House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Police Ask Blogger To Remove Legitimate Tweet About Ukip

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/12/police-ask-blogger-remove-legitimate-tweet-ukip

Police have asked a blogger to remove a tweet which fact-checked Ukip policies but did not break any laws after receiving a complaint from a Ukip councillor, prompting concern over attempts to stifle debate.

Michael Abberton was visited by two Cambridgeshire police officers on Saturday. He was told he had not committed any crimes and no action was taken against him, but he was asked to delete some of his tweets, particularly a tongue-in-cheek one on 10 reasons to vote for Ukip, such as scrapping paid maternity leave and raising income tax for the poorest 88% of Britons.

Abberton, a Green party member who writes a blog on science and green politics, described the incident on his Axe of Reason blog.

"The police explained that I hadn't broken any law – there was no charge to answer and it really wasn't a police matter.

"They asked me to 'take it down' but I said I couldn't do that as it had already been retweeted and appropriated, copied, many times and I no longer had any control of it (I had to explain to one of the officers what Twitter was and how it worked). They said that they couldn't force me to take it down anyway."

This begs the question why the feck the police turned up in the first place if no law had been broken?

Absolutely. If it wasn't a police matter, why were they there? The fact of them being there made it a police matter. Intimidating innocent members of the public when the police should be protecting them - from influential councillors. :blink:

The Guardian reporting on what it read on an internet blog.

Astounding journalism with absolutely no credibility whatsoever.

A more credible headline would have been 2 Fictitious police officers seek to raise the profile of a Green(ers) Blog.

No law had been broken, the police would not have gone near this with a barge pole.

A more credible headline would have been 2 Fictitious police officers seek to raise the profile of a Green(ers) Blog.

No law had been broken, the police would not have gone near this with a barge pole.

In which case a crime has now been committed?

Ahem:

A Cambridgeshire police spokesman said: "A Ukip councillor came across a tweet which he took exception to. The name of the person on the tweet was identified and that individual was spoken to. We looked at this for offences and there was nothing we could actually identify that required police intervention. Clearly, the councillor was unhappy about the tweets. If every political person was unhappy about what somebody else said about their views, we would have no politics."

That police spokesman needs to go take a course in basic logic.

Ahem:

I stand corrected...

A year or so ago my shed got burgled that of course being a real crime. To busy to come round for 6 days.

Guess I didn't have a pet councillor to hand.

Why does the blogger claim that he then asked the Police if he could Tweet about their visit, and was told that he could not, so he did not Tweet... but still he blogs about it?

A lot of things don't add up. I suspect that the blogger is being highly selective about what he is revealing.

Police are somewhere around the bottom of the pecking order of TPTB. Sometimes (often?) they'll have a word because they've been leaned on by someone higher up the pecking order.

UKIP's wealthy Establishment base is exactly what distinguishes them from the BNP. They can lean on the police, just as police lean on their working-class brethren.

You think this story is bizarre, try this non-political anecdote!

Clearly early intervention is required to determine whether intervention is necessary.

Indeed - a quick look on their mobile phone internet must have been too much effort :)

You think this story is bizarre, try this non-political anecdote!

I don't see anything bizarre in the anecdote.

The police wanted the neighbour's phone, possibly in evidence of calls or text messages stored on it. They mistakenly believed it had been thrown over a fence, when in fact it was within earshot on the other side. The Police politely asked if they could retrieve it, as I doubt they had a warrant and it was simpler and quicker to ask the resident for access.

Clearly early intervention is required to determine whether intervention is necessary.

not sure its legal to post what you just posted

I don't see anything bizarre in the anecdote.

The police wanted the neighbour's phone, possibly in evidence of calls or text messages stored on it. They mistakenly believed it had been thrown over a fence, when in fact it was within earshot on the other side. The Police politely asked if they could retrieve it, as I doubt they had a warrant and it was simpler and quicker to ask the resident for access.

In the US, they would have Swatted the flat, shot the dog and arrested the elderly neighbour.

In the US, they would have Swatted the flat, shot the dog and arrested the elderly neighbour.

Or shot the elderly neighbour and arrested the dog..

Ahem:

I'll wait until they name/shame the said councillor. Bit strange its been omitted everywhere I look. Even then, i'll want to know his/her historical political affiliations.

The police is jammed full of corrupt masons. Frankly id sooner trust a two bit UKIP clowncillor over the police.

Outrage after police pay visit to home of Twitter user because he mocked UKIP policies online with joke manifesto
article-2626218-1DC9549A00000578-10_636x

MP Julian Huppert hits out after Cambridge-based blogger Michael Abberton who was visited by two officers investigating alleged breaches of electoral laws. Mr Abberton was questioned after he posted a picture online mocking what he claimed were UKIP's policies. Police say they were investigating a complaint but have decided to take no further action. Mr Huppert said he had 'huge concerns' about the questioning and has demanded an explanation.

So it was comedy satire.

If sombody put out a leaflet during an election campaign in a party colours without an imprint making it clear who was producing the leaflet that would be a clear electoral offence and has been since the year zero.

The situation is a little less clear with regard to online publications but to paint this as a free speech issue is misleading.

I think part of the problem is UKIP is so desperate for candidates and officials, they really choose anyone.

Here's another one from the other day. I could have told them not to touch her with a barge pole. But she's young and has a vagina, and thus will just be let in, no questions asked.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2625285/Married-UKIP-politician-70-accused-taking-young-female-researcher-strip-club-threatening-trash-reputation-told-pressuring-resign.html

Anyone who's been watching UKIPs ascent knows the extent of her political 'reputation' is of getting intimate with a senior ranking tory before she joined UKIP. So its not the first time she's ended up in a nightclub with a man decades older than her who just happens to occupy a position of power in his party. Helmer is an idiot, but to present her as some kind of damsel in distress seems a bit of a stretch, to say the least. Oddly no paper other than the mail picked up on the Helmer incident, so maybe they actually did their research and didnt bother covering this rubbish.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tory-mp-david-morris-seen-138806