House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Who Report: Antibiotic Resistance Happening Right Now All Over The World

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/who-report-antibiotic-resistance-happening-right-now-all-over-the-world-9306122.html

Antibiotic resistance, which can lead to minor injuries and common post-operative infections becoming fatal, is no longer a prediction for the future but is happening “right now”, the World Health Organisation has said.

In a stark report, global health officials said that antibiotic resistance, the process whereby bacteria evolve to resist the drugs we use to combat them, “threatens the achievements of modern medicine” and will have “devastating” consequences unless “every country and individual” in the world takes action to prevent its further spread.

The report, the WHO’s first looking at the threat on a global scale, analysed data from 114 countries and found that antibiotic resistance was happening in “every region of the world and has the potential to affect anyone, of any age, in any country”.

Already, resistance to last resort treatments for life-threatening hospital infections caused by the common bacteria Klebsiella pneumoniae has spread to all parts of the world, the report said. Resistance to the most widely used drugs for treating urinary tract infections caused by E.coli is also widespread, while last resort drugs to treat gonorrhoea has been confirmed in 10 developed countries, including the UK.

Luckily Darwin was wrong...

Still I'm sure big pharma will get to profit once none of the drugs work...

Oh well, at least it'll deal with the problem of elderly people lingering on..

Nah it'll bound to be the young and active who'll be wiped out first.

As if we didn't have a chronic ageing population crisis as it is. Most Third World countries will do okay and may in a sense even benefit from an easing of any overpopulation problem, while the senescent West will feel even more pressure particularly on their finances (the whole inter-generational imbalance and unfairness so often bewailed on this forum). Above all, a country like Japan could practically slide into a national emergency - it'll test their age-long anti-immigration culture to the very limit.

My partner is always mentioning her colleagues at work get antibiotic courses for the common cold. Not only does it beggar people that people still visit their GP with the common cold, but that the bloody GPs then see fit to kill us all by making our species antibiotic resistant.

Antibiotics have been a miracle for some cases. Especially things like surgery - take antibiotics out of the equation and suddenly even 'routine' surgery becomes seriously dangerous, and major surgery basically impossible, even with extreme anti-infection measures. They can be life savers for the very young as well.

But it's quite unlikely that you'll really need them between the ages of perhaps 12 and 60 - the last time I had any was about 20 years ago. Obviously if you have a serious injury or manage to pick up a persistent infection then perhaps yes.

(And if you are unlucky enough to develop cancer requiring surgery and chemo then you'll really, really want antibiotics)

The problem comes when you get towards the end of your life and develop things like dementia, or other illnesses that are brutal but lingering. Once upon a time, pneumonia would take you in a reasonably peaceful manner, but of course we can treat that with antibiotics now. And medical staff are under a lot of pressure not to let people die..

My partner is always mentioning her colleagues at work get antibiotic courses for the common cold. Not only does it beggar people that people still visit their GP with the common cold, but that the bloody GPs then see fit to kill us all by making our species antibiotic resistant.

Those GPs aren't fit to practise, and those patients should be struck off the NHS too. Ruining it for the rest of us!

Those GPs aren't fit to practise, and those patients should be struck off the NHS too. Ruining it for the rest of us!

Yes but think about what they are adding to GDP. Stop being selfish!

mums take babe in at the slightest snuffle.

99% say they are amazed their dying child is by lunch time raring to go and a PITA..

Antibiotics have been a miracle for some cases. Especially things like surgery - take antibiotics out of the equation and suddenly even 'routine' surgery becomes seriously dangerous, and major surgery basically impossible, even with extreme anti-infection measures. They can be life savers for the very young as well.

But it's quite unlikely that you'll really need them between the ages of perhaps 12 and 60 - the last time I had any was about 20 years ago. Obviously if you have a serious injury or manage to pick up a persistent infection then perhaps yes.

(And if you are unlucky enough to develop cancer requiring surgery and chemo then you'll really, really want antibiotics)

The problem comes when you get towards the end of your life and develop things like dementia, or other illnesses that are brutal but lingering. Once upon a time, pneumonia would take you in a reasonably peaceful manner, but of course we can treat that with antibiotics now. And medical staff are under a lot of pressure not to let people die..

I've had major neurosurgery twice in the last few years: once in the UK with a course of prophylactic antibiotics and once in France with no antibiotics at all. The standard practice in the French hospital I was treated in involved visibly stricter anti-infection measures compared to the UK (for instance you have to have an iodine shower before being admitted to the surgical ward and then you have to another one before going into theatre) and they then only issue post-operative antibiotics if you actually develop an infection, which I didn't. This would have been good practice everywhere I think, but unfortunately for the French actually bothering to have done it isn't worth anything in isolation. It is possible to survive major surgery without antibiotics though, although it would obviously severely impact survival rates. I suspect that many conditions which require major surgery are serious enough that the risks could well be worth it (I certainly would have considered them so in my case) and that it will in fact be the routine surgeries which people decide to forego en masse given the relative risks to benefits.

Btw on the subject of French medical practice they don't give you routine antibiotics or opiates after major surgery but they do give you a sedative to get you through the pre-operative fast, because pain is one thing but god forbid you should have to feel hungry! :o

To be fair (in my experience at least) it is much harder to get antibiotics in the UK than most other countries.

In fact, to the point that I usually pick up a few courses where I can to save faffing about with the doctors (plus cheaper to buy abroad which is a bonus).

mums take babe in at the slightest snuffle.

99% say they are amazed their dying child is by lunch time raring to go and a PITA..

And the doctor should say "It's a cold, nothing more, stop wasting my valuable time" (perhaps more diplomatically than that).

