House Price Crash Forum

Windows X P - Final Version?

Ologhai Jones

HOLA441

I still have a PC that's running Windows XP. Now that support and patches for XP have ceased, I'm wondering what would happen if I were to need to reinstall the OS on that machine at some point.

I suppose there's a fair chance that even a year or two hence (and maybe longer than that), even though Microsoft won't be releasing any new updates, that it will continue to allow XP machines to update to the last XP updates that were produced. Any thoughts on this?

Alternatively (and perhaps ideally), I'd like to be able to get hold of a Windows XP Final Version CD that would simply install XP including the very last updates that were produced for it. Is there such a thing? (Or plans for such a thing, or a possibility of generating such a thing?)

Thanks for any thoughts.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Funny how a fatal IE flaw has been exposed soon after stopping support for XP.

http://home.bt.com/techgadgets/technews/warning-over-internet-explorer-flaw-11363897098049

Not really. These things are found all the time. Look at the amount of patches windows does.

Plus, there are probably a load of these things being saved up by various people for release when the patching stopped, knowing that they would be more effective then.

HOLA446

nLite will enable you to build a custom ISO disc image based on an XP CD, but adding all the service packs and patches you want. You'd need an XP SP3 CD, plus all the patches that would dowload if you did a fresh installation using it and then updated.

I believe that at the moment, XP will still update online up until the last patches. So to create a "final edition" image, you'd need to install an XP SP3 disc on a blank partition, then update it, and then copy all the patch installers (IIRC they're in C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution) into a separate folder. Then use nLite (or an equivalent program) to construct your "final edition" ISO image based on the Microsoft CD plus the patches.

HOLA447
HOLA448

All that having been said, if MS had any sense, they would create a "final edition" XP ISO and make it freely available to download. For those that have to continue running XP for whatever reason (e.g. hardware - incidentally, I've just taken a 2006 vintage film scanner to the thrift store because there is no driver that will make it work in Vista or later, or Ubuntu), the ability at least to create a system image that reflects the most complete version would at least prevent some stability and security issues.

Incidentally, what's the deal with the XP virtual machine that comes with 7 Ultimate? Is that still updating against new threats? I haven't got it installed on my 7 partition, or else I'd experiment and see.

HOLA449

All that having been said, if MS had any sense, they would create a "final edition" XP ISO and make it freely available to download. For those that have to continue running XP for whatever reason (e.g. hardware - incidentally, I've just taken a 2006 vintage film scanner to the thrift store because there is no driver that will make it work in Vista or later, or Ubuntu), the ability at least to create a system image that reflects the most complete version would at least prevent some stability and security issues.

Incidentally, what's the deal with the XP virtual machine that comes with 7 Ultimate? Is that still updating against new threats? I haven't got it installed on my 7 partition, or else I'd experiment and see.

No! It is literally an XP inside a virtual machine! It will not be patched!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Archived