House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

council dweller

Fasting........is There Anyone Out There Who`s Still At It?

Well, I took up fasting around 2 years ago (before that doctor on the telly!), did around 28 weeks but gave it up due to pressure of work. I felt better and stronger and lost weight though weight loss was just a side issue.

I regret giving up fasting in view of what happened 6 months later (I had a stroke), not sure that this was related but you never know!

So, I`ve started to fast again, started 10 weeks ago. My aim is to continue for 3 years or possibly more.

My method is....eat the usual meal on Saturday evening and then don`t eat until Monday morning. Drink only water. The hard part is just on Sunday afternoon........depressing!

According to a Japanese doctor (Dr Koda) the faster`s weight should go down for about 8 or 9 months before rising again. At this time your body should become resistant to various cancers, Yes, pull the other one.

I`m just going out for a while. I maybe sometime......

I did it for around 2 months last year something about the psychology makes it easy to do but I don't think it's great nutrition wise unless you're very clever with your meals. I ended up having two poached eggs on fast days with a second meal of fish and loads of greens and coffee to keep me going. Would have to go to bed early to get through it. I lost the stone I wanted to.

I now go to the gym so changed regime completely and am just aiming to maintain weight but get fitter. Basically have minimum of 5 perfect nutrition days and allow myself to eat and drink whatever I want on the 2 remaining (though one is normally enough). This is sort of the reverse psychologically but much more attainable

Yes but not a formal fast. For example today my main meal was 2 PM, and hadn't eaten since 6PM yesterday.

So just a mild extention of the standard overnight fast.

Also do 'butter fasts' where all I eat is a small knob of butter, or double cream in coffee.

Yes, on and off. As it happens I'm on an extended fast, although that wasn't really the de rigueur round here. Haven't eaten since Monday night, not sure how far I will take it, possibly until Saturday night although might carry it on for a few more days.

Once that's done I will be fasting for 2 days a week.

Well, I`m no expert but I think that how long you don`t eat for is vital?

For example. Not eating for 15 hours means that the stone age men inside us will be saying....

"Okay, don`t worry, he`s missed a couple of meals but no need to panic".

25 hours and it`s more like......

"Right this is serious, any piece of junk food you can find will have to be used, we`re unlikely to survive this"

Survival. This is what people do.

I did 18 weeks (in a 20 week period) in 2012 and 12 weeks in 2013. I always started late summer after summer beer season. I was mostly fasting 4 days and then getting wasted at the weekend. Lost almost 2 stone in the first year, put almost a stone back on then lost almost 2 again in the second year.

Whacked up the exercise with it big time last year and I’ve carried that on so don’t really have to fast. If I do it again this year I expect to be completely shredded!

For example. Not eating for 15 hours means that the stone age men inside us will be saying....

"Right this is serious, any piece of junk food you can find will have to be used, we`re unlikely to survive this"

Please revisit the thread and read all the ketosis thingymabob.

thanks bendy. Do you remember the thread title?

i think it was just fasting

and then a subtitle of 'for durch'

I've been doing fast 5 for around 2 years, with a break of a few months in the middle when I had a fairly serious health condition and had to take tablets with food every four hours pretty much continuously for a couple of months.

I don't eat before 5pm on a weekday, and eat what I like on the weekends. I started an exercise program at the same time (which was also interrupted for a couple of months, because I couldn't move!). I was 14 stone when I started, and am still 14 stone, but everybody thinks I've lost weight, because I've lost fat and built muscle.

The body can cope with much longer periods without food than most people think.

People talk about starvation mode but there is no such thing, at least not until you have gone weeks on end and even then the metabolic changes are minor, around 5% reduction in metabolism from the start point.

That's not to say that long term starvation is a good thing, but it very much depends on your start point, if you have a ton of body fat you can go at seriously low calorie levels for months on end with no problems.

The body is well adapted to using fat stores (that's exactly what they are there for), there is a limit of course. Once the fat has gone it's on to the muscle and then eventually the organs but that is a long long way down the line. As bendy says it's all about getting your body keto adapted, this is a decent summary.

http://www.ketotic.org/2012/05/keto-adaptation-what-it-is-and-how-to.html

Might all be claptrap but personally I have found that doing what works for you is what counts. I have been doing this on and off for 3 years and had no problems.

For the past year, apart from the odd day when I've had lunch plans, I've been fasting for 21 hours every day and then eating within a three hour window but with no calorie restrictions. I'm more interested in the health benefits than weight loss so it's hard to say whether it's had the desired effect but it certainly doesn't appear to have done me any harm! There's a good blog that goes into the current research on this and other dietary/exercise issues here: http://suppversity.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/intermittent%20fasting