House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Subway Can Do One

I've always liked them, loads of fresh salad, lovely bread, great lunch.

They have just lost a customer for signing up to animal torture.

Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores after 'strong demand' from Muslims who can only eat halal meat
  • 185 branches across UK and Ireland now sell halal-only meat
  • Halal refers to objects or actions permissible under Islamic law
  • Pork is forbidden and while other meat can be eaten, it must be sourced, slaughtered and processed according to strict rules
  • Subway said all halal meat served in its branches has come from animals that were stunned before being slaughtered
  • Halal-only menu is in response to 'strong demand' from Muslim customers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2616576/Subway-removes-ham-pork-nearly-200-stores-strong-demand-Muslims-eat-Halal-meat.html

Fixed this bit:

Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores after 'strong demand' from Muslims people who can only choose to only eat halal meat.

I'm a vegetarian so I don't take that much notice, but I'd previously thought that I'd read that supermarkets were moving in this direction e.g. all meat is Halal. That may however be nonsense and would need some clarity.

The top search result is on the Daily Wail, if you can bear to look at that piece of crap.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1315278/Top-supermarkets-secretly-sell-halal-Sainsburys-Tesco-Waitrose-M-S-dont-tell-meat-ritually-slaughtered.html

Fixed this bit:

Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores after 'strong demand' from Muslims people who can only choose to only eat halal meat.

I'm a vegetarian so I don't take that much notice, but I'd previously thought that I'd read that supermarkets were moving in this direction e.g. all meat is Halal. That may however be nonsense and would need some clarity.

The top search result is on the Daily Wail, if you can bear to look at that piece of crap.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1315278/Top-supermarkets-secretly-sell-halal-Sainsburys-Tesco-Waitrose-M-S-dont-tell-meat-ritually-slaughtered.html

Whats even more shocking if that article is to be believed is that virtually all lamb in British Supermarkets is Halal

AIUI Subway is an exploitative franchise industry.

Therefore they never had me as a customer in the first place.

Quite

Re. the Halal thing, I'm pretty sure that most NZ produced lamb is Halal, and is stunned. it makes commercial sense, Muslims are pretty big lamb eaters and if you can stick to one method of slaughter, provided it's humane, it will simplify the supply and distribution chain.

Per the BBC (2012)...

But EU research from 2006 indicated that 75% of cattle, 93% of sheep and 100% of chickens slaughtered in the UK for halal meat were stunned prior to their deaths. Figures produced by the Food Standards Agency (FSA) in 2011 give a similar picture: 84%, 81% and 88%, respectively.

Meanwhile, Denmark and New Zealand have both legislated to ensure that all animals killed for halal meat are stunned first.

So, presumably, the apparent clash between halal requirements and recent Western sensibilities (I remember how my Catholic grandparents used to despatch animals and, oh my, it was shocking) is not insurmountable.

If it's the throat-slitting thing people have an issue with, rather than the stunning, that'd rule chicken right out, halal or otherwise. I believe most, if not all, are decapitated. I guess teeny weeny super-humane bolt guns would be a bit fiddly.

Quite

Re. the Halal thing, I'm pretty sure that most NZ produced lamb is Halal, and is stunned. it makes commercial sense, Muslims are pretty big lamb eaters and if you can stick to one method of slaughter, provided it's humane, it will simplify the supply and distribution chain.

Per the BBC (2012)...

So, presumably, the apparent clash between halal requirements and recent Western sensibilities (I remember how my Catholic grandparents used to despatch animals and, oh my, it was shocking) is not insurmountable.

If it's the throat-slitting thing people have an issue with, rather than the stunning, that'd rule chicken right out, halal or otherwise. I believe most, if not all, are decapitated. I guess teeny weeny super-humane bolt guns would be a bit fiddly.

However it also makes the jobs in that part of the food chain the sole preserve of Muslims

Quite

Per the BBC (2012)...

Captive bolt pistols are only used on large animals - cattle, horses, large sows.

I'm not clear on the issue, but isn't the potential 'problem' with halal meat that it might be sourced from animals that are NOT stunned prior to having their throats cut--and are therefore fully away at that point?

One of the bullets quoted in the OP says that Subway are sourcing halal meat from abattoirs that DO stun the animals before cutting their throats.

It sounds like someone needs to decide whether or not the stunning of the animals is okey-dokey under Islamic law.

However it also makes the jobs in that part of the food chain the sole preserve of Muslims

Fair point. There is potential for discrimination. Unfortunately, that's a line I rarely see discussed when this issue is raised.

edit: re. my crack about bolt guns, where I'm going with that is that, short of shagging them to death I'm not convinced there is a nice way to kill animals. The key element is the stunning. If that's done properly the actual method employed to take their lives isn't that big a deal afaic.

edit: re. my crack about bolt guns, where I'm going with that is that, short of shagging them to death I'm not convinced there is a nice way to kill animals. The key element is the stunning. If that's done properly the actual method employed to take their lives isn't that big a deal afaic.

Chickens and other poultry are normally stunned by electric shock prior to having their throats cut/head lopped off.

A nice® way to kill animals would be nitrogen asphyxiation. If I ever got diagnosed with some terrible diease, nitrogen asphyxiation would be my exit strategy.

I've been there twice. Each time I said, Never again.

So I'll probably pop back in ten years. If their property empire hasn't gone bust (I assume they use the MacDonalds model).

Had one once, well half a 'sub'.

Was okay, nothing special.

ION I'm after some saltpetre to make my own bacon for this bank holiday :)

Wow! Top comment on the wail story...

"Well that's me and Subway done, if I wanted halal I'd go to a Muslim country"

...has 16765 up votes!

Think this has touched a nerve.

I had a Subway ham salad last week!

I went to a Subway once.

It was about 4 years ago in Himmel Hempstead.

I ordered a foot long sub which appeared to be on offer for about £2.75

So i merrily went along the fillings bar saying yes to nearly everything, as i thought it was included,

and the nice chap was very keen to pile it on.

Got to the till and it was £6.50.And the garlic sauce was off as well.

Never again.

Well you won't find any bacon or ham at Subway after they have decided to ban it from 200 shops in the UK.

I think that this is going to be very destructive to their business model

Well you won't find any bacon or ham at Subway after they have decided to ban it from 200 shops in the UK.

Not sure about that! More hoo-har about it than the reality! They are a franchise, and sell what sells! Plenty of bacon here, but I can see it's not gonna be a hot seller in Stamford Hill, or Sparkbrook! :wacko:

I got a leaflet today about subway breakfasts, including a bacon sub....real bacon, from a pig

For some schools due to pressure that is the only meat they now provide for the school meals....too difficult to organise two different types of meat for the children, so now they all have to get the same....unless they take in their own sandwiches. ;)

I got a leaflet today about subway breakfasts, including a bacon sub....real bacon, from a pig

You must be on one of the three holy religious sites of bacon worship! Is it Wiltshire?