House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
juvenal

Anyone Left In Uk Who Doesn't Want To Get Into Btl?

Listening to a R4 prog right now with a guy bemoaning that his income precluded him getting legal aid to fight a case. The PTB had asked him to contribute a grand a month to his case.

"If I had that sort of money to spare I'd be buying a second property!" was his immediate response.

Is there anyone left in the UK who doesn't lust for more properties?

Is there anyone left in the UK who doesn't lust for more properties?

Not many.

They see how well property has done over 20-30 years and see how 'easy' it is to get other people (tenants) to buy it for them.

I know a couple of people who are starting to think about moving from flats to a house. The first thing they think about is how can I keep my flat AND buy the house they want.

Not many.

They see how well property has done over 20-30 years and see how 'easy' it is to get other people (tenants) to buy it for them.

I know a couple of people who are starting to think about moving from flats to a house. The first thing they think about is how can I keep my flat AND buy the house they want.

I know one couple who got into BTL off plan in Manchester in 2007...she's doing well now, they dont see each other, the bankruptcy was painful but they learnt their lesson.

The "move and don't sell" accidental/deliberate landlord creation at today's prices is going to cream plenty of people without wage and rent rises to make bubble equity monitisation pay. It is easily the riskiest strategy in the current market.

Edited by The Knimbies who say no

I doubt it. I probably could afford to get into BTL without the risk of bankruptcy. It's basically a tax payer supported investment now - if you pick the right place at the right price. The yields might be crap, but it's tangible and easily understandable. Even morons can get it the basics, and frequently do.

But after spending the first 40 years of my life renting, and the last 20 of those in insecure short term tenancies, I couldn't do it for ethical reasons. I have no wish to either exploit or lord it over my fellow man for something which should be easily affordable and a basic human right. Plus most landlords are vile people at heart. Even the good ones basically want to profit from often random good fortune (e.g. inheritance, being born at the right time) while putting little effort in. They bring little value to the world.