House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Oliver Sutton

Mortgage Approvals Fall Again In March

I never understand why people think the 90000 at the peak of the last boom is the norm that we should be aiming for.

I see business lending gets a brief mention at the bottom of the page, who cares about job creation anyway!

I never understand why people think the 90000 at the peak of the last boom is the norm that we should be aiming for.

I see business lending gets a brief mention at the bottom of the page, who cares about job creation anyway!

Well the Ponzi needs that volume of transactions for sheeple to get their money out? Doesn`t bother me, but there are an awful lot of people who are never going to shift their house unless they SERIOUSLY cut the price.

Well the Ponzi needs that volume of transactions for sheeple to get their money out? Doesn`t bother me, but there are an awful lot of people who are never going to shift their house unless they SERIOUSLY cut the price.

+1

As there was a baby boom...there will be a death boom too.

One falls the other.

+1

As there was a baby boom...there will be a death boom too.

One falls the other.

But with people living longer that is going to be far more spread out.

Edited by Corruption

The introduction of HtB2 pulled forward what little demand there was in the market and helped push up prices somewhat. That money appears largely to have been spent now.

Osborne needs peak prices + peak volumes to keep his deficit spending on a falling trend and maintain the facade of recovery.

The introduction of HtB2 pulled forward what little demand there was in the market and helped push up prices somewhat. That money appears largely to have been spent now.

Osborne needs peak prices + peak volumes to keep his deficit spending on a falling trend and maintain the facade of recovery.

im still at a loss on how HTB2 brought a single person to market...you paid more, yet still had to meet the safe lending criteria.

im still at a loss on how HTB2 brought a single person to market...you paid more, yet still had to meet the safe lending criteria.

It's an indication of how many people are prevented from borrowing because of deposit more than the monthly repayment costs.

To continue my argument from other threads you can see how we can get to stage where HPI tops at a max salary multiple and more methods of lending are brought in to enable more people to borrow (30yr, 100% LTV etc.) but keeping a bit of sanity by tightening the salary multiple criteria.

Some people might have lied

It's an indication of how many people are prevented from borrowing because of deposit more than the monthly repayment costs.

Prevented from borrowing something they can't afford. Oh the humanity! I'm 'prevented' from owning five Ferraris for some reason, won't the government help me out?

It's troll alert 5 on this one.

The Bbc had this as approvals dropped by -11.9% in three months. I have not checked this. Looking at the land registry data yesterday volumes have increased a fair bit on comparatives. is this the market rapidly grinding to a halt?

Safe lending and affordable housing are dragging the market down then. :wacko:

Shame.

Reality has to strike eventually. The tories have just made the inevitable pain much worse if you ask me.

In two ways.

With HtB2, mortgage insurance costs are borne by the taxpayer not the lender so rates can be kept lower than would otherwise be the case without negatively impacting margins.

Given that these are high LTV loans it's unlikely that they could be made at all without HtB2 since the borrowers would fail to satisfy safe lending requirements. It's my understanding that HtB2 has led the widespread re-introduction of 95% LTVs.

How long till the government bring in FTB...Forced to Buy....where everyone must sign up to buy a poxy off plan flat at 10 times their income all funded by the banks.

The banks will get 6% of your income and the government will take 95%.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

I would love to see "help-to-let" introduced where landlords are offered 100% mortgages on new builds, with interest only mortgages with no-repayment proof.

This will get the construction industry on fire. Screw the consequences, they will become apparent after 5 years and that will be the end of any more property booms during my life time.