House Price Crash Forum

Police To Wear Video Cameras

dinker

HOLA441

The London Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) is set to launch a one-year pilot project that equips cops with body-worn video cameras to be used during their interactions with the public. The pilot will include a total of 500 cameras distributed across ten city boroughs.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/london-police-to-use-wearable-video-cameras-in-public-interactions/

I`ve noticed a few drones flying over my area (West London) at night - they look like quadrocopters and sound like a two-stroke motorcycle. It seems that 1984 has arrived.

HOLA442

The London Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) is set to launch a one-year pilot project that equips cops with body-worn video cameras to be used during their interactions with the public. The pilot will include a total of 500 cameras distributed across ten city boroughs.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/london-police-to-use-wearable-video-cameras-in-public-interactions/

I`ve noticed a few drones flying over my area (West London) at night - they look like quadrocopters and sound like a two-stroke motorcycle. It seems that 1984 has arrived.

That'll show the average bobby up for what they really are...

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Yep, and for this reason it's a positive step.

It's quite telling that the perceived reason for implementing these is to keep an eye on the cops, not the people.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

They only will if (a) they are recording during an entire shift, as noted above, and (B) the footage is transmitted in real time (e.g. over 4G) to a central server over which the police have no control, and to which prosecution and defence lawyers have equal access. If the police forces are to preserve their own footage, expect to see many cases in which files mysteriously disappear or SD cards are found to be bad when allegations of police misconduct are made, but crystal clear HD images are available without fail when needed for evidence of attacks on the police.

HOLA4416

They only will if (a) they are recording during an entire shift, as noted above, and ( B) the footage is transmitted in real time (e.g. over 4G) to a central server over which the police have no control, and to which prosecution and defence lawyers have equal access. If the police forces are to preserve their own footage, expect to see many cases in which files mysteriously disappear or SD cards are found to be bad when allegations of police misconduct are made, but crystal clear HD images are available without fail when needed for evidence of attacks on the police.

Either that, or make it an automatic offence, like failing to provide a breath or blood sample when suspected of drinking and driving. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

HOLA4417

They should also incorporate time, date and GPS location. As they won't be on all the time I do think it will be misused.

However, if they were on all the time - what happens when the bobby needs a wee?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Archived