House Price Crash Forum

After having just got back from doing some shopping and plonking myself down to a cuppa and a chocolate Hob Nob (or two!) I suddenly noticed that the seemingly cheap price of the pack I spotted isn't quite that cheap......as I noted that net weight of the pack is only(!) 262grammes. Unless I am mistaken these have always come in 300gramme packs. This pack has only 15 biscuits! :(

Maybe it's an odd lot/non-standard size? But....IF McVities have now reduced the standard 300g pack to 262g then that is hardly subtle. I mean IF I could spot that straight away......

I know this 'cheating', by shrinking product sizes, to avoid raising prices too much too fast and so produce the illusion of lower inflation is nothing new.......BUT this takes the biscuit!! NOW I am really p*ssed! :angry:

Edited by anonguest

Same with a lot of snacks. Recently bought some Snickers and they're nearly as small as the 'fun size' ones you used to get, can nearly finish them in two bites. Twix, et al are the same. If the manufacturers wanted to be more popular they should quiz people on social media about what size and price point they are willing to pay for.

Interestingly Hob Nobs are the one type of biscuit that Lidl seem incapable of copying properly. Their "Oaties" (I think they call them) are nothing like, whereas their chocolate digestives/bourbons/rich tea/custard cream etc etc are identical to the branded versions.

This has been going on for years now, and there are many threads about it here......inflation by the back door, higher prices V lower weight and volume V lower quality.....Less is costing more, and getting less with cheaper ingredients ......cheaper labour is being used to create and maintain growth, margins and profits....but it is clearly not growth for the customer, it is inferior products at the same or a higher price. ;)

Edited by winkie

This has been going on for years now, and there are many threads about it here......inflation by the back door, higher prices V lower weight and volume V lower quality.....Less is costing more, and getting less with cheaper ingredients ......cheaper labour is being used to create and maintain growth, margins and profits....but it is clearly not growth for the customer, it is inferior products at the same or a higher price. ;)

Even worse. You still eat the same amount though........but now, after having your treat/snack, you look and see you've apparently eaten HALF the pack - so now you feel even worse! :(

Edited by anonguest

Even worse. You still eat the same amount though........but now, after having your treat/snack, you look and see you've apparently eaten HALF the pack - so now you feel even worse! :D

The best bet is to make them yourself, then at least you know what it costs, what and how much you are getting......no packaging required. ;)

I think I have experienced worse.

Has anyone tried "new and improved" McCain Hash Browns recently?! Good God, I thought I was going to be sick.

I used to really like them when they were made of potato, now they appear to be made up of white slime fried in old cooking oil.

It would appear that I am not alone in this if you check out Ocado website. :angry:

I think I have experienced worse.

Has anyone tried "new and improved" McCain Hash Browns recently?! Good God, I thought I was going to be sick.

I used to really like them when they were made of potato, now they appear to be made up of white slime fried in old cooking oil.

It would appear that I am not alone in this if you check out Ocado website. :angry:

Experience tells me that anything make in bulk for the mass market that states it has been improved or new recipie, has not been improved for the buyer but the seller....inferior cheaper ingredient/s have been used.....water, jel, fats, corn syrup, salt....salt helps to give flavour to something that has very little flavour.....cynical as I am in certain circumstances.....all depending, helps to keep the prices down and growth up.....until people stop buying it.

This definitely winds me up, I'd rather they just put the price up and maintain the usual pack size!

...because people on a budget would no longer buy it.......noticed colgate toothpaste was 125ml then 100ml then 75ml often the smaller sizes are the most expensive.......those with the least always almost end up paying the highest prices, like for like. ;)

I gave my daughter a Crunchie bar today; "they've made them bigger", she said.

"Er, no?", I replied confused, "a bit smaller, surely?"

"What? You mean these aren't the fun size variety pack ones then?"

Nope. They were the full Monty; the real deal, the genuine 4-star fully leaded article. Or, rather, not. They were, indeed, tiny.

"I suppose that's inflation" concluded my perceptive sprog. I suppose I'll get a demand soon for an RPI busting pocket money rise. Well, I might if I actually handed out pocket money.

