House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Sminty

Where To Invest £500

Okay I have saved up 500 quid to put into my mini share ISA I have the following options

ISA with following weight

Rolls Royce 16%

BT 16%

AVIVA 16%

Ishares FTSE100 ETF 16%

Workspace 32%

Cost 3000, value 3680 at present. So not doing too badly at the moment, will look to maybe take profit or just leave it until end of 2006

GBS- to gain a bit of exposure to GOLD, not overly keen on this from the point of view that Im basically going on the bullish opinion of others. Also Ill be getting in at a high. However will bring diversity to my portfolio and protect against inflation and devaluation of pound etc. and catastrophe

OIL - Oil securities shares, bit similiar to GBS(gold bullion securities) at a low 52 at the moment from a high of 60 odd. Again Im no expert in this area but could see Oil climbing again over the next year or two, but thats just a hunch. Also as its traded in $ I think I will be at risk with the £ devaluing in the shorter term

RHM - Makers of Hovis and other bits and bobs we all buy, IPO'd at 320 about 250-260 I think at the moment. A nice boring company with a yield of 6% similiar to my decisions for going for AVIVA and BT. Can see them as a long term gainer, dividend will pay back trading costs, will prob become more fashionable if the economy become a bit volatile as we all eat bread!

Ishares Japan - Dont pay any stamp duty on these bad boys and Japan seems to be on an up which should provide some steady returns over a year or two. Exposure to USA and dollar though could nip that in the bud? Thats if all the doomongers are right about global recessions!

I know 500 is not much but anyone like to shed some light on my thoughts and what you would do and anyone got any of the above. Plus explanation of exchnage rate risk of $ vs £ would be handy as Im not sure if trading in Oil $ but having to purchase in £ is too big a risk, or if I understand them

Thanks in advance

Okay I have saved up 500 quid to put into my mini share ISA I have the following options

ISA with following weight

Rolls Royce 16%

BT 16%

AVIVA 16%

Ishares FTSE100 ETF 16%

Workspace 32%

Cost 3000, value 3680 at present. So not doing too badly at the moment, will look to maybe take profit or just leave it until end of 2006

GBS- to gain a bit of exposure to GOLD, not overly keen on this from the point of view that Im basically going on the bullish opinion of others. Also Ill be getting in at a high. However will bring diversity to my portfolio and protect against inflation and devaluation of pound etc. and catastrophe

OIL - Oil securities shares, bit similiar to GBS(gold bullion securities) at a low 52 at the moment from a high of 60 odd. Again Im no expert in this area but could see Oil climbing again over the next year or two, but thats just a hunch. Also as its traded in $ I think I will be at risk with the £ devaluing in the shorter term

RHM - Makers of Hovis and other bits and bobs we all buy, IPO'd at 320 about 250-260 I think at the moment. A nice boring company with a yield of 6% similiar to my decisions for going for AVIVA and BT. Can see them as a long term gainer, dividend will pay back trading costs, will prob become more fashionable if the economy become a bit volatile as we all eat bread!

Ishares Japan - Dont pay any stamp duty on these bad boys and Japan seems to be on an up which should provide some steady returns over a year or two. Exposure to USA and dollar though could nip that in the bud? Thats if all the doomongers are right about global recessions!

I know 500 is not much but anyone like to shed some light on my thoughts and what you would do and anyone got any of the above. Plus explanation of exchnage rate risk of $ vs £ would be handy as Im not sure if trading in Oil $ but having to purchase in £ is too big a risk, or if I understand them

Thanks in advance

I got some IJPN already up 6% I would recomend you diversify into more geographical locations like you say your portfolio is weighted 100% UK and yeild curve forcasts storms. I was going to bang 3K into a mixture of FXC (china growth) IKOR korea p/e 10, IBZL monetry policy tighter than a ducks butt and good P/Es again.

but ive now whipped out that money which is now destined for tangible Silver.

you could back lyon, chelsea, juventus, bayern munich and barcelona to win £100 everytime they play at home to rubbish teams in bottom half of leagues. these are the 5 best teams in europe that very rarely lose or draw to lower placed teams.

shares offer a very poor return.

this weekend in 90 minutes of football you would have got what shares could take a year to do.

chelsea returned 20%

juventus return 24%

barcelona 38%

bayern munich 21%

lyon - played away

and that is a tax free weekly return.

record so far this season against all teams at home

chelsea 10 out of 10

lyon 7 out of 8

barcelona 6 out of 8

bayern munich 8 out of 8

juventus 8 out of 8

3 of these teams have a 100% record and all these teams haven't even lost at home, barcelona have drawn 2 and lyon drawn 1.

you lost 3 bets out of 42 and thats against all teams at home.

it works for me and is returning 100's % on original investment

good luck

you could back lyon, chelsea, juventus, bayern munich and barcelona to win £100 everytime they play at home to rubbish teams in bottom half of leagues. these are the 5 best teams in europe that very rarely lose or draw to lower placed teams.

shares offer a very poor return.

