House Price Crash Forum

Hob Nob Inflation

HOLA441
HOLA442

Birdseye peas (my family won't try any others!) have cut the weight of the bags from 900g to 800g - but doubled the size of the packaging - so the bags look huge as a new bag is only about half full. They're now made of this really stiff plastic with a zip to reseal FFS!! It's extremely hard to pour the paes out because the bag is so stiff and the zip gets in the way. But at least it looks good value! (until you pick it up)

265305.jpg?v=2

How to maintain margins when costs rise without increasing the final price - or how to increase profit without increasing price in a highly competitive/flat market;

1. Dilute the product with more fillers. E.g Beef burgers and flour.

2. Increase the packaging size to supply more free air (but reduce the amount in the pack by weight)

3. Swap ingredients with more cheaper substitutes

4. Build in obsolescence so the customer has to return sooner for a repeat purchases e.g. wider mouth on shampoo bottles.

5. Change the packaging so it is cheaper - e.g. smaller bottle tops on fizzy drinks bottles.

6. Reduce the date of expiry (see number 4.), so either the customer or sellers further down the chain from the factory have to re-buy sooner.

Add the words "new and improved" on the pack to divert attention too!

HOLA443

Hob Nobs are just empty calories though. More fool you for buying them! Why not just have a few tablespoons of sugar?

If it comes in a packet, and advertised on the telly, its probably not worth buying (with the exception of eggs of course, that need some form of packaging to avoid getting broken)

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA444

Hob Nobs are just empty calories though. More fool you for buying them! Why not just have a few tablespoons of sugar?

The Blackstone Group still one of the main superior owner of United Biscuits?

Capital goods inflation/deflation is my focus for £ not pennies - and regardless - with biscuits and the like, some better value out there on if choose to look for it, with suggestions of retailers gearing up for more of a battle for the pound in the customer's pocket.

HOLA445

But you can still eat them if you make them from raw ingredients for less....I am sure someone can do the maths inc fuel and free time. ;)

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/11975/nob-hob-biscuits.aspx

I've done the maths.

Using the ASDA website for pricing:

Butter - 56p

Sugar - 12p

Flour - 4p

Oats - 11p

Milk/Syrup/Bicarp - call it 10p

Total ingredients: 93p

Not sure what 'leccy an oven uses - call it 3kw for 30mins at 15p per kwhr = 15p (but it heats your kitchen so in winter it's nil cost).

Giving £1.08p for 530g of biccies (adding up the big ingredients and assuming some evaporative losses).

Or £2.04 / Kg.

ASDA sell 300g packs of Hobnobs for £1

Or £3.33 / Kg.

A clear win for the home bakers.

HOLA446

If it comes in a packet, and advertised on the telly, its probably not worth buying (with the exception of eggs of course, that need some form of packaging to avoid getting broken)

Apart from practical reasons like being able to conveniently hold them with my fingers, don't get my fingers sticky, being able to lick the chocolate off them, etc.........it's cos they taste nicer than just eating raw sugar you old misery guts!

Edited by anonguest

HOLA447

Apart from practical reasons like being able to conveniently hold them with my fingers, don't get my fingers sticky, being able to lick the chocoialte off them, etc.........it's cos they taste nicer than just eating raw sugar you old misery guts!

:)

HOLA448

I've done the maths.

Butter - 56p

Sugar - 12p

Flour - 4p

Oats - 11p

Not sure what 'leccy an oven uses - call it 3kw for 30mins at 15p per kwhr = 15p (but it heats your kitchen so in winter it's nil cost).

Giving £1.08p for 530g of biccies (adding up the big ingredients and assuming some evaporative losses).

Or £2.04 / Kg.

Or £3.33 / Kg.

Powerfully persuasive IF you have the time........but you forgot the chocolate! :)

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Powerfully persuasive IF you have the time........but you forgot the chocolate! :)

OK, for the decadent among you, I've chucked in 50g of choc - which makes the comparison:

JTB's Signature Nobs - £2.12 / Kg of chocolatey goodness

Hobnobs - £3.82 / kg of:

[Rolled Oats (30%), Plain Chocolate (25%) [sugar, Cocoa Mass, Vegetable Fats (Palm, Sal and/or Shea), Butter Oil (Milk), Cocoa Butter, Emulsifier (Soya Lecithin, E476), Natural Flavouring], Wholemeal Wheat Flour (16%), Sugar, Vegetable Oil (Palm), Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Raising Agents (Sodium Bicarbonate, Ammonium Bicarbonate), Salt]

As for the time - don't eat expensive chemicals[1] to "save time".

[1] Although the hobnobs don't look to be such a horror story as some.

Edited by justthisbloke

HOLA4411

Butter - 56p

Sugar - 12p

Flour - 4p

Oats - 11p

You are forgetting that the shop hob-nobs will be made from the very cheapest ingredients in the whole of the known universe:

butter = superhydroginated mechanically recovered hog lard

sugar = high octane rape seed syrup

flour = sawdust

oats = wood chipings

milk = water

syrup = saccarine enhanced palm resin

Edited by davidg

HOLA4412

I've done the maths.

Butter - 56p

Sugar - 12p

Flour - 4p

Oats - 11p

Or £2.04 / Kg.

Or £3.33 / Kg.

Thanks for that, just as I thought.....will be making some today, sharing the oven so making good use of any wasted oven shelf space and heat.

