House Price Crash Forum

Channel 5 Bought For £450Million By Mtv And Comedy Central Owners Viacom

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/473561/US-media-giant-and-MTV-owner-Viacom-set-to-buy-Channel-5-for-450-million

The MTV owner will acquire the channel from Richard Desmond’s Northern & Shell group, which has owned it since 2010.

It described Channel 5 as “one of British television’s biggest brands” with the deal representing a significant profit on the £103.5million Mr Desmond initially paid.

Viacom president and chief executive Philippe Dauman, said: “Channel 5’s momentum is indisputable, with impactful programming, increasing popularity and a growing digital platform.

“Channel 5’s management and employees have done an outstanding job building their brand and we welcome them to our team.”

Chief operating officer at Channel 5, Paul Dunthorne, said the business had been “transformed” since Northern & Shell bought it. The deal, he said, offered “numerous exciting opportunities for the channel’s future”.

Mr Desmond, who also owns the Daily Express and Daily Star newspapers and OK! magazine, turned Channel 5 around by slashing costs and focusing on reality shows, including Big Brother and Celebrity Big Brother.

Anyone on here watch Channel 5? I can't recall every watching a series on it. Maybe might have watched some dross whilst channel hopping for 10 / 15 minutes but it's output has never appealed to me.

Still a £350m profit in 4 years for producing nothing which stands out is impressive.

Edited by interestrateripoff

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/473561/US-media-giant-and-MTV-owner-Viacom-set-to-buy-Channel-5-for-450-million

Anyone on here watch Channel 5? I can't recall every watching a series on it. Maybe might have watched some dross whilst channel hopping for 10 / 15 minutes but it's output has never appealed to me.

Still a £350m profit in 4 years for producing nothing which stands out is impressive.

Yes, they're (there's more than one channel 5 channel y'know) full of American dirge so its no wonder Viacom bought it.

CSI: Vegas and NCIS in their creative prime were very entertaining shows, but I kind of gotten bored of Channel 5 screening big budget yet formulaic US made procedurals. And they treat sci-fi/fantasy shows in a pretty shoddy way (dropping Once Upon a Time already and shunting Helix all over the place).

Edited by Big Orange