Those CEOs on 300x their avg employee salary need to justify their existence somehow, and keep increasing those dividends to themselves.

Only the global creme de la creme are smart enough to fool their customers with these ingenious ruses.

But you can still eat them if you make them from raw ingredients for less....I am sure someone can do the maths inc fuel and free time. ;)

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/11975/nob-hob-biscuits.aspx

Thanks. I have bookmarked that page. It looks tempting......except I'm almost banned from the kitchen, for making anything more sophisticated than beans on toast or cheese and pickle sandwiches. Apparently, if I try anything more adventurous, I'm told I leave the place looking like a war zone..........

Edited by anonguest

Was having the same conversation with myself after a shopping trip to asda recently. Bought some of the (perpetually on offer) 4packs of toffee crisps, twirls, crunchies.

They're absolutely tiny, like you guys have said, comparable to 'fun-size' (tho how eating a snack is fun I don't know!). If I didn't have such a sweet tooth I'd stop buying them. I think they only have them on offer all the time so, even tho they've shrunk in size, shoppers still think they're a good offer.

It's just stealth inflation. Like instead of just putting the price up to maintain their profits they just rip the public off by hoping we won't notice. And they're right. Barely anyone notices (or at least notices to the point they're prepared to complain/vote with their feet).

That said, isn't hobnob inflation remarkably similar to house price inflation. Schmucks prepared to pay the same, or more, for ever-smaller slaveboxes. An no-one complains about that do they. They just see it as an pension fund that they MUST invest in.

Perhaps I should start saving crunchies for my retirement now... They'll probably last longer than some of the new-builds I've seen... :)

Was having the same conversation with myself after a shopping trip to asda recently. Bought some of the (perpetually on offer) 4packs of toffee crisps, twirls, crunchies.

They're absolutely tiny, like you guys have said, comparable to 'fun-size' (tho how eating a snack is fun I don't know!). If I didn't have such a sweet tooth I'd stop buying them. I think they only have them on offer all the time so, even tho they've shrunk in size, shoppers still think they're a good offer.

It's just stealth inflation. Like instead of just putting the price up to maintain their profits they just rip the public off by hoping we won't notice. And they're right. Barely anyone notices (or at least notices to the point they're prepared to complain/vote with their feet).

That said, isn't hobnob inflation remarkably similar to house price inflation. Schmucks prepared to pay the same, or more, for ever-smaller slaveboxes. An no-one complains about that do they. They just see it as an pension fund that they MUST invest in.

Perhaps I should start saving crunchies for my retirement now... They'll probably last longer than some of the new-builds I've seen... :)

:D:D:D

My sentiments too. Though I suspect that Crunchies lasting that long is a wee bit of an exaggeration. There must be some confectionery that could just possibly last long enough? Polos? Wine Gums? Victory V Lozenges?

The reason for many candy related downsizings:

Goodbye To The King Size: Mars To Downsize Candy Bars In 2013

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/02/15/146929211/goodbye-to-the-king-size-mars-to-downsize-candy-bars-in-2013

TLDR: A lot of the snack bars are moving from 58g to 52g so they are under 250 calories. The old king size bars were 440 calories.

Muller light yoghurts or Muller rice are some of the best examples of shrinkflation at its worst. The pots are half-empty. Not buying them ever again.

#shrinkflation a Twitter hashtag already!

Yorkies have lost a whole chunk, incase no-one had noticed :)

I think they are ok for girls now :P

Not really shrinkflation. But I travel a lot and tend to use Mcd's as a de facto service station these days. The amount of of times I ask for a large latte and it's 3/4 full is getting beyond a joke now. I do pull them on it.

Birdseye peas (my family won't try any others!) have cut the weight of the bags from 900g to 800g - but doubled the size of the packaging - so the bags look huge as a new bag is only about half full. They're now made of this really stiff plastic with a zip to reseal FFS!! It's extremely hard to pour the paes out because the bag is so stiff and the zip gets in the way. But at least it looks good value! (until you pick it up)

265305.jpg?v=2

Edited by oldsport