House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turned Out Nice Again

What Does This Ad Campaign Tell Us About Modern Britain?

.. all over the tube right now.

A business college promoting itself as Stephen Potter's School of Lifemanship?

BmneYGLCEAA9tQL.jpg

twitter discussion here:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/beatphil

with most participants "hating on phil" [as programmed] and not detecting any incongruity. i despair of the proles sometimes.

exceptions:

Basically Phil's an arsehole and you can be one too! #BeatPhil

@LSBF your #beatphil campaign is a joke. You use the financial envy of the working class to promote education. "Somehow he earns £10k more"

Possibly the worst ad on the tube right now. Who's it trying to reach? No, i do not want meet or #beatPhil

I'm still an aeroshole, before taking such a course! :huh:

I'm not sure what the point of the Ad is (beyond that it is promoting a course, obviously).

'Phil' is clearly designed to be an irritating tosser, and potential students are being goaded by some assumed jealousy at the idea that people like 'Phil' supposedly earns more than them.

To study for a qualification that can increase one's earnings seems reasonable. To study out of dislike for a fictional cartoon stereotype is daft.

I'd hardly call the ad campaign 'brilliant'.

The litmus test for the college is, does it get students in?

I think the idea is that people will think 'I'm a better person than that bellend Phil, so logically I'll earn even more than that! Where do I sign up for the debts?!!!'

The best way to be unhappy is to compare yourself to other people.

Yes.....last person you would aspire to be like is Phil....15k extra, outside the box he lives in.

Yes.....last person you would aspire to be like is Phil....15k extra, outside the box he lives in.

You can live in my box for next to nothing!

"Phil" has not discovered the "way of Pin"

Dissatisfaction drives progress?

That seems to be the definition of progress these days. And as "progress" isn't a destination, everyone remains dissatisfied.

Isn't telling people that they are miserable the core tactic of advertising.

As the Ad says, there is always a waster in the office that nobody seems to be able to get rid of, and whom the boss seems to love.

In this case, no matter how good you are, your CV says you are, or how good you think you are, the waster will have one over you every time.

Thats life.

As the Ad says, there is always a waster in the office that nobody seems to be able to get rid of, and whom the boss seems to love.

In this case, no matter how good you are, your CV says you are, or how good you think you are, the waster will have one over you every time.

Thats life.

I work with some fine "wasters"!

I remember an old cartoon called "Stressed Eric" who can never please the boss, but there's Eric's work colleague who is good looking, always hitting the targets, getting bonuses and pay rises, and has plenty of sex and gives the ladies plenty of orgasms.

00d464b8b7b102b86ae94a4acfc2ce85.jpg

..................^Stressed Eric......................................^Top worker....................^The Boss...........

Eric would just get stressed over work in each episode, and his vein on his forehead would explode.

They also seem to have ads aimed at people who earn £5k more than the target audience for that poster:

BmpqFCuIIAAu5KM.jpg

That looks like the London underground.

There's plenty of money to be flogging this type of stuff in London.

I think the idea is that people will think 'I'm a better person than that bellend Phil, so logically I'll earn even more than that! Where do I sign up for the debts?!!!'

Either that or aimed at people with low self esteem who subconsciously aspire to have the confidence of people like Phil and are gullible enough to think that a quick course will achieve that.

So I'm going to cynically speculate that this is a course designed to separate gullible people with low self esteem from their money. I'd further guess that the course itself is probably touchy feely "confidence building" with some common sense advice on career progression that's lifted straight from a textbook.

I'm seeing adverts for more Islamic ladies!

I remember an old cartoon called "Stressed Eric" who can never please the boss, but there's Eric's work colleague who is good looking, always hitting the targets, getting bonuses and pay rises, and has plenty of sex and gives the ladies plenty of orgasms.

00d464b8b7b102b86ae94a4acfc2ce85.jpg

..................^Stressed Eric......................................^Top worker....................^The Boss...........

Eric would just get stressed over work in each episode, and his vein on his forehead would explode.

I remember that; hated it. Pathetically unfunny compared to the Simpsons, or king of the hill. Definitely designed to appeal to the #beatphil demographic.

BBC wasn't it?

Or maybe I just don't get slave humour.

The most depressing thing about the stupid and venal #beatphil campaign is that it will succeed, inevitably, as the concept will have been pre-focus-grouped.

I would not try to #beatphil. I'd just rub my bellend on the rim of his coffee mug.....

....I'm not sure how that would work as an ad campaign though?

#knobrimthebossesmug?

So I'm going to cynically speculate that this is a course designed to separate gullible people with low self esteem from their money. I'd further guess that the course itself is probably touchy feely "confidence building" with some common sense advice on career progression that's lifted straight from a textbook.

Spot on.

This advertising is so moronic; that the content and value of the course will be less than nothing.

I'm not sure if this is for people with low self esteem, or for those with self esteem that is too high; who think they should earn more than they do without actually having the intelligence to see that they don't have the skills to back it up.

I would not try to #beatphil. I'd just rub my bellend on the rim of his coffee mug.....

....I'm not sure how that would work as an ad campaign though?

#knobrimthebossesmug?

:D:D:D