House Price Crash Forum

HOLA441

I watched an interesting TV program last night about how shops try and sell you stuff using sneaky techniques, can't remember what it's called.

The jist of it was "clothes stores" put all their stuff that they can't sell on a rail at the door with a sign "last chance to buy" on it and idiot buyers snap it up !!!

They had a sales psychologist on explaining that is was human nature to acquire a commodity that is running low ( a survival instinct as it were ), hence why the shops used this as a way of getting people to buy stuff that no one really wanted.

I drove past a new housing estate at the weekend, on the outskirts of Towcester, being build right on the busy dual carriageway that bypasses the place.....the FOR SALE sign had been plastered with "LAST CHANCE TO BUY".

You couldn't make it up :D:D:D

Caveat emptor.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I watched an interesting TV program last night about how shops try and sell you stuff using sneaky techniques, can't remember what it's called.

Can't remember the name of the prgram, but saw a few minutes of it. In general it's just marketing. From experience it works best the lower down Maslow's hierarchy as person is. Unfortunately some people never get above the bottom couple of tiers, and this is why marketing in general works, and there is always the "greater fool".

HOLA444
HOLA445

They need to add Last Chance to Buy before prices go up!

I had that magical line spoken to me by an estate agent the other month, i always thought it was a myth that people came up with that kind of crap ... and i sold property overseas for several years!

HOLA446

I had that magical line spoken to me by an estate agent the other month, i always thought it was a myth that people came up with that kind of crap ... and i sold property overseas for several years!

It's not a line...according to this program it's a psychological gimmick well know to part idiots from their cash.

Excuse the paraphrasing :lol:

Next time one of them says it, ask them if they learnt that in estate agent school.

You miss the other side of the coin though...if they had to emply such techniques it means it's the last of their stock that they can't seem to shift !!!!

i.e. They might well be struggling to sell houses !!!

HOLA447

It's not a line...according to this program it's a psychological gimmick well know to part idiots from their cash.

Excuse the paraphrasing :lol:

Next time one of them says it, ask them if they learnt that in estate agent school.

You miss the other side of the coin though...if they had to emply such techniques it means it's the last of their stock that they can't seem to shift !!!!

i.e. They might well be struggling to sell houses !!!

I was annoyed that the little cnt thought id be so stupid to fall for such nonsense.

So i explained that people on average wages "like himself" can't afford to buy 2 bed flats in this area at present so its unlikely to go higher.

He then boasted how his pay packet was looking healthy!

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I was with a couple of old friends last weekend and their parents had genuinely advised them to take on the largest mortgage they could get. House prices only ever go up and you don't want to miss the boat. Selling their own children up the Ponzi.

Of course, when I questioned this I was given the usual stunned silent treatment.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I was with a couple of old friends last weekend and their parents had genuinely advised them to take on the largest mortgage they could get. House prices only ever go up and you don't want to miss the boat. Selling their own children up the Ponzi.

Of course, when I questioned this I was given the usual stunned silent treatment.

Been there.

HOLA4413

To be fair if you take the long term view this is correct.

However we appear to be around the peak moment unless of course the banks adopt a finance model where you own 50% of the property and then take on the other 50%. As property only ever goes up this would make sense as a business model and in no way would it make the banks too big to fail....

HOLA4414

Just ask them to have a look at what happened in Ireland

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I have to admit that I have tuned out all the past 4 to 6 weeks due to the almost daily hyping up of the housing market... but suddenly things appear to be changing and the bubble word is used regularly now.

I keep being told that the UK economy is booming but other than a massive housing bubble being created I see no sign of any other boom.

Friends just returned from a few days in Spain - told me about seeing houses for sale with signs for 500K Euros outside of them... the 500K crossed out and the sums gradually getting less and less, more crossings out, until the prices are down around 90K Euros.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I have to admit that I have tuned out all the past 4 to 6 weeks due to the almost daily hyping up of the housing market... but suddenly things appear to be changing and the bubble word is used regularly now.

I keep being told that the UK economy is booming but other than a massive housing bubble being created I see no sign of any other boom.

Friends just returned from a few days in Spain - told me about seeing houses for sale with signs for 500K Euros outside of them... the 500K crossed out and the sums gradually getting less and less, more crossings out, until the prices are down around 90K Euros.

I agree. looks like it's all coming together ( or falling apart if you are a mortgage owner ).

You must have been happy with the 4.2% monthly fall for Wales in the land reg figures ? Hardly a sign of a booming housing market.

HOLA4419

I agree. looks like it's all coming together ( or falling apart if you are a mortgage owner ).

You must have been happy with the 4.2% monthly fall for Wales in the land reg figures ? Hardly a sign of a booming housing market.

4.2% fall in Wales??? Seriously? That is how disengaged I have become.

HOLA4420

Blimey TMT, what have you been doing !!!

The 4.2% quote came from here:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=198263&hl=%2Bland+%2Bregistry#entry1102508993

And here:

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/media/all-releases/press-releases/2014/market-tren-data-march-2014

"Wales Monthly -4.2% Annual -1.6% £113,275"

Get yourself round some estate agents and tell them they are deluded ***ts after all.

HOLA4421

Well there's two friends you won't hear from again! :P

I've generally learned to keep my mouth shut when people start talking about buying houses. When they do ask me why I haven't bought anything I just tell them that I went to a broker and the misses and I don't earn enough. Then they feel sorry for me because I've missed the boat! Poor me! Ha :P

Edited by renting til I die

HOLA4422

To be fair if you take the long term view this is correct.

However we appear to be around the peak moment unless of course the banks adopt a finance model where you own 50% of the property and then take on the other 50%. As property only ever goes up this would make sense as a business model and in no way would it make the banks too big to fail....

Mainly due to inflation. Prices go up and the true inflation adjusted value has also been going up but will this continue? How out of whack can the ratio of prices to income get before something gives? Currently so many people are sold on the property 'only ever goes up' lie it will take a Japan situation, of a big fall in prices and then years and years of declining prices to get people to look at houses purely as homes again, not investments, pensions or free money boxes.

HOLA4423

Blimey TMT, what have you been doing !!!

The 4.2% quote came from here:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=198263&hl=%2Bland+%2Bregistry#entry1102508993

And here:

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/media/all-releases/press-releases/2014/market-tren-data-march-2014

"Wales Monthly -4.2% Annual -1.6% £113,275"

Get yourself round some estate agents and tell them they are deluded ***ts after all.

They'll just say that Swansea is different.

War in central Europe might change things though.

HOLA4424

Mainly due to inflation. Prices go up and the true inflation adjusted value has also been going up but will this continue? How out of whack can the ratio of prices to income get before something gives? Currently so many people are sold on the property 'only ever goes up' lie it will take a Japan situation, of a big fall in prices and then years and years of declining prices to get people to look at houses purely as homes again, not investments, pensions or free money boxes.

If prices were to fall 50% tomorrow, buy 2 let with all the tax incentives it has would still be a good investment.

These need gotten rid of.

Edited by Corruption

HOLA4425