The GP usually has to persuade me to take antibiotics. Last time was an eye infection that wasn't going of its own accord - he reminded me that the eye is very close to the brain and perhaps it would be wise to ensure it didn't spread. I didn't have to think about it for long.

As if we didn't have a chronic ageing population crisis as it is. Most Third World countries will do okay and may in a sense even benefit from an easing of any overpopulation problem, while the senescent West will feel even more pressure particularly on their finances (the whole inter-generational imbalance and unfairness so often bewailed on this forum). Above all, a country like Japan could practically slide into a national emergency - it'll test their age-long anti-immigration culture to the very limit.

Theyre Japanese. They'll think of a 'Japanese' solution, probably lock themselves in airtight oxygen capsules from birth till death, like michael jackson apparently did at night.

To be fair (in my experience at least) it is much harder to get antibiotics in the UK than most other countries.

In fact, to the point that I usually pick up a few courses where I can to save faffing about with the doctors (plus cheaper to buy abroad which is a bonus).

IME French doctors are very quick to prescribe antibiotics. A lot of people view antibiotics as a miracle cure, and if the doctor has not prescribed antibiotics then clearly he's not taking the patient seriously. So they go and find another doctor, who's obviously more clued up because he prescribed antibiotics.

Don't laugh - my mother-in-law behaves exactly like this.

The resulting vicious circle is that, in order to not go bankrupt, doctors prescribe willy-nilly those magic pills...

IME French doctors are very quick to prescribe antibiotics. A lot of people view antibiotics as a miracle cure, and if the doctor has not prescribed antibiotics then clearly he's not taking the patient seriously. So they go and find another doctor, who's obviously more clued up because he prescribed antibiotics.

Don't laugh - my mother-in-law behaves exactly like this.

The resulting vicious circle is that, in order to not go bankrupt, doctors prescribe willy-nilly those magic pills...

Yep, French doctors usually prescribe Antibiotics willy-nilly. My child went to France on holiday. Left the uk with a minor cold and a slightly sore ear. Arrived in France and within 24 hours had antibiotics plus 3 other medicines! Staggering. If he had stayed in the uk he wouldn't have even seen a doctor.

Of course the ABs weren't finished (though he did take 7 days worth as instructed but there was still some left in the bottle - I think they do that in France for children - just in case the kid spits it out a few times I suppose).

Surely the GPs would prescribe a placebo when a dork comes in with a cold and demands antibiotics?

I understand antibiotics are given to cattle in the USA, as a preventative measure rather than to cure an existing infection.

God knows what that does to increase antibiotic resistance.

I understand antibiotics are given to cattle in the USA, as a preventative measure rather than to cure an existing infection.

God knows what that does to increase antibiotic resistance.

Probably quite a lot, especially as the same feedlots tend towards grain based diets that acidify the stomachs of cattle and allow bacteria native to the ruminant gut to adapt to more acid conditions and therefore increase their capability of surviving the (otherwise more acidic) human stomach. I would be surprised if this wasn't a major contributer to antibiotic resistant E. coli in particular.

No beef imports from the USA to Europe because of the hormone use.

British farmers are no stranger to antibiotics in feed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/death-wish-routine-use-of-vital-antibiotics-on-farms-threatens-human-health-2298761.html

I found a great butcher by my sons new place, thought I'd give it a try. Eye watering prices compared to supermarkets eg ribeye steak £28.10 per Kg but omg the taste!

Surely the GPs would prescribe a placebo when a dork comes in with a cold and demands antibiotics?

Or simply explain that they have no effect on a viral infection. No need to lie.

Or simply explain that they have no effect on a viral infection. No need to lie.

It's possible that a nasty viral infection may leave you open to a bacterial one! I hope they check for that before prescribing!

Never had that myself! Last time a had a "rotten flu", the doctor prescribed the best thing of all, a two week sick note!

You would think so, but placebos are so widely prescribed, placebo-resistant dorks are evolving.

Yep, French doctors usually prescribe Antibiotics willy-nilly. My child went to France on holiday. Left the uk with a minor cold and a slightly sore ear. Arrived in France and within 24 hours had antibiotics plus 3 other medicines! Staggering. If he had stayed in the uk he wouldn't have even seen a doctor.

Of course the ABs weren't finished (though he did take 7 days worth as instructed but there was still some left in the bottle - I think they do that in France for children - just in case the kid spits it out a few times I suppose).

I don't know if your experience is recent but there has been a big campaign by the health authorities over the last 5 years not to routinely issue antibiotics in France. Doctors also routinely use blood tests so can have a much better idea of what you are suffering from. Doctors will issue "placeabos" especially to the old who demand antibiotics all the time. It is now harder to shop around doctors, you should have a "family GP" to reclaim money from the social security. Again another idea adopted from the UK.

Currently French chemists cannot split bottles and packets of drugs down so you will usually end up with extras. This is in the process of changing to the "English model" as it has been referred to, chemists will issue just the required quantity of drugs.

Regarding surgery in France. Hospitals are much cleaner. I don't remember being given antibiotics or having "iodine showers" as mentioned by a previous poster.

I would almost certainly have been dead by now without antibiotics. Once due to blood poisoning due to X-Fix following surgery in the UK, once in France after being bitten by a filthy fly. In part the UK antibiotic resistance is not home grown but imported by immigrants bringing in antibiotic resistant disease variants due to poor practise in their own countries (could make a Daily Mail story).

I don't know if your experience is recent but there has been a big campaign by the health authorities over the last 5 years not to routinely issue antibiotics in France.

Last month.

Don't forget, there is an enormous chasm between what the French say they do and what they actually do.