House Price Crash Forum

From the local news:

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/homeowners-in-four-areas-of-northampton-could-claim-back-1-500-each-1-6027351

"

Homeowners in four areas of Northampton could claim back £1,500 each"

"Homeowners in four areas of Northampton are being urged to check if they are elligible a stamp duty rebate for up to £1,500.

The rules affect up to 300,000 homeowners who bought a property in a ‘disadvantaged’ area over the past decade and could reclaim up to £1,500 in stamp duty.

The potential windfall has been uncovered by MoneySavingExpert.com but the deadline is May 5 and the consumer website is urging people to check if they are due a rebate."

We own houses interest only mortgages give us money !!!!

Is this something new? If so, I wonder whose idea it was and with what intent?

I think it must have been going for a while, MSE expert is pushing it. However, the deadline for it is the 5th May. :D

I think it must have been going for a while, MSE expert is pushing it. However, the deadline for it is the 5th May. :D

But what's the logic for it? It just seems like a really weird intervention.

Did you overpay and then have to claim it back? I'm a little puzzled why the solicitor you hired didn't spot the refund isn't this their job to ensure all taxes etc... are paid?

Edited by interestrateripoff

Did you overpay and then have to claim it back? I'm a little puzzled why the solicitor you hired didn't spot the refund isn't this their job to ensure all taxes etc... are paid?

Do you really think a lot of them care about anything other than their fee ?

From the local news:

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/homeowners-in-four-areas-of-northampton-could-claim-back-1-500-each-1-6027351

"

Homeowners in four areas of Northampton could claim back £1,500 each"

"Homeowners in four areas of Northampton are being urged to check if they are elligible a stamp duty rebate for up to £1,500.

The rules affect up to 300,000 homeowners who bought a property in a ‘disadvantaged’ area over the past decade and could reclaim up to £1,500 in stamp duty.

The potential windfall has been uncovered by MoneySavingExpert.com but the deadline is May 5 and the consumer website is urging people to check if they are due a rebate."

We own houses interest only mortgages give us money !!!!

the area is sooooo disadvantaged, that 30,000 homeowners bought and sold there every year...

I think you missed something.....

"Even landlords can claim."

This is strange....most landlords i've met are odd. :rolleyes:

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

I'm still struggling to understand what the point of this is - surely houses in disadvantaged areas are cheaper? Why do you need a rebate?

I'm still struggling to understand what the point of this is - surely houses in disadvantaged areas are cheaper? Why do you need a rebate?

Ask Gordon Brown, for it is he who legislated for it.

No, we never paid a penny because the area was and still is class as a deprived area

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/so/dar/dar-search.htm

Shove your postcode in the above link.

There's a list here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/so/dar/england.pdf

Edited by Wurzel Of Highbridge

Its been around for a decade or so, hasnt it?

Headline should really read "if you have a really shitty conveyancer who couldnt be arsed to look if your house is in a 'disadvantaged' area you probably paid stamp duty when you didnt need to"

It is easier from an admin point of view to pay it. Most solicitors would not be bothered about saving their clients money or checking things properly. They just want as many fees as possible for the least amount of work.