Of course people do it because they don't think of it as real money - they just stick on the mortgage and pay 2 or 3 times as much over 25 years.

There is no limit to the stupidity of people.

And people move every 7 years. So in this nutty market you could end up with 30k or 40k of your mortgage having been used to pay stamp duty along the way. Utterly mad.

[/me PUTS TONGUE IN CHEEK]

Buy a big block of weed and sell it to hoodies!

Apparently these kids make £450 a week peddling drugs, so they have expendible income to buy your filth and dont feel immoral whilst doing so.

R.E.S.U.L.T!!!!!

[/me TAKES TONGUE OUT OF CHEEK]

Edited by teddyboy

For no risk:

The rest would do ok in a high interest savings account. Cahoot are currently

doing a rate of 5.25% for 6 months!

Premium bonds - you can put a max of 30K (as poster above stated) - with 30K you are

likely to get a win on average 1 per month (though not guaranteed). Any wins are tax

free. Your investment is safe (just like a bank)

not safe from inflation though - unless your numbers come up