this weekend in 90 minutes of football you would have got what shares could take a year to do.

chelsea returned 20%

juventus return 24%

barcelona 38%

bayern munich 21%

lyon - played away

and that is a tax free weekly return.

record so far this season against all teams at home

chelsea 10 out of 10

lyon 7 out of 8

barcelona 6 out of 8

bayern munich 8 out of 8

juventus 8 out of 8

3 of these teams have a 100% record and all these teams haven't even lost at home, barcelona have drawn 2 and lyon drawn 1.

you lost 3 bets out of 42 and thats against all teams at home.

it works for me and is returning 100's % on original investment

good luck

Nice returns, but that can all go "pete tong" very very quickly. A couple of losses and your are gains are wiped out over night. Also the possiblities of draws are higher when teams play in other competitions mid week.

Just out of interest where do you place the bets.

Edited by zag2me

Nice returns, but that can all go "pete tong" very very quickly. A couple of losses and your are gains are wiped out over night. Also the possiblities of draws are higher when teams play in other competitions mid week.

Just out of interest where do you place the bets.

www.betfair.com

the beauty with betfair is that once the team go ahead you can sell the bet so its a free bet.

ie you back chelsea at 1.33 - they go 1 nil up and the price is now 1.05. i sell at 1.05 and have a free bet of 1.28.

never choose cup or midweek games, only weekend home against weaker league sides or crucial games at home.

for example man utd were 1.33 to beat everton. man u are playing bad, knocked out of europe and everton have won 4 out of last 5. this is a no bet situation and not worth the risk. the result was 1-1.

good luck

But the trick is to know whether 1.33 is a good price or not.

What about 1.2 or 1.1?

1.1 gives you a 10% return, but maybe there's a >10% chance that Chelsea don't win.

How do you calculate that? :) Nothing's a cert to make money.

I've made a bit on Betfair - some on the Ashes, some on Chico getting as far as he did and most on the FTSE intras. I like the feeling of being all green and I like laying at 1.01 and waiting for the nice surprise. But you do need to understand the market to see which way the price is likely to move to make a profit. Not the place to put the £500 you've carefully saved up.

It's always a good move on Betfair to click on the name in your selected market (whatever it is). That shows whether the price is coming in (in which case back-to-lay), moving out (in which case lay-to-back) or static (in which case leave it alone, unless you have a very strong view and some inside info).

It's just trading no matter what market you're looking at.

ie you back chelsea at 1.33 - they go 1 nil up and the price is now 1.05. i sell at 1.05 and have a free bet of 1.28.

IMHO you ought to sell back an amount to give you a locked in profit no matter what the result. Free bets don't always give profit

Edited by nobody

It's always a good move on Betfair to click on the name in your selected market (whatever it is). That shows whether the price is coming in (in which case back-to-lay), moving out (in which case lay-to-back) or static (in which case leave it alone, unless you have a very strong view and some inside info).

It's just trading no matter what market you're looking at.

IMHO you ought to sell back an amount to give you a locked in profit no matter what the result. Free bets don't always give profit

arbitrage is the terminology used for locking in profit and is an excellent advantage from the exchanges.

maybe a new post in the forum should be created for on-line betting exchanges and any tips and tricks that members here could share ?

at present i back top jockey & trainer combinations in-running and sell them off for an arbitrage. i make 10% a day on my original bank increasing the next days bank by 10%. it takes on average 1 - 2 hours a day depending on how many races there are.

150 + 10% = 165 Mon

165 + 10% = 181 Tue

181 + 10% = 200 Wed

200 + 10% = 220 Thu

220 + 10% = 244 Fri

244 + 10% = 268 Sat

268 + 10% = 295 Sun

In a week you have doubled your money and by the end of the month your 150 is worth just under 1200.

There is no way shares can compete with profit like this and its loads more fun watching sport than being involved in a stock exchange thats controlled by a bunch of mummy boy bankers. :lol:

Edited by debtfree

I usually check the market movers and drifters on oddschecker mid morning then wait for first show to decide if I'll get involved. Sometimes horses which have been backed significantly during the morning drift 2-3 points as soon as the on-course market opens.

Do you use any trading software to hook directly into Betfair, I'm playing with Autobet Pro at the moment.

I usually check the market movers and drifters on oddschecker mid morning then wait for first show to decide if I'll get involved. Sometimes horses which have been backed significantly during the morning drift 2-3 points as soon as the on-course market opens.

Do you use any trading software to hook directly into Betfair, I'm playing with Autobet Pro at the moment.

hi nobody

i dont use any software. just back the most inform trainer with inform jockey on and arb at lower price.

mostly go for a 50% arb on what i have laid out.

how do you find the software, is it any good ?

It's not bad, you can post both back and lay bets simultaneously and the tick offset between them is user selected. You can also set a stop-loss tick as insurance. It auto refreshes every 0.5sec and places the bets much faster than doing it manually which is a real bonus for backing in-running. So far I'm quite happy with it but only time will tell.