House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Eagle

‘We Kill People Based On Metadata’ Says General Michael Hayden, Former Director Of The Nsa And The Cia

Supporters of the National Security Agency inevitably defend its sweeping collection of phone and Internet records on the ground that it is only collecting so-called “metadata”—who you call, when you call, how long you talk. Since this does not include the actual content of the communications, the threat to privacy is said to be negligible. That argument is profoundly misleading.

Of course knowing the content of a call can be crucial to establishing a particular threat. But metadata alone can provide an extremely detailed picture of a person’s most intimate associations and interests, and it’s actually much easier as a technological matter to search huge amounts of metadata than to listen to millions of phone calls. As NSA General Counsel Stewart Baker has said, “metadata absolutely tells you everything about somebody’s life. If you have enough metadata, you don’t really need content.” When I quoted Baker at a

at Johns Hopkins University, my opponent, General Michael Hayden, former director of the NSA and the CIA, called Baker’s comment “absolutely correct,” and raised him one, asserting, “We kill people based on metadata.”

[...]

The fact that you may have called someone (say, your aunt) who in turn called someone (say, the Pizza Hut delivery guy) who was in turn once called by a suspected terrorist says nothing about whether you’ve engaged in wrongdoing. But it will land you in the NSA’s database of suspected terrorist contacts.

[...]

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2014/may/10/we-kill-people-based-metadata/

So not only does the US regime murder people without a fair trial in various parts of the world using drones (often missing targets and murdering innocent bystanders) but they do all this based on metadata not based on analysis of what the targeted people actually say or write, purely based on who they communicate with!

I'm speechless.

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2014/may/10/we-kill-people-based-metadata/

So not only does the US regime murder people without a fair trial in various parts of the world using drones (often missing targets and murdering innocent bystanders) but they do all this based on metadata not based on analysis of what the targeted people actually say or write, purely based on who they communicate with!

I'm speechless.

I hate them for their freedoms.

The quote doesn't mean they target for killing solely on metadata analysis.

The extra-judicial stuff from the US is chilling because it relates to killing, but I think that's the trend on more ordinary disputes in the UK.

Overall the electronic intelligence gathering is most useful in gauging and forming public opinion.

That's "justice" for you said Humpty Dumpty! :blink:

It's just as well there are moves afoot for gathering data on our locations by forcing us to have GPS 'black boxes' in our cars, and allowing third parties to mine our data from medical and tax records, in addition to the trawling of our communications that already goes on.

That way the secret courts will be better informed when they decide whether or not to summarily execute us.

It's just as well there are moves afoot for gathering data on our locations by forcing us to have GPS 'black boxes' in our cars, and allowing third parties to mine our data from medical and tax records, in addition to the trawling of our communications that already goes on.

That way the secret courts will be better informed when they decide whether or not to summarily execute us.

Courts? Better to use an algorithm, much less risk of the guilty going unpunished.