House Price Crash Forum

Weeds In The Garden

MrPin

HOLA441

I've grown some fantastic weeds this year! Some are prickly and some look like a sort of cabbage!

Now I don't want the weeds, but some are full of leaf miners! If I kill the weeds, can I find the little miners suitable other employment, like Thatcher didn't, in 1984? :blink:

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

weed in the garden have you?

Yoda!

I shall be "gardening" soon! I have flame proof boiler suit from work, and the fine Amazon purchase of an "industrial" flame thrower!

And I thought gardening was dull! :blink:

HOLA445

Yoda!

I shall be "gardening" soon! I have flame proof boiler suit from work, and the fine Amazon purchase of an "industrial" flame thrower!

And I thought gardening was dull! :blink:

weeds you will flame, but bought decent seeds should you.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I've grown some fantastic weeds this year! Some are prickly and some look like a sort of cabbage!

Now I don't want the weeds, but some are full of leaf miners! If I kill the weeds, can I find the little miners suitable other employment, like Thatcher didn't, in 1984? :blink:

Shouldn't you be posting this in the "really interesting thread" instead? ;)

HOLA449

Well as a vegetable gardener I would love it if vegetables sprung up prolifically and thrived as weeds do! Weeds are just so easy to grow. You just look out the window and sit in the garden and day by day the weeds appear and get bigger. No effort whatsoever required.

I like some weeds. Daisies are nice and I like them in the grass. A few nettles are fine as you can put them in soup and dandelion leaves can go in salad. Perhaps we should be aiming to cultivate edible weeds? Weeds are very successful plants!

HOLA4410

From bird seed?

You might have some jimson weed :-)

Datura?

Dunno, smoke it and see hw you feel.

HOLA4411

From bird seed?

You might have some jimson weed :-)

Datura?

Dunno, smoke it and see hw you feel.

You're supposed to make tea with it, not smoke it.

But dont. Its an extreme and disturbing trip and it takes weeks to get back to normal.

Always fancied making henbane/nightshade beer though.....

HOLA4412

Well as a vegetable gardener I would love it if vegetables sprung up prolifically and thrived as weeds do! Weeds are just so easy to grow. You just look out the window and sit in the garden and day by day the weeds appear and get bigger. No effort whatsoever required.

I like some weeds. Daisies are nice and I like them in the grass. A few nettles are fine as you can put them in soup and dandelion leaves can go in salad. Perhaps we should be aiming to cultivate edible weeds? Weeds are very successful plants!

I like growing raspberries and strawberries, they grow like weeds anyway...

Peas seem OK as well. onion sets don't seem to get eaten by much. For some reason I always attempt beans of one variety or another (apart from Scarlet Emperor which as far as I can tell are inedible). Slugs and snails love me for it.

Problem I have is that both neighbors are retired and therefore have immaculate gardens. By comparison mine has a kind of 'war zone - recovering bomb crater' ambiance going on.

HOLA4413

I read recently that dandelions root is like parnsip - sweet flavour. I've some in the garden that the mower didn't get so I might check to see if this is the truth this weekend as are planning on diggina herb bed.

HOLA4414

Zero tolerance of weeds saves time in the long run...especially with invasive stuff like nettle and bramble. Most gardeners don't seem to completely bottom a garden and then are forever playing catch up with the weeds. A total extermination will result in initial effort but years of not having to do much thereafter. I have fairly broad herbaceous borders and really the weeding is an occasional dandelion, maybe a couple of minutes a week and a good tilling in the winter when the borders are clear.

In fact the areas that are supposed to be least effort imo are the most. The previous owner spent £12,500 on block paving....no amount of weeding will prevent a perennial problem. I have resorted to roundup this year.

HOLA4415

But dont. Its an extreme and disturbing trip and it takes weeks to get back to normal.

Do you ever get back to "normal" after you have been shown that the world only exists in your mind?

HOLA4416

Oh aye, I've even seen the CSI with the tea dregs.

You can smoke california poppy though.

HOLA4417

At the risk of being accused of going on a wikipedia binge...

Perhaps we should be aiming to cultivate edible weeds? Weeds are very successful plants!

The allotment site I currently have a patch at has fat hen all over the place, which a lot of allotmenteers pull up and toss. Here is a page on 'Gardeners World' slagging it off for its weediness. What the page doesn't mention is that it's deliberately cultivated in Asia (It's comparable with spinach, and a lot easier to grow).

Trippiest plant in the garden? ... morning glory?

I noticed the elderflowers were out last week. I've got a couple of demijohns with their names on. Last year's first (for me) experiments with elderflower and elderberry hooch went well, though I stuffed up by back-sweetening them a little after tasting them young and now they're a little too sweet after some ageing.

I read recently that dandelions root is like parnsip - sweet flavour.

It's also a diuretic. The French word for dandelion is pissenlit ('p1ss in bed'). No reason not to eat a few but probably best avoided before long car journeys.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Nasturtiums especially the flowers are to die for. ;)

Nasturtium seed pesto actually tastes quite nice (impo).

I've got half an allotment plot I haven't got the time to cultivate properly but I'm keeping an eye on till I or someone else can use it. I sowed a couple of rows last autumn with phacelia as a weed suppressant/ green manure and it's in flower now. The weeds are down and the bees are loving it. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to mash it all soon before it starts to self-seed and become a permanent feature.

I was so chuffed with the phacelia I've just started tinkering with clover and trefoil to under sow stuff like soft fruit and bigger veg, to act as a weed suppressant and mulch.

HOLA4421

Do you ever get back to "normal" after you have been shown that the world only exists in your mind?

First LSD trip showed me that. I had thought of it before but it was my first trip that I actually experienced it.

But trust me, datura fecks your brain for weeks. A most unpleasant thing to go through.

HOLA4422

I like growing raspberries and strawberries, they grow like weeds anyway...

Peas seem OK as well. onion sets don't seem to get eaten by much. For some reason I always attempt beans of one variety or another (apart from Scarlet Emperor which as far as I can tell are inedible). Slugs and snails love me for it.

Problem I have is that both neighbors are retired and therefore have immaculate gardens. By comparison mine has a kind of 'war zone - recovering bomb crater' ambiance going on.

My neighbour one side is retired, and as you say, immaculate garden!

HOLA4423

First LSD trip showed me that. I had thought of it before but it was my first trip that I actually experienced it.

But trust me, datura fecks your brain for weeks. A most unpleasant thing to go through.

Yes, been there.Lived on a commune in Kuranda Queensland.where there was a massive datura tree opposite the pub.Lots of people tried it but no one did it twice.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Which side of your neighbour is retired? Is it because he had a stroke?

I can always rely on you for a silly comment!

So many people are not so reliable!

Archived