House Price Crash Forum

I Want To Set Up A Car Breaking Business...

Rave

HOLA441

Motorcycle breaking could be the answer. Less space needed. Concentrate on high end and dispatch rider models. I worked in a breakers for three years. Another thing would be to buy running classics that people would find it a sacrilige to break like old rudges or Vincents and sell the parts. I'm convinced some of these old machines are worth more in parts as they are so hard to find.

As an ex-philosopher, I find that a rather a "circular" argument! :blink:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

As an ex-philosopher, I find that a rather a "circular" argument! :blink:

Seriously. I had a Norton Commando i was doing up to sell and halfway through I realised that it was worth more as a basket case than the final value 'done up' with the expense of the 'do up' added. If you go to autojumbles now its hard to find anything British. Looking at makes that are older like Rudge or Vincent where new old stock isnt readily available I could easily see there being a profit in breaking.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Seriously. I had a Norton Commando i was doing up to sell and halfway through I realised that it was worth more as a basket case than the final value 'done up' with the expense of the 'do up' added. If you go to autojumbles now its hard to find anything British. Looking at makes that are older like Rudge or Vincent where new old stock isnt readily available I could easily see there being a profit in breaking.

Sadly, that seems to be the case!

HOLA445
HOLA446

Motorcycle breaking could be the answer. Less space needed. Concentrate on high end and dispatch rider models. I worked in a breakers for three years. Another thing would be to buy running classics that people would find it a sacrilige to break like old rudges or Vincents and sell the parts. I'm convinced some of these old machines are worth more in parts as they are so hard to find.

Not a bad idea, could be managed part time during startup. Plastics are particularly expensive, £477.08 + VAT for a seat cowl for instance!

Not sure if the link will work.....

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=13MATV41&block_02=F__1900&block_03=623

HOLA447

Not a bad idea, could be managed part time during startup. Plastics are particularly expensive, £477.08 + VAT for a seat cowl for instance!

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=13MATV41&block_02=F__1900&block_03=623

Are you sure you only have a Honda, and not a 1934 Knobworth-Whitley flying gannet? :blink:

Somebody's imaginary uncle raced one at Le Mans!

HOLA448

Are you sure you only have a Honda, and not a 1934 Knobworth-Whitley flying gannet? :blink:

Actually, it was my Aunt. My Uncle was too drunk to race. My Aunt was too drunk not to race.

The Knobworth-Whitley Flying Gannet won, My Aunt came a respectable second, though her chances would have been better if she had taken her high heels off.

HOLA449

Actually, it was my Aunt. My Uncle was too drunk to race. My Aunt was too drunk not to race.

The Knobworth-Whitley Flying Gannet won, My Aunt came a respectable second, though her chances would have been better if she had taken her high heels off.

I always admire admire a woman with "balls", and I bet you do too! :o

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The only thiong that stops me is space and land which seems to stop a lot of my ideas!

That's exactly why the ruling class has restricted land ownership and use so much in this country, they don't want too much competition...

HOLA4412
Guest eight

When I saw light clusters going for four figures, I figured it might be worthwhile breaking new cars....

HOLA4413
Guest eight

That's exactly why the ruling class has restricted land ownership and use so much in this country, they don't want too much competition...

Great film.

HOLA4414

I'm sure I've been described as a Knobworth, but never ridden one...... honest!

SNACR may have a point regarding 3D printing, but from what I've seen of it, we've a long way to go before it will give good enough results for cosmetic parts. This technology was in it's infancy when I was designing oil valves, and that was more then 10 years ago. Does Moore's law apply?

HOLA4415

A mate of mine has a very nice sideline ripping the innards out of time expired caravans and transplanting them into vans for conversion. He reupholsters the furniture himself and the attention to detail on lining is second to none all formed into place with a heat source and beaded - he could give aston martin a run for their money. I'm figuring (as it's rude to ask) he spends a couple of grand on the van, a few hundred on the old caravan plus the same for materials and sell from £4k upwards. He has a lot of downtime surfing and paragliding so it suits him.

HOLA4416

A mate of mine has a very nice sideline ripping the innards out of time expired caravans and transplanting them into vans for conversion. He reupholsters the furniture himself and the attention to detail on lining is second to none all formed into place with a heat source and beaded - he could give aston martin a run for their money. I'm figuring (as it's rude to ask) he spends a couple of grand on the van, a few hundred on the old caravan plus the same for materials and sell from £4k upwards. He has a lot of downtime surfing and paragliding so it suits him.

Sounds like a good hobby, but I doubt if he will become rich on it!

HOLA4417

Sounds like a good hobby, but I doubt if he will become rich on it!

Ambition bites the nails of success as Bono once said. I don't believe he's aiming for untold riches and the hobby pays for his other hobbies which happen to fall where most people work the treadmill. If 50% of people chase the upper 10th percentile for wealth then logic tells us 80% of this group are going to be quite disappointed. Get rich or die trying no thanks.

HOLA4418

Have only skim-read the topic, but I'm wondering what the unique selling point is.

There doesn't have to be one, but it might help.

I'm thinking of poorer countries where people keep old cars going for a lot longer than we do at the moment. If this country goes that way, then since a car is an essential to most, this would seem a decent business idea if it could be done well. As in efficiently. New water pump from Ford for £150 or recon one from your place for £50. If it comes with a warranty then it sounds like a no-brainer.

But I am assuming that the likes of Kwik Fit tend to buy from the manufacturer/supplier so they have a warranty to fall back on as opposed to fitting reconditioned parts, so the market is mostly "personal" and small sales of bits of things as opposed to mass volume.

If it were niche, it might still work as a business - for instance one of my customers sells a lot of car parts overseas (Europe and beyond) for little French hot hatches which remain popular enough to support and these can be parts which are harder to obtain in those countries. a 5 GT Turbo Turbocharger to Dubai, for example.

But then there's a difference between having contacts and suppliers and a decent deal with carriers being able to run the whole thing in a reasonably lightweight fashion without major overheads, and investing in plant and machinery.

It seems like something you've really thought about and are interested in and so I'm not as dismissive as some have been, but for me, there's that "USP" to be found, and a means of "scaling" the operation (so it does not simply become a "job" or "lifestyle business") before investing serious cash.

HOLA4419

Archived