House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

The World Cup 2014 Thread

Whilst I hope the tournament doesn't end up degenerating into mass violence or stadium collapses it does appear very close to becoming a complete nightmare. However the football could clearly become a distraction from other events.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-27335933

A worker has been killed after being electrocuted at a World Cup stadium in Brazil, officials say.

The 32-year-old man died in an accident at the new Arena Pantanal in the western city of Cuiaba where he was installing communications equipment.

It is the first fatality at the Cuiaba stadium, but eight workers have now died in accidents during the building of Brazil's 12 World Cup arenas.

Brazil's preparations have been marred by accidents and missed deadlines.

The Arena Pantanal is one of several stadiums still to be finished with just weeks to go before the World Cup begins, reports the BBC's Wyre Davies in Rio de Janeiro.

Thousands of seats are still to be installed and other vital work has to be completed, our correspondent says.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-27320274

Federal police in Brazil have gone on strike over pay, and threatened to continue their protest during the football World Cup next month.

A spokesman for the striking officers, Renato Deslandes, told the BBC that "at least 40%" of the force took part.

He said their protest would continue if the government did not increase pay in line with inflation.

The 24-hour walkout took place across Brazil, including some of the cities that will host the football tournament.

So before the football even starts is Brazil 2014 are the worries "scares" just like before the South African tournament or will Brazil politically too hot for the football to take centre stage?

There's a big scare about trouble / facilities not being ready before just about every big sporting event these days:

Olympics - London, Peking

Commonwealth somewhere in India

Euro - Poland / Ukraine - Sol Campbell telling people they will be killed

World Cup - South Africa and now this one

One time they will be right and all the papers will say "I told you so", rather than their usual method of quietly forgetting that they got it wrong and moving on to the next scare story.

Rumour doping the rounds on facebook yesterday suggested the London authorities (is there one since it was disbanded) has been secretly asked if they could take on the 2016 Olympics as the IOC thinks Brazil won't be ready.

Proof will be how they get on with this tournament I suppose.

For those getting all excited and looking forward to the tournament get your interactive Excel score sheet from the link below.

http://www.excely.com/football/2014-fifa-world-cup-schedule.shtml

There's a big scare about trouble / facilities not being ready before just about every big sporting event these days:

Olympics - London, Peking

Commonwealth somewhere in India

Euro - Poland / Ukraine - Sol Campbell telling people they will be killed

World Cup - South Africa and now this one

One time they will be right and all the papers will say "I told you so", rather than their usual method of quietly forgetting that they got it wrong and moving on to the next scare story.

Not London... The media were incredibly dissapointed that everything was in order months in advance. We should be proud I suppose of how 2012 went. Let's be honest, most people expected it to be a total cluster****** as we don't seem to be able to do anything properly in the UK anymore.

My friend went to Sochi for corporate reasons, and he met a few journos whose sole purpose was to dig up dirt. They said as much anyway. They were disappointed as they couldn't find anything to really write about.

The whole journalism and media industry has gotten very unwholesome. I remember thinking in the 80s that journalists were really respected members of society. (I asked a friend if his dad would be a reference on my cv, or something). Now they just seem like the exact opposite.

The whole journalism and media industry has gotten very unwholesome. I remember thinking in the 80s that journalists were really respected members of society. (I asked a friend if his dad would be a reference on my cv, or something). Now they just seem like the exact opposite.

No, no, no. Journalists were held in low esteem back in the 80's.

Hence, for example, the ruthless corrupt journalist character Reg Kettle in the 80's comedy series Hot metal.

They cater for their readers who want dirt and scandal and horror stories.

I would regard a Telegraph journalist (for example) as a respected member of society.

Err is this not a football thread then?!

The title should be changed to reflect the content

Back on topic:

England 0-1 Italy

England 2-0 Costa Rica

England 1-2 Uruguay

Argentina to win, leading to the entire Brazil team having to leave the country under cover of darkness never to return.

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/the-world-cup-is-days-away-but-is-brazil-ready-LGwbFFagTEKZM7LWOSuSbg.html

June 9 (Bloomberg) –- Brazil has had seven years and spent over $12 billion to plan for the biggest sporting event in the world, but with the opening kickoff to the World Cup just days away, the country still isn't ready. The question on everyone's mind: why? Bloomberg's Erik Schatzker traveled down to Brazil to get a firsthand look at the lack of preparedness.

Bloomberg saying the country isn't ready.

Thinking of putting some cash on Holland. They are in a tough group - often don't perform as expected - and if they come second in their group - will probably play Brazil in next round.

However - they are always quality - got to the last final - have also been in a sa final before - and have won the Euros.

Based on all that - I think ranking them beside Colombia and equador - and behind England, France, Chile and Belgium - is very harsh.

33-1 seems to much IMO.

Thinking of putting some cash on Holland. They are in a tough group - often don't perform as expected - and if they come second in their group - will probably play Brazil in next round.

However - they are always quality - got to the last final - have also been in a sa final before - and have won the Euros.

Based on all that - I think ranking them beside Colombia and equador - and behind England, France, Chile and Belgium - is very harsh.

33-1 seems to much IMO.

Is that what they are - always a fan of the dutch style tbh, if they got to the semis I would guess you would easily be able to lay them off for a profit.

How does that laying work again please ? I dont bet much !!

Coin-flip for England to get out of the group. I hope they do but it's too easy for them to slip up against Italy and Uruguay as has already been stated.

Unless Sturridge comes alive and starts delivering goals i.e. concede loads but score sh*t-loads.

How does that laying work again please ? I dont bet much !!

pretty much what ham said.

say you stick a 5er on holland at 33-1 that would be a £165 return.

in the semi's a game is likely to be around 4/5 for a team to progress (by any means). You could stick say 55 on the opposition, meaning your 165 return is now 110 should holland still progress. Do the same in the final and you'd be guaranteed around £45 profit.

Of course if the original 5er is £500 then the sums are bigger!

I'm very interested in the wall-to-wall advertising around cashing in bets early...which I assume is a form of 'laying off'. i.e. your bet one way is closed down when odds shorten...even if the entire process of opening another bet the other way isn't completely apparent. 'Do you, don't you?'

Why? Because from my trading experience that is exactly what you should not do....the golden rule being 'let your winners run and close your losers early'. Does the fear of losng your meagre gains trick you into ending profitable bets when you shouldn't?

I would guess the clever bods at the betting companies have done extensive research into this.

Yes, I think (know) that 'new' member offers from bookies now don't 'giveaway' as much as they used to giveaway in terms of 'free' bets. There was quite a glut of literally guaranteed profits from small but meaningful odds variations of the same matches that could be got by opening up literally dozens of accounts. Obviously the profits were never gigantic due to the restriction of the offer but there's nothing to stop someone using thier own funds to take advantage of odds variations. It's all called betting arbitrage though if a bookie gets wise to constant 1437.52 types of bets then you'll get banned. I would also guess that due to the internet they might be working in a more supermarket cartel type of fashion now.

As you've said there is also more than likely masses of info analysts and accountants now that will be doing the sums on the cash-out probabilities and they've perhaps found more profit for the bookie if the bet is closed earlier for a reduced payout.

It is however why I also mentioned the original stake in the last post which all depends on personal circumstances. If the original stake is £5 many might fly with that too the end as if it loses then it's just a fiver, though that could be very different if the initial bet is 100 fold!