House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

London On Standby For 2016 Olympics - Another Boost For House Prices?

v2-Olympic_Stadium_London.jpg

Revelation comes as International Olympic Committee vice president brands Brazil’s planning 'the worst I have experienced'
I wonder if the IOC is getting cold feet over what may happen to the world cup this year, which may degenerate into political violence and maybe stadium collapses?
Would the IOC really pull the games from Brazil? There's certainly an argument that the money being spent on it should be spent on infrastructure for Brazil instead of a 4 week corporate spunk fest.

In the UK we are pretty hopeless too, in my experience big events rarely go smoothly or deadlines met. However, we always seems to muddle by somehow and produce something that is passable.

We might be bad, but the rest of the World are f**king clueless.

It's not about how good we are, it's the fact the rest of the World is even worse. Look at the pound, it's a choice between a pig and the foreign runts.

It's not about how good we are, it's the fact the rest of the World is even worse.

My experience as well. Everybody in the world is mad except for me.

My experience as well. Everybody in the world is mad except for me.

Well I was including myself in the general incompetence of UK plc with the collective ''we''.

Meanwhile, West Ham hold your horses re. demolishing Upton Park.

Edited by crashmonitor

In the UK we are pretty hopeless too, in my experience big events rarely go smoothly or deadlines met. However, we always seems to muddle by somehow and produce something that is passable.

It's not about how good we are, it's the fact the rest of the World is even worse. Look at the pound, it's a choice between a pig and the foreign runts.

Our Olympics were IMO pretty damn good - and I was one of the biggest and most cynical sceptics before. I went to several events with mr B - would never have bothered on my own, but was very glad I did. Everything was orderly, very well organised plus a great atmosphere, and we were very impressed with the Olympic Park. And the huge swathes of wild flowers all along the canal side walk were a stroke of beautiful genius.

Our Olympics were IMO pretty damn good - and I was one of the biggest and most cynical sceptics before. I went to several events with mr B - would never have bothered on my own, but was very glad I did. Everything was orderly, very well organised plus a great atmosphere, and we were very impressed with the Olympic Park. And the huge swathes of wild flowers all along the canal side walk were a stroke of beautiful genius.

Indeed it surprised me, it came a bit unstuck with the closing ceremony but overall we got through it with credit.

It will happen in Brazil or not at all. The UK can't afford to host it again. Ever.

If it meant building all the stadiums etc... I'd agree. However everything is in place so the costs would be a lot cheaper than the previous corporate spunk fest which was held.

However if they are going to pull it from Brazil they need to make that decision probably the end of the year so that preparations in the alternative venues can be made.

This rumour does the rounds in the tabloids ever couple of years (world cup and olympics). Even if a fallback plan was necessary, I don't think london necessarily stands a better chance than the dozens of other cities that have adequate existing facilities.

Edited by BigPig

If it meant building all the stadiums etc... I'd agree. However everything is in place so the costs would be a lot cheaper than the previous corporate spunk fest which was held.

However if they are going to pull it from Brazil they need to make that decision probably the end of the year so that preparations in the alternative venues can be made.

Except the stadia have been/are being reduced in size and capacity, or have been removed all together, and the athlete's accommodation is being sold off as housing.

Except the stadia have been/are being reduced in size and capacity, or have been removed all together, and the athlete's accommodation is being sold off as housing.

So there'd be some cost to reinstate everything, plus we'd have to build a new Olympic village?

If they are going to pull it they need to do it soon. Although I'll guess they are waiting to see what happens in the world cup first and see if that turns out OK.

I believe this is standard practice. An Aussie government contact I used to work with told me that Australia had been asked to standby to host again if Greece went t*ts up.

I believe this is standard practice. An Aussie government contact I used to work with told me that Australia had been asked to standby to host again if Greece went t*ts up.

It would probably also make sense to have different countries on standby for different sports. Moving an entire event would be extreme, but if certain elements for a particular sport weren't going to be ready then it could go to the alternative host. It's not without precedent- the 1956 games because of Australia's quaranteen rules, the equestrian events were held in Sweden, they were also held in June with the main Olympics in November (summer in the Southern hemisphere).