House Price Crash Forum
MattW

Generation Rent: Who's Listening?

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/may/10/generation-rent-whos-listening-private-rental-market-ed-miliband

As time went on, they started to experience problems with some of the windows, which let in condensation. Eventually, things became "much more severe. If one window was opened, it was in danger of not shutting again. And there were terrible winds, so it was flapping in the wind. And this was in my daughter's bedroom." She says her landlord had promised things would be fixed, but when she insisted that he did so, her family was presented with a grim choice. At first, he said it was time for them to move out; then, he said he would do the repairs, on the condition that the rent went up. Both sparked no end of worry – and at that point, she says: "I thought, the most important lesson I can give my children is that when people start doing things like that, you should do something different, and move away from it."

There was a bit of back and forth on another thread about the political potency of the cohort of renters that are also swing voters and I came away from that with the sense that although their impact is not completely trivial, it's not going to swing many seats.

However, this article is interesting to me because it highlights that as the opportunity to become an owner-occupier is increasingly withheld from households you are going to find more and more households, stuck in poor quality rented housing with no real security of tenure, where they are not indigent delinquents but actually they are hard-working, highly qualified professionals who are well capable of seeking to represent their own interests.

I recall picking up the idea from Bowling Alone that social change produces new methods of social organisation. Here we have one forum (hpc) discussing an article in a national newspaper that cites a blogger and the posting of that blog on another forum (mumsnet). Now that is clearly not a revolution, but it is a strong counter-narrative to the long running mainstream narrative that there is nothing in particular very wrong with UK housing. It suggests to me that in the market place for ideas there are buyers for the idea that UK housing provision is a bloody disaster and that something needs to be done.

If you hate pretentious crap, stop reading here.

<pseudish>Forums are manufacturing, between real world strangers, and a novel, evanescent and ethereal form of social capital</pseudish>

Edited by ex nihilo de novo

What have been experiencing over the last 35-40 years is the masive and structural fall of the 'middle working class' twas once a postman, railway worker, nurse, teacher or bus driver...pick your favourite 'hard working person' could have access to a small abode of their own with repayments that sat well and comfortable....now an highly indebted university triple star graduate has to make do with borrowing the floor of a landlord short-term because they have no access and very often unlikely to in the future have capital to purchase on their own at a price they can afford to buy.

Capital is in the hands of the wealthier in our society, this is growing just by sitting there being given a few tweeks from time to time.....it only takes a few to not buy into it or pay for it, for it all to collapase in on itself. ;)

Forums are manufacturing, between real world strangers, and a novel, evanescent and ethereal form of social capital

Hence 'Net Neutrality' is becoming an issue- he who controls the pipes calls the tune. The lessons of the 'Arab spring' have not been lost on our leaders- nor has the organic fluidity of the London riots passed unnoticed. The ability of the great unwashed to aggregate in this peculiar hybrid of the non corporeal web and the flash mob is a novel threat mainly due to the speed with which it can manifest- so the temptation to create a stratified internet where divide and rule once again can become a viable tactic must be deeply appealing to some- but how to tame the beast without throttling it's profitability, there's the challenge.

I don't think this question has yet been resolved.

What have been experiencing over the last 35-40 years is the masive and structural fall of the 'middle working class' twas once a postman, railway worker, nurse, teacher or bus driver...pick your favourite 'hard working person' could have access to a small abode of their own with repayments that sat well and comfortable....now an highly indebted university triple star graduate has to make do with borrowing the floor of a landlord short-term because they have no access and very often unlikely to in the future have capital to purchase on their own at a price they can afford to buy.

Capital is in the hands of the wealthier in our society, this is growing just by sitting there being given a few tweeks from time to time.....it only takes a few to not buy into it or pay for it, for it all to collapase in on itself. ;)

There used to be a time when any club in the football league could win the top division but that can no longer happen. With unregulated laissez faire capitalism wealth always becomes concentrated into the hands of an increasingly small number of very wealthy at the expense of everyone else.

[Original quoted excerpt] Sounds like normal for a generation ago. Indeed, not unlike the house my family moved to in the 1970s after we upgraded from the real crumbling Victorian pile that lost chunks of the roof every time it got windy, and where one day the ceiling fell in on me.

Sounds like rising expectations, that the norm of a generation ago should now be considered scandalous!

Quite surprised London's not had another riot as yet.....

The forecast is for an incendiary summer this year... and next... and next.

Hence 'Net Neutrality' is becoming an issue- he who controls the pipes calls the tune. The lessons of the 'Arab spring' have not been lost on our leaders- nor has the organic fluidity of the London riots passed unnoticed. The ability of the great unwashed to aggregate in this peculiar hybrid of the non corporeal web and the flash mob is a novel threat mainly due to the speed with which it can manifest- so the temptation to create a stratified internet where divide and rule once again can become a viable tactic must be deeply appealing to some- but how to tame the beast without throttling it's profitability, there's the challenge.

I don't think this question has yet been resolved.

they thought they had it in the bag....they were wrong!

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DZGMDBppWBOo&sa=U&ei=dZFvU4ONEMvtO-PngbAB&ved=0CC8QtwIwAQ&usg=AFQjCNGOxoIt4fEJ0pWCIvi8VOvoOyJGAw

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DcNfTnCN9d00&sa=U&ei=mZFvU-SLOsfnOrjdgYAN&ved=0CCwQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNHlWc6YUjJ5h0RjBvqDIdr5RP5xWA

Question: who's listening?

Answer: no-one with any kind of power to help fix the situation.

Why: because a large proportion of the people in power - in all political parties - have a strong vested interest in high property prices.