House Price Crash Forum
@contradevian

Chinese Plan To Connect World By Rail

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/beijing-to-the-us-by-train-china-outlines-plans-to-connect-world-by-high-speed-rail-network-9342749.html

As long as it doesn't come near us, as we have sacred boomer countryside to protect. Though the Chinese do have another plan to link London, via Paris and Moscow.

All looks very 'Gerry Anderson' and who would have thunk that a Communist State would end up planning these grand schemes. Oh yeh we got lost somewhere worrying about house prices.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/beijing-to-the-us-by-train-china-outlines-plans-to-connect-world-by-high-speed-rail-network-9342749.html

As long as it doesn't come near us, as we have sacred boomer countryside to protect. Though the Chinese do have another plan to link London, via Paris and Moscow.

All looks very 'Gerry Anderson' and who would have thunk that a Communist State would end up planning these grand schemes. Oh yeh we got lost somewhere worrying about house prices.

Reminds me of this project

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_Railway

The problem for China like the Kaisars Germany is that it is never going to rule the seas so it needs something else to embed its trading dominance

I certainly would not relish travelling in a 200 mile long tunnel through one of the worlds most unstable geologically active regions

Edited by stormymonday_2011

I have a great idea...how about virtual rails in the sky where train like devices hurtle along these virtual tracks between the cities....we could call them...Areo-trains, or something like that.

I have a great idea...how about virtual rails in the sky where train like devices hurtle along these virtual tracks between the cities....we could call them...Areo-trains, or something like that.

Given that it's going to cost c £50bn and take 20 years to lay a couple of tracks from London to Manc you'll have to forgive my scepticism.

Sounds like "The Venus Project" - they have a similar fantasy about spanning the globe with high speed tube-trains, driven by a vacuum. Aren't they building something like this in California?

Depends if it's this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2622516/Forget-high-speed-rail-future-train-travel-SUPER-MAGLEV-says-China-one-day-1-800MPH.html

It may look like a toy track but this is the future of train travel, says China. SUPER-MAGLEV could one day go up to 1,800MPH
  • A researcher in China has unveiled his super-maglev loop line
  • Dr Zigang says the project is the next phase in developing faster trains
  • Using a vacuum tube design he says it could one day reach 1,800 mph
  • This could be used for military purposes or space launch systems
  • Magnetic levitation (maglev) trains are lifted by magnets above the track
  • This allows them to reach much higher speeds than conventional trains

However if this happens:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2622378/After-Virgin-Galactic-Sir-Richard-Branson-wants-develop-supersonic-planes.html

Sir Richard Branson to develop hypersonic commercial planes that could travel up to 19,000mph, flying from New York to Tokyo in ONE HOUR
It all depends if you fancy a slow 1800mph train ride or if you need to be instantly there to fly at 19,000mph.

Given that it's going to cost c £50bn and take 20 years to lay a couple of tracks from London to Manc you'll have to forgive my scepticism.

I doubt the Chinese are planning to subcontract the project to British civil servants.

I doubt the Chinese are planning to subcontract the project to British civil servants.

Weren't we knid enough to invent MAGLEV for them in the first place.

britain seems incredibly good at this sort of thing...inventing stuff, then shelving the plans to produce domestically, selling off the IP, and then having someone else sell it back to us.

think virgin trains pendolino( re-hash of the british rail APT project back in the late 70's/early 80's)

Post the Wenzhou collision. I think the authorities ended up concluding rescue by buring some carriages. (Wikipedia)

Edited by Ash4781

The problem for China like the Kaisars Germany is that it is never going to rule the seas so it needs something else to embed its trading dominance

I certainly would not relish travelling in a 200 mile long tunnel through one of the worlds most unstable geologically active regions

It's not anything to do with houseprices/debt... but **"The Trouble With Bubbles" is a 1953 science fiction short story by Philip K. Dick. ...At the end of the story, Hull is traveling through an underground tunnel recently connected to Asia when an unexpected earthquake kills scores of people.**

But the idea of a fixed connection had been around since Napoleon, the first leader to support the building of a tunnel.
It sparked fears of invasion in Britain that continued to hold back popular and political support for a link until after World War II.
1_napolean_416.jpg