House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dinker

Police To Wear Video Cameras

The London Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) is set to launch a one-year pilot project that equips cops with body-worn video cameras to be used during their interactions with the public. The pilot will include a total of 500 cameras distributed across ten city boroughs.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/london-police-to-use-wearable-video-cameras-in-public-interactions/

I`ve noticed a few drones flying over my area (West London) at night - they look like quadrocopters and sound like a two-stroke motorcycle. It seems that 1984 has arrived.

The London Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) is set to launch a one-year pilot project that equips cops with body-worn video cameras to be used during their interactions with the public. The pilot will include a total of 500 cameras distributed across ten city boroughs.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/london-police-to-use-wearable-video-cameras-in-public-interactions/

I`ve noticed a few drones flying over my area (West London) at night - they look like quadrocopters and sound like a two-stroke motorcycle. It seems that 1984 has arrived.

That'll show the average bobby up for what they really are...

I look forward to this being at football grounds across the country, best dig my pink shirt out!

Will they be turned on for the entire shift or will they just be turned on by the boby when she/he wants it switched on - big difference.

How long before we have reports of "Um, the video has gone missing and we don't know why" appear.

Yep, and for this reason it's a positive step.

It's quite telling that the perceived reason for implementing these is to keep an eye on the cops, not the people.

I like the fact they need training,, what for?

This should have happened years ago

Good idea.

Now all we need are some police officers. Hardly ever see any.

They only will if (a) they are recording during an entire shift, as noted above, and (B) the footage is transmitted in real time (e.g. over 4G) to a central server over which the police have no control, and to which prosecution and defence lawyers have equal access. If the police forces are to preserve their own footage, expect to see many cases in which files mysteriously disappear or SD cards are found to be bad when allegations of police misconduct are made, but crystal clear HD images are available without fail when needed for evidence of attacks on the police.

They only will if (a) they are recording during an entire shift, as noted above, and ( B) the footage is transmitted in real time (e.g. over 4G) to a central server over which the police have no control, and to which prosecution and defence lawyers have equal access. If the police forces are to preserve their own footage, expect to see many cases in which files mysteriously disappear or SD cards are found to be bad when allegations of police misconduct are made, but crystal clear HD images are available without fail when needed for evidence of attacks on the police.

Either that, or make it an automatic offence, like failing to provide a breath or blood sample when suspected of drinking and driving. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

They should also incorporate time, date and GPS location. As they won't be on all the time I do think it will be misused.

However, if they were on all the time - what happens when the bobby needs a wee?

They should also incorporate time, date and GPS location. As they won't be on all the time I do think it will be misused.

However, if they were on all the time - what happens when the bobby needs a wee?

Police! Toiletcam! Action!

Missed opportunity. I'd be in favour of the use of cameras to protect the public from the police but it's clearly not what this is about.