House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Thousands Of Pounds Offered To Homeowners For Green Home Makeovers

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/may/01/thousands-of-pounds-offered-to-homeowners-for-green-home-makeovers

Payments of thousands of pounds will be available to householders in England and Wales who install energy-saving measures such as insulation and new boilers from June, in a move designed to breathe new life into the government's flagship energy efficiency scheme.

The green deal, which launched in January 2013, was hailed by ministers as "transformational" and the "biggest home improvement programme since the second world war". But the scheme was dogged by administrative problems and even energy secretary, Ed Davey, conceded earlier this year that the financing that had been at the heart of the initiative was "disappointing".

The Guardian can reveal that ministers will announce a bold new package of measures on Thursday, known as the green deal home improvement fund, in a bid to revive the scheme.

A £500 payment will be offered for anyone who installs energy efficiency measures within 12 months of moving into a property. They will also get £1,000 for fitting any combination of two measures from a list of twelve improvements, which include installing double glazing, cavity wall insulation, a new boiler, replacement doors and flat roof insulation.

Householders with older homes that have solid walls who undertake the much more expensive process of having solid wall insulation will be able to claim 75% of the cost, up to a maximum of £6,000, from the government.

I'm sure this new announcement has nothing at all to do with boosting GDP in the short term. No election due.

Why should the government be giving money away to people who own property? Why can't they undertake the repairs and maintenance themselves?

I can understand the point of a tax rebate (VAT) on encouraging people to increase their homes efficiency, but a cash bung?

I recall reading that the UK has the least efficient housing stock in Europe, caused by the high land prices taking away money that should be spent upgrading and maintaining property.

I am now feeling gutted as I could have benefited from this big time last year as a) I was within 12 months of moving and B) I spent a fortune doing much of the stuff on that list.

Did manage to take the house from an EPC of G1 to C76 though - and it is much cosier as well as the energy bills being tiny now. On track to be less than £15/month during the summer.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

Why should the government be giving money away to people who own property? Why can't they undertake the repairs and maintenance themselves?

I can understand the point of a tax rebate (VAT) on encouraging people to increase their homes efficiency, but a cash bung?

I recall reading that the UK has the least efficient housing stock in Europe, caused by the high land prices taking away money that should be spent upgrading and maintaining property.

They are only giving them back some of the money they paid in stamp duty. And their banker mates still get to lend money at 7% to them.

Can't for the life of me see why 7% rate. Interest rate should be money market rate+ risk. Where is the risk are people going to give up using electric and gas on that plot of land forever?

I guess the energy efficency of the UK's housing stock is not such a big deal as the housees here are tiny compared to elsewhere.

You may be surprised. UK houses are on average very old and inefficient. I believe something like only 15% of houses in the UK have been built since WW2

Uninsulated Victorian houses, even if small will leak an awful lot of heat.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/may/01/thousands-of-pounds-offered-to-homeowners-for-green-home-makeovers

I'm sure this new announcement has nothing at all to do with boosting GDP in the short term. No election due.

if this is for real they can come and fit some solar panels on my roof for free.

fine with me.I'm all for having a few alternatives to centrally provided gas& electricity.

while they're at it I'd like a bore-hole and a small pump for the water.