House Price Crash Forum

HOLA441

It would be wrong to say its all gone to rat shit because it certainly hasn't but the horror of stagnation beckons. Conservative attempts to break the strait jacket of modern life have yielded absolutely nothing and the risk associated with 'less conservative' attempts is too great.

I've become guilty of doing something dreadful. Putting one's life on hold. I certainly didn't expect to be in the same position I find myself in when I put myself in it 3 years ago.

So now is the time to do something different. Maybe not wildly different but different enough objectives and methods to make a difference in my life. I'm not buying a house, I'm not emigrating, I'm not changing career. I'm giving up.

Who's with me?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

It would be wrong to say its all gone to rat shit because it certainly hasn't but the horror of stagnation beckons. Conservative attempts to break the strait jacket of modern life have yielded absolutely nothing and the risk associated with 'less conservative' attempts is too great.

I've become guilty of doing something dreadful. Putting one's life on hold. I certainly didn't expect to be in the same position I find myself in when I put myself in it 3 years ago.

So now is the time to do something different. Maybe not wildly different but different enough objectives and methods to make a difference in my life. I'm not buying a house, I'm not emigrating, I'm not changing career. I'm giving up.

Who's with me?

Reached that point about 2 years ago, after about 2 years. I then gave up on 'joining in'. I now only do what interests me.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Who's with me?

Pretty much with you on that. The big lie that is pushed is that maximal career effort is the best way to live. The people I know who do that have used the extra earnings to get into huge debts and have a far lower overall standard of living than we do.

Maximising standard of living is what I try and do, and that largely boils down to maximising free time within other constraints. More time = less stress.

HOLA445

Are you giving up all physical pleasure and leading an ascetic life padding the streets of Manc in a white sheet and sandals?

EDIT: Actually, drop the sandals, they're degenerate.

It's just God's way of saying you ought to tread in something!

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

There's a date marked in my diary with an X. That is the day I hand my notice in. The only reason I've not done it yet is that we're doing a mega-project and I don't want to leave my colleagues in the shit. But the x is very, very close. The only question is "will I have the balls on the day?"

Let's assume I do. Then I shall turn on, tune in and drop out. I have sufficient loot to provide me with a modest income so I shall live modestly and do whatever the ****** I like. Mrs JTB likes work so will continue to do so. Of all the reasons not to quit, one of the strongest has been my sexist instinct that it is somehow morally reprehensible to have a wife working while I sit on the beach. Yet I didn't think anything odd about me working for the last twenty years while she was the perpetual student (and housewife and mother).

Wish me luck, guys. Only a matter of weeks to go before I discover whether I am man or office shackled mouse.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

There's a date marked in my diary with an X. That is the day I hand my notice in. The only reason I've not done it yet is that we're doing a mega-project and I don't want to leave my colleagues in the shit. But the x is very, very close. The only question is "will I have the balls on the day?"

Let's assume I do. Then I shall turn on, tune in and drop out. I have sufficient loot to provide me with a modest income so I shall live modestly and do whatever the ****** I like. Mrs JTB likes work so will continue to do so. Of all the reasons not to quit, one of the strongest has been my sexist instinct that it is somehow morally reprehensible to have a wife working while I sit on the beach. Yet I didn't think anything odd about me working for the last twenty years while she was the perpetual student (and housewife and mother).

Wish me luck, guys. Only a matter of weeks to go before I discover whether I am man or office shackled mouse.

Good luck.

Here's a man in control of his destiny.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I'm giving up.

Who's with me?

Giving up will set you free, and ironically bring you all you desire.

The day I gave up, and retired from striving anymore, is the day things started to go right for me.

Good luck...... though you won't need it :)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Who's with me?

Are you planning on doing this alone?....it helps to share the changes. ;)

HOLA4420

Good luck with your decision.

I've just gone through a very similar experience and made the decision to call it a day.

I handed in my notice and from 1st August '14 will be free from the office shackles.

Mrs Bi95 made the decision earlier in the year and is currently enjoying her new found freedom.

Like you, we will live modestly and spend our time doing the things we enjoy doing rather than being tethered to employment.

It's a difficult decision but one which gives you the opportunity to be in control. :D

HOLA4421

I also took the decision to call it a day and walk away.....never once looked back, no regrets.......this wasn't done on a whim and a prayer, it was something you work towards, took time and planning........lets say giving up the job doesn't mean giving up working, it is just a different kind of work, a job where they don't own your time. ;)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Who's with me?

The Art of Letting Go?

http://zenhabits.s3.amazonaws.com/The%20One%20Skill%20-%20Leo%20Babauta.pdf

HOLA4424

I'm not sure people are.

I'm talking about not being in control of anything anymore.

You have become wise enough to know that some things are beyond your control!

I still have a motorbike (not used much), but no tattoes!

HOLA4425

So is it a change of outlook only - or will it manifest itself more tangibly? New hobby? Give up work? Take a mistress?

Anyway, I hope your post wasn't depression showing in any way. Good luck and everything.

Archived