House Price Crash Forum

Don’T Blame The Recession – I'm Moving Back Home Because I'm Lazy'

HOLA441

Half of British young adults will live with their parents because of the housing crisis within a generation, a report shows. But Radhika Sanghani, about to move back home herself, says it's not for the reasons you might think.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10801103/Dont-blame-the-recession-Im-moving-back-home-because-Im-lazy.html

Conveniently placed article underneath a BTL ramping article in the Torygraph. Somehow they have managed to find some moronic mid 20's, middle class journalism student willing to sell out her generation for a career at the DT. High prices and rents are not the sole cause of a priced out generation returning home. It is, if you can believe it laziness driving the kids home.

Just another attack on the younger generations via the right wing media justifying their predicament as a generation fit only to be milked.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Maybe stay away from The Telegraph?

I still like the DT. The business news is great compared to the indy and guardian and it is always good to have a balanced view of the news both left and right flavoured.

But the odd few articles that come out trying to rewrite reality are annoying.

HOLA445
There are rooms you can rent in Zones 1-2 for less than £550 a month (good by London's standards), and they’re not always a 25 minute walk from the nearest Tube station

Sounds marvelous. Where do I apply?

HOLA446
HOLA447

Half of British young adults will live with their parents because of the housing crisis within a generation, a report shows. But Radhika Sanghani, about to move back home herself, says it's not for the reasons you might think.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10801103/Dont-blame-the-recession-Im-moving-back-home-because-Im-lazy.html

Conveniently placed article underneath a BTL ramping article in the Torygraph. Somehow they have managed to find some moronic mid 20's, middle class journalism student willing to sell out her generation for a career at the DT. High prices and rents are not the sole cause of a priced out generation returning home. It is, if you can believe it laziness driving the kids home.

Just another attack on the younger generations via the right wing media justifying their predicament as a generation fit only to be milked.

Most people think the choices they make are down to their own free will, and at some level they are.

What they don't see, if they don't think about the world around them, are the economic forces that influence those choices.

The best example of this is fashion. If you ask people why they wear what they wear, they'll tell you they like it or it's comfortable, or something like that. They won't talk about being persuaded or influenced. And yet, amazingly, they all dress the same.

This is particularly true in a society where individualism is the dominant ideology, and even more so if you're trying to rationalise apparent failure.

Of course a generation will become 'lazy' if you take away the rewards for working, but they won't necessarily realise what has happened.

Edited by (Blizzard)

HOLA448

Most people think the choices they make are down to their own free will, and at some level they are.

What they don't see, if they don't think about the world around them, are the economic forces that influence those choices.

Of course a generation will become 'lazy' if you take away the rewards for working, but they won't necessarily realise what has happened.

Good points. I think a lot do realise, but just don't articulate it in ways that are easy to link; eating disorders, mental health issues, apathy, violence. We are not very good as a species at looking beyond the immediate consequences. We still have a dominant ideology that stresses the importance of working, but the rewards of that work are being undermined. So we decry consequences rather than causes. No country or people are inherently lazy, people respond to reward.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Im sure its high stereotypical of me to point this out, but she is Asian, and intergenerational living is pretty much the norm in some communities, no?

Maybe no stigma for her from her community peers, but for a lot of people, there's a real feeling of failure.

I work in London and know a number of British Asians who do not live with the parents. The married ones and the ones from Birmingham.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

The young today are too selfish to work hard to enrich the rentier class- disgusting. They should be out there taking on debt to buy a crap house or paying some landlord half their income for the right to occupy some rancid flat.

And that is why i still live at home at 36 , i could buy a house with a big deposit but choose not to until we are at more sane levels :rolleyes: , if that day ever comes of course

HOLA4416

Im sure that many do, but its probably not looked down on if they do live with parents.

Who gives a stuff what other people think? Why not take every advantage you can get against this market.

Especially if it's a comfortable advantage, with limited downsides.

Country has way too many older owners swanning around in larger suburban homes with empty bedrooms.

Going to be interesting how people looking down on such 'failures' cope when HPC comes and their own circumstances, value of their homes, dramatically become more affordable.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Im sure its high stereotypical of me to point this out, but she is Asian, and intergenerational living is pretty much the norm in some communities, no?

Maybe no stigma for her from her community peers, but for a lot of people, there's a real feeling of failure.

Daily Telegraph readers mostly.

HOLA4419

...JR and Bobby + their families lived with their parents ...!...so what's the issue...?.... :rolleyes:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I'm 35 this year, and my wife and I live with my mum. I admit that I am by nature extremely lazy, but that didn't stop me doing stressful full time shift work for 7 years. Last year I realised that it wasn't worth the ****-ache, and went part time.