House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Microsoft Warns Of Internet Explorer Flaw - The Xp Problem Starts Today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27184188

Microsoft has warned consumers that a vulnerability in its Internet Explorer browser could let hackers gain access and user rights to their computer.

The flaw affects Internet Explorer (IE) versions 6 to 11 and Microsoft said it was aware of "limited, targeted attacks" to exploit it.

According to NetMarket Share, the IE