House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the_dork

Coffee Substitutes-Any Recommendations?

Does anyone recommend anything? I’ve started having one to get through the work day, not because I particularly love the taste but because I flag in the afternoon and need a hit. However, I’m slowly building up tolerance which I’m wary of and would like to nip in the bud.

Does anyone take any other drinks, pills, foods that give the same mental sharpness?

Interesting thread this will be I’m sure!

Can’t help you on the coffee (or about what I’m about to blurt here TBH!) The other year, and this year I was wondering if there was any ‘long’ alcoholic drink alternative that’s perhaps less toxic than alcohol. A herb (I think) called kava (seemingly purchased as kava kava) appeared to appear prominently. Suffice to say it’s BANNED in the UK (no doubt too much in the coffers from booze tax) so I haven’t got any yet. Whether I actually ever will remains to be seen (even though it’s banned it’s pretty freely available on the net).

At the end of the day though it still results in a frazzled liver, so I’m not sure it’s that good a substitute!

Tea?

It has about a third of the caffeine of coffee so gives a gentle boost rather than a shove.

I drink about two teas to every one coffee, I find if I stick to coffee I alternate between buzzing and tired / needing the next one plus I get a slight stomach ache.

As above. The only caffeine I consume is when downing bombs at the weekend.

I'd be inclined to sort out the reason why you're flagging. Could be diet. A carb loaded lunch can have you flagging a few hours later, try a lower carb lunch for a week and see what happens.

There was a caffeine is evil thread recently and I remember reading a post elsewhere about someone claiming the benefits of high quality tea, better concentration etc.

****** knows if I can find/remember it though. Must be too much coffee.

Beer.

A most wonderful substitute! :blink::)

You can't beat Barley Cup.

Don't think it's a pick up but it's a decent alternative to coffee, imo.

If you flag after lunch I would think there is something wrong with you. Diet, exercise or whatever. Depends on the sleep you get and time up too of course.

Ask a colleague to punch you in the face.

That'll raise your adrenalin levels until home time