House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

council dweller

Do You Cut Your Own Hair? Why Not Go To The Barbers Instead?

Well actually it`s because it costs too much bloody money innit...

I was inspired by the `ebay` thread which said that barbers were suffering due to the number of people who have bought some kind of hair cutting device/ trimmers or what have you.

Is this you?

Actually the wife and I have been cutting each others hair for 20 years, had to give it up 3 years ago (too many arguments!) but I bought a Phiips QC 5530 and have continued over the past 3 years. I guess cutting our hair for 23 years has saved us at least £3,000? Yes I know, it`s a long time.

Here`s a tip. Just cut straight up the sides and back and leave the top to go wild. Use a pair of scissors on top sparingly. (did I just describe a short back and sides?) Anyway it`s much better than the usual middle aged mans skin`ed. Looks good on me at least...

Who`s next please?

Well actually it`s because it costs too much bloody money innit...

I was inspired by the `ebay` thread which said that barbers were suffering due to the number of people who have bought some kind of hair cutting device/ trimmers or what have you.

Is this you?

Actually the wife and I have been cutting each others hair for 20 years, had to give it up 3 years ago (too many arguments!) but I bought a Phiips QC 5530 and have continued over the past 3 years. I guess cutting our hair for 23 years has saved us at least £3,000? Yes I know, it`s a long time.

Here`s a tip. Just cut straight up the sides and back and leave the top to go wild. Use a pair of scissors on top sparingly. (did I just describe a short back and sides?) Anyway it`s much better than the usual middle aged mans skin`ed. Looks good on me at least...

Who`s next please?

I bought a good set of Wahl clippers over 30 years ago and have not paid a penny to barbers since.

Just make sure you buy decent quality gear to do the cutting

Me too!

Bought a pair of clippers 14 years ago. Must have saved at least 84 visits to the barber at £8+ per time - £700 ish - since then. Total of £27 spent on clippers.

Wish I could convince the family to have a No 1 all over.

And me!

Me and the missus used to cut each other's hair. After she died, I carried on cutting what little remains of my own hair myself; I just give it a No 1 buzz avery few weeks.

OTOH, I do take my lad to the barbers every now and again since he doesn't trust me to do a decent job. He's probably right.

I've started to go back to the barbers as I realise that this is money that will get spent in the local economy and I'm paying a modest amount of money for something far better than I can manage myself.

Me too.

What did it for me was the insanely repetitious refrain of "Going anywhere nice for your hols?"

Now I only have to shower once and it takes minutes.

I may look like shit though.

Guilty here - bit hit and miss I must admit but then I've no issue with the 'wild' look. Not been to the barbers for maybe 8 years.

...the gardener...

"I wish I could convince my family to have No1 all over"

The mind boggles.

:lol: At least he went for notch '1' else we could've been going very 'niche'!!

Bossy babe......

Sorry I`ve only got photos of myself from the waist down....

Same trimmer?

I do this too though mainly because I hate the hassle/small talk of going rather than the cost. I also have ahem, limited style options considering my receding bouffant

Yet again I don't think HPC is representative...!

Number zero all over. Done it myself for about ten years. Simple and I follow with some nice exfoliation using gloves and soap+glory scrub.

Look.....I`m just trying to keep this thread on topic that`s all.

You`re all sex mad.....!

Mods!!

But what if the mods are sex mad?

For the past couple of years I've let the wife do it but I did go to the barbers for the first time 2 years last month.

Number zero all over. Done it myself for about ten years. Simple and I follow with some nice exfoliation using gloves and soap+glory scrub.

Sorry to derail the thread again, but 'glory scrub'?

Always go to the barbers. Luckily they've pretty much given up trying to talk to me, and I've not got a clue about things like clippers, and certainly don't trust myself with a pair of scissors on my hair (just cut it as short as it'll go without sticking out).

I've been using some babyliss beard clippers on my bonce for about 8 years now. The battery is buggered so it needs to be plugged in about two hours before hand to ensure the motor gets going. I tried a replacement WAHL clipper set but the results aren't as neat and much more hassle keeping the cutters sharp/oiled.