House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrPin

Crap Electronics

My AV amplifier is well porked! It became unreliable a month or so back, now it refuses to give any sound out! I'm a bit peeved, as it was a fairly expensive one! A few years old now, but I expected it to last better. Curse you Mr Onkyo!

Anyway Richer Sounds have heard of my credit card yet again, and I've ordered a real cheapo! Well £150.

My AV amplifier is well porked! It became unreliable a month or so back, now it refuses to give any sound out! I'm a bit peeved, as it was a fairly expensive one! A few years old now, but I expected it to last better. Curse you Mr Onkyo!

Anyway Richer Sounds have heard of my credit card yet again, and I've ordered a real cheapo! Well £150.

You're an electronics guy right ? Why do you not fix ? One of the mosfets give out so it wasn't worthwhile ?

You're an electronics guy right ? Why do you not fix ? One of the mosfets give out so it wasn't worthwhile ?

Doge? Beneficial enlightenment!

No I don't think it's that! It used do a good click, before the sound came on! A relay I guess! Now it does not! It's not "getting" the sound input from the HDMI!

When I say a "cheapo", it will be a Yamaha, now I have a few bits of kit with Yamaha written on it, and never known a dud, no 7.1, but I don't have enough speakers, so IF I want to bi-amp the front ones, as I will, I'll be getting the Quad 405's out of their boxes. Let's waste electricity while we can! Now I can fix those burgers!

meter....coin....reset.

No Mr Loo! It's been perfect up to a month ago! I've tried all the resets. Perfect for 3 years! It's not a software problem!

Another hidden inflation. They only measure quantity (price) not quality. I still have 25 year old japanese TVs and VCRs in fine working order. Buy the chinese crap they use in inflation stats and it lasts a year or two if you're lucky.

Its hardly low inflation if you have to replace the damn thing every 18 months.

Another hidden inflation. They only measure quantity (price) not quality. I still have 25 year old japanese TVs and VCRs in fine working order. Buy the chinese crap they use in inflation stats and it lasts a year or two if you're lucky.

Like I say Mr Sadman! I have a pair of Quad 405/Mk2's, and the 44 control box! That's music to me. These AV amps never have it!

They can't produce the "alleged" power or drive "difficult" speakers! There are no speakers more offfensive, than my ex-wife! BTW :blink:

More likely to be capacitors than MOSFET transistors: they tend to go in the output stages of amplifiers. However, if the symptom is that audio input via HDMI has suddenly disappeared, that would suggest a software issue, or flash memory used to hold configuration settings becoming corrupted.

More likely to be capacitors than MOSFET transistors: they tend to go in the output stages of amplifiers. However, if the symptom is that audio input via HDMI has suddenly disappeared, that would suggest a software issue, or flash memory used to hold configuration settings becoming corrupted.

I just think it's *****ered! :blink:

How opportune!

Why washing machines are no longer built to last.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27253103

God, I hate this new input form thing.

Ah it's probably fixable

Everything is fixable. It's a matter of how long you want to spend arsing around with it and whether its worth your while.

if you build/design amps for your day job you aren't going to want to spend the week end messing with more of them.

Everything is fixable. It's a matter of how long you want to spend arsing around with it and whether its worth your while.

if you build/design amps for your day job you aren't going to want to spend the week end messing with more of them.

I don't design amplifiers for my day job! I help out sad guitarists who can play well, but don't know how shit works!

The shop will tell them its a £150 tube change, when all they needed was a 50p capacitor!

Suggested reading - a book that Mrs. Ayatollah bought me as an impulse buy at Barnes and Noble. My initial response was slight peevishness, because from the front cover it looked like a 'for dummies' volume, and I considered myself a little above that level. However, I was very impressed with it: beautifully written (unusual for a technical manual), goes back over basic electronics theory, much of which I'd forgotten, and proposes some genuinely useful fault-finding approaches for different types of consumer kit.

Michael Jay Geier, How to Diagnose and Fix Everything Electronic, McGraw Hill (2011).

Suggested reading - a book that Mrs. Ayatollah bought me as an impulse buy at Barnes and Noble. My initial response was slight peevishness, because from the front cover it looked like a 'for dummies' volume, and I considered myself a little above that level. However, I was very impressed with it: beautifully written (unusual for a technical manual), goes back over basic electronics theory, much of which I'd forgotten, and proposes some genuinely useful fault-finding approaches for different types of consumer kit.

Michael Jay Geier, How to Diagnose and Fix Everything Electronic, McGraw Hill (2011).

I am excited! :blink:

An inevitable feature in most textbooks like that seems to be too much unnecessary in depth theory that won't really help you fix stuff.

Get a textbook on automotive electrical fault-finding and there's a lot of padding like a page on npn silicon layers. Sometimes some broader knowledge can be useful but I can't see how understanding transistors on an atomic level helps you get an airbag light turned off.

I've just seen an advert for RS! Clever eh? :blink:

I will be taking the lid off to see if anything obvious has "popped" :unsure:

I'm a bit annoyed that a £5 USB sound card, that I got from PC World stopped working after a few months.

Have you tried switching it off, then back on again?

On a serious note, have you tried a different USB port, or even a different PC. I have a USB port on my Toshiba laptop that won't talk to my camera, but is fine for other things :blink:

It doesn't even light up. But having dismantled it, I can see one of PCB contacts has come away and its dry jointed to fck. Still only a fiver.

I'm a bit annoyed that a £5 USB sound card, that I got from PC World stopped working after a few months.

I'd pretty much stop working after a few months for a fiver! :blink:

An inevitable feature in most textbooks like that seems to be too much unnecessary in depth theory that won't really help you fix stuff.

One of the things I liked about Geier is that it (for me, at any rate) got the balance of theory and application right, taking a "this is why doing this will solve this problem" approach, but not spending 3,000 words on the research that led to the discovery of Ohm's law, etc.

Onkyo have developed a reputation for being unreliable. They seem to have gone down the line of using the cheapest crap possible.

I'm not sure what the answer is, other than sticking a 5 year guarantee on something when you buy it.

Onkyo have developed a reputation for being unreliable. They seem to have gone down the line of using the cheapest crap possible.

I'm not sure what the answer is, other than sticking a 5 year guarantee on something when you buy it.

Richer Sounds' aftercare option, at 10% of purchase price for 5 years of cover, seems like a sensible option in the circumstances. I'm generally very sceptical of additional warranties but with the RS one you get a full refund if unused at expiration. They rely on people not bothering to reclaim I guess (think you have to do it within a month of the 5 year anniversary), if you are organised it looks like a no brainer.

Pin could emulate my own home cinema set up and get an ancient Yamaha Dolby Digital AV 'processor', which only has amps for the rear/centre three channels, and use his powers for the mains. They seem to be out of fashion these days but remain a good option for those simply wishing to tack on a telly/DVD player to an existing hifi. No HDMI routing via the processor due to age but you can put the DVD straight to the telly via HDMI instead.

DSP-E492

DSP-E800

are the sorts of things I mean.

Cheap 'n Chinkie capacitors on the output stages would be my guess. Big electrolytic capacitors are the components that fail on consumer PCB-based products most often (especially audio amplifiers), because the poorer quality ones tend to overheat, lose capacity and eventually burst. They are also where the biggest production savings are to be made in using poor quality ones.

The irony is that these are probably the easiest components to diagnose and fix for the amateur repair man. Failed ones almost always expand and bulge a bit (hence the grooves cut into the top of them, to prevent high-pressure explosions), and therefore can be detected by the naked eye. Replacement is a case of ordering a replacement of the same capacitance and the same or a higher voltage rating, followed by a simple soldering job. I was once given a Fostex 1/4" tape recorder that cost £2k new and which its owner was going to put in the skip. The only fault was a blown £4.50 capacitor in the output stage of one of the channels of recording preamp.

They seem to be getting there! Maybe I should have had the extra warranty! :blink:

The replacement Yamaha should arrive tomorrow, and this one is not nearly so expensive! In fact it's one of the cheaper ones from Richer Sounds!