Making food for yourself means you can use the best ingredients, and know exactly what goes into what you are eating, adjusting to taste, with no artificial colouring, presevatives or flavouring.....what is there not to like? :)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

You are forgetting that the shop hob-nobs will be made from the very cheapest ingredients in the whole of the known universe:

butter = superhydroginated mechanically recovered hog lard

sugar = high octane rape seed syrup

flour = sawdust

oats = wood chipings

milk = water

syrup = saccarine enhanced palm resin

Mmmmmm..... don't you just love the taste of 'value engineering'?

On a more serious note, a lot of food EPD is being driven by regulation. Retailers are pushing these standards irrespective of its impact on quality. Sometimes, the only way to stay compliant is to put less in.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

...because people on a budget would no longer buy it.......noticed colgate toothpaste was 125ml then 100ml then 75ml often the smaller sizes are the most expensive.......those with the least always almost end up paying the highest prices, like for like. ;)

I noticed that recently. I just use standard Colgate toothpaste, but I was trying to find some in Boots and it only seems to come in a tiny tube now. There's dozens of other varieties (Colgate® Total® Advanced, Colgate® Total® Advanced Whitening,Colgate® Total® Advanced Clean, Colgate® Total® Advanced Freshening,Colgate® Total® Pro Gum Health,Colgate® Total® Pro Gum Health Whitening Tartar Control,Colgate® Max White One,Colgate® Max White One Optic,Colgate® Max White One Luminous,Colgate® Max White One Active,Colgate® MaxFresh,Colgate® MaxFresh Night,Colgate® MaxFresh with Mouthwash Beads,Colgate® Advanced White,Colgate® Advanced White GoPure Gel,Colgate® Cool Stripe,Colgate® Blue Minty Gell,Colgate® Triple Action, ... and numerous others: http://www.colgate.co.uk/app/CP/UK/OC/Products/Toothpastes.cvsp ), but it seems that they really don't want to sell you plain old toothpaste.

Edit: ... and after all those Crunchies, Twixes, and so on, you really need to brush your teeth.

Edited by Scunnered

HOLA4417

I noticed that recently. I just use standard Colgate toothpaste, but I was trying to find some in Boots and it only seems to come in a tiny tube now. There's dozens of other varieties (Colgate® Total® Advanced, Colgate® Total® Advanced Whitening,Colgate® Total® Advanced Clean, Colgate® Total® Advanced Freshening,Colgate® Total® Pro Gum Health,Colgate® Total® Pro Gum Health Whitening Tartar Control,Colgate® Max White One,Colgate® Max White One Optic,Colgate® Max White One Luminous,Colgate® Max White One Active,Colgate® MaxFresh,Colgate® MaxFresh Night,Colgate® MaxFresh with Mouthwash Beads,Colgate® Advanced White,Colgate® Advanced White GoPure Gel,Colgate® Cool Stripe,Colgate® Blue Minty Gell,Colgate® Triple Action, ... and numerous others: http://www.colgate.co.uk/app/CP/UK/OC/Products/Toothpastes.cvsp ), but it seems that they really don't want to sell you plain old toothpaste.

Edit: ... and after all those Crunchies, Twixes, and so on, you really need to brush your teeth.

One thing I have noticed recently with certain brands of toothpaste is that they are significantly less viscous than they have been in the past.

Almost as if the manufacturers are adding more water to them.

Draw your own conclusions.

HOLA4418

Birdseye peas (my family won't try any others!) have cut the weight of the bags from 900g to 800g - but doubled the size of the packaging - so the bags look huge as a new bag is only about half full. They're now made of this really stiff plastic with a zip to reseal FFS!! It's extremely hard to pour the paes out because the bag is so stiff and the zip gets in the way. But at least it looks good value! (until you pick it up)

265305.jpg?v=2

Ah, yes, but with those bags it's easier to pour the cheap Lidl frozen peas into - so others think they are getting Birds Eye anyway.

Try that pepsi challenge with your family!

Report back findings please.

HOLA4419

One thing I have noticed recently with certain brands of toothpaste is that they are significantly less viscous than they have been in the past.

Metadent P is quite thick. You can tell this because any of it that slips off remains on the sink for weeks.

125mL 100mL 75mL Toothpaste

Me sir I can asnswer that!!!!

Erm erm they made the toothpaste smaller so it can go on aeroplanes!

HOLA4420

Might be the same reason marmites changed , the same stuff is supplied to the pump /squidgy deliverer as in the standard packaging so they don't need two formulas , needs to have a lower viscosity to work .....

I actually think that Morrisons marmite tastes more marmity than marmite does now ...(I can taste the celery in (nu) marmite Im sure) Its the marmite of my youth .....cheaper too

edit ...my 2012 nexus is getting harder to type on ....Im sure the screens shrinking ..!..or maybe too many hobnobs....... my fingers are getting less halal and more oink , perhaps

Edited by Tankus

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I have just been to Sainsbury's in East Dulwich where Hob Nobs are on special offer... a 262g packet of dark or milk chocolate for just £1.

Except that this works out to pretty much the same as the more familiar 300g pack would be when on special offer. I suspect that this new 262g pack is going to become the standard. Then when it is no longer on special offer it will go back to being sold at pretty much what the 300g pack would be sold at.

Personally I'm more impressed at you finding dark chocolate hob Nobs! Never seem to be able to find them myself.

Edited by anonguest

HOLA4424

Yes, I have noticed that all froth and no substance...... Must be big markups on toothpaste, can be make quite easily if push comes to shove....