House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Cheap Scanner

Any recommendations on a cheap scanner around the £50 mark or less?

It appears the magic fairies in the house have broken mine and now I need a replacement. It's not something I use often but it's useful to have one.

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?q=flatbed+scanner&sort=price%20ascending

There's the following at ebuyer.

My scanner broke last year. I couldn't find a reasonably priced one so ended up buying a combination printer for about 30 quid at PC World and ignoring the printer bit.

Edit: Mine's an Epson, but this seems to be the cheapest at the moment... http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/printers-ink/printers-scanners/all-in-one-printers/canon-pixma-mg2450-all-in-one-inkjet-printer-21738765-pdt.html

My scanner broke last year. I couldn't find a reasonably priced one so ended up buying a combination printer for about 30 quid at PC World and ignoring the printer bit.

Edit: Mine's an Epson, but this seems to be the cheapest at the moment... http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/printers-ink/printers-scanners/all-in-one-printers/canon-pixma-mg2450-all-in-one-inkjet-printer-21738765-pdt.html

That is what you get now! Hard to find a plain "just scanner". My last one needed a SCSI card!

I get the impression that most people who simply want to scan the odd document for emailing use the scanner component of an all-in-one, and those who require advanced capabilities (e.g. a lamp in the lid for rudimentary film scanning, a high native resolution and/or ICE or colour correction functions) would buy a dedicated, higher end scanner costing £150 plus. I haven't seen basic, standalone consumer document scanners about for ages.

Veering slightly away from the OP's question, I wish someone would start making a reasonably priced scanner with a large-ish (i.e. A3 or even slightly bigger) platter. Mustek made one in the mid-00s which Ebuyer sold for £100ish, but I was unable to make mine function reliably under Vista or 7 (no dedicated drivers were produced for it, and forcing the XP ones to install resulted in it freezing every so often). AFAIK there is now no consumer scanner on the market with a platter size bigger than US legal. If you want to scan bigger documents, you either have to scan them in chunks and then stitch them together in Photoshop, or pay very serious money.

I get the impression that most people who simply want to scan the odd document for emailing use the scanner component of an all-in-one, and those who require advanced capabilities (e.g. a lamp in the lid for rudimentary film scanning, a high native resolution and/or ICE or colour correction functions) would buy a dedicated, higher end scanner costing £150 plus. I haven't seen basic, standalone consumer document scanners about for ages.

Veering slightly away from the OP's question, I wish someone would start making a reasonably priced scanner with a large-ish (i.e. A3 or even slightly bigger) platter. Mustek made one in the mid-00s which Ebuyer sold for £100ish, but I was unable to make mine function reliably under Vista or 7 (no dedicated drivers were produced for it, and forcing the XP ones to install resulted in it freezing every so often). AFAIK there is now no consumer scanner on the market with a platter size bigger than US legal. If you want to scan bigger documents, you either have to scan them in chunks and then stitch them together in Photoshop, or pay very serious money.

Surely you mean foolscap (13x8), which is what we had to write on when I went to school in 1890! It was like Harry Potter land

The actual platter size of the scanner in the all-in-one I'm using at the mo is 14 x 8.5; the same as US Legal, the same width as "formal" foolscap, but half an inch longer. When I researched the purchase shortly before buying the all-in-one, I established that anything with a bigger platter than that costs serious money. However (before I left the UK, at least), I needed to scan larger documents (e.g. large photos or small posters) just often enough for me to miss that A3 Mustek, and I wish that someone would market a scanner with consumer imaging quality but a large format platter again.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/printers-ink/printers-scanners/all-in-one-printers/709_7033_70033_xx_xx/1_20/price-asc/xx-criteria.html

Well if I'm going all in one, then I want wireless so all the PC's can use it.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/printers-ink/printers-scanners/all-in-one-printers/canon-pixma-mg3250-wireless-all-in-one-inkjet-printer-18046146-pdt.html?sPageInfo=1_20&sSortInfo=price-asc

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/printers-ink/printers-scanners/all-in-one-printers/epson-expression-home-xp-215-wireless-all-in-one-inkjet-printer-21650992-pdt.html?sPageInfo=1_20&sSortInfo=price-asc

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/printers-ink/printers-scanners/all-in-one-printers/canon-pixma-mg3550-wireless-all-in-one-inkjet-printer-21732477-pdt.html?sPageInfo=1_20&sSortInfo=price-asc

£39 to £45.

Obviously subsidised by you needing to buy the ink afterwards. I haven't had a printer for over a decade!

Or not if you just want to use it as a scanner. Check the specs carefully as it looks like some don't offer wireless scanning as well as printing.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother with wireless for scanning only as you have to go to the machine to put the document in so you might as well use USB (assuming you're using a laptop).

Just photograph documents with your phone. I do that a lot these days.

The last time I was in the (UK) National Archives in West London, I was interested to note that they're replaced their photocopiers with a bank of D-SLRs on copying stands. The kit lens which came with them (18-55mm IIRC) was good enough in macro mode to produce perfectly legible photos. That arrangement is certainly a lot gentler to the spines of bound volumes, and to sheafs of papers bound with treasury tags etc., than a flatbed.

I have a really nice Laserjet 3020 with a built in scanner bought second hand about 10 years ago. I have to say, the amount of money and time a laser jet saves over an ink jet is extraordinary.

A few good apps for smart phones that crop and white balance scanned material. I use camscanner for receipts for business expenses.

Just photograph documents with your phone. I do that a lot these days.

Works like a charm, particularly with the (free) camscanner app. Camscanner has some excellent features that adjust contrast, crop, correct parralax etc. then saves as .pdf or whatever.

I have a really nice Laserjet 3020 with a built in scanner bought second hand about 10 years ago. I have to say, the amount of money and time a laser jet saves over an ink jet is extraordinary.

I would always recommend buying quality older 2nd hand office eqpt, like that, originally aimed at corporate environments for buttons off ebay than buying anything new from a shop which may have a warranty but will be a cheap bit of tat that won't do the job well.

As others have said I find I take a lot of pictures of documents with my phone then email them to myself these days. If you do have stacks of A4 to scan in then go for something with an automatic document feeder. Don't know the model but at work we've got some variety of HPs for scanning loads of paper delivery notes, invoices etc. and the feeder is very tolerant of scruffy paper that's been folded and well handled.