House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BudoBear

It’S Official: The Great Recession Has Ended

It's okay everyone, it was all just a bad patch for 6 years, but now it's all back to normal and everyone can relax again. Some clever sausage reckons it's all back to normal now! Check the Times' article below for more detail.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/economics/article4084948.ece

I call the top! (unless they go for another bout of printy printy)

Bb

Edited by BudoBear

On the same firewalled page another article suggests Help to Buy will have to become permanent if interest rates rise...

I heard this on the radio this morning as I drove to work ( where they have just laid off 3 or 4 people and cut my hours ).

I think they might be wrong.

Yeah, it's great that we can now all get back on with our lives. I imagine it'll be a few weeks before they work out the finer details, such as raising everyones income, putting a stop to foodbanks, halting inflation and working out how politicians are going to stop lying. But, by summer everyone will be able to enjoy their own home, a secure job and a nice big holiday abroad.

I might even pop out and get me a new Range Rover this afternoon.

Bb

History suggests we won't get a bust some time soon. Maximum velocity has always been achieved when escaping a trough in every recession since the war and it has always run several years.

If Jim has achieved warp speed escape velocity then we must await the wreckage in a few years time.

Edited by crashmonitor

History suggests we won't get a bust some time soon. Maximum velocity has always been achieved when escaping a trough in every recession since the war and it has always run several years.

If Jim has achieved warp speed escape velocity then we must await the wreckage in a few years time.

We're in a depression not a recession.

On the same firewalled page another article suggests Help to Buy will have to become permanent if interest rates rise...

If prices keep increasing HTB will become permanant and the % you get will become smaller and smaller.

I think of 2008 as a foreshock to the big one. Nothing in the last few years has altered that impression.

As they said in 1928, "Let the Good Times Roll!!"

For no particular reason except the title ... or maybe this - "If the illusion is real let them give you a ride":

I think that's got Queen as an influence, and influenced Inxs and Gary Numan.

I think of 2008 as a foreshock to the big one. Nothing in the last few years has altered that impression.

You only have to look at that chart on the front page- central bank assets vs bank rates. Truly FUBAR.

The Great Recession Has Ended........not good if the price of everything starts moving upwards,higher and further than before.......make a quick exit, if they think it is in your pocket they have ways of extracting from you.

Edited by winkie

Yep we haven't really had anything on this scale before, so maybe it is going to be different this time....a 7% GDP fall and a six year trough. The closest comparison is the 6% fall in the 1930s. Once escape velocity had been reached the economy went into overdrive at +6% in 1934. The same thing happened in the late seventies, the early eighties and mid-nineties...warp speed on re-entry from the trough.

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/7483/economics/the-uk-economy-in-the-1930s/

Edited by crashmonitor

Yep we haven't really had anything on this scale before, so maybe it is going to be different this time....a 7% GDP fall and a six year trough. The closest comparison is the 6% fall in the 1930s. Once escape velocity had been reached the economy went into overdrive at +6% in 1934. The same thing happened in the late seventies, the early eighties and mid-nineties...warp speed on re-entry from the trough.

It's already different this time. We've had negative real interest rates for longer than was the case in the 1930s.

And then there's this:

chart.png

It's already different this time. We've had negative real interest rates for longer than was the case in the 1930s.

And then there's this:

chart.png

The debt overhang may make it different this time. I assume once peak GDP is revisited it generally frees the zombie debtor and the Banks of their bad debts and you get a GDP surge. Obviously there are still plenty of casualties not free of the shackles of debt.

All we need is a good result for the UK's Molly in the Eurovision and it's gravy all the way!!

Just had a listen to it on youtube for the first time.....I wouldn't like to bet the house on it. It's structured like some mega anthem with pretentions to greatness, only trouble is there isn't actually a melody there.

The banks haven't even started to open the spigots again yet, though they appear to be gearing up for it.

Carney will be so far behind the curve he won't even see it coming (then he'll be off to the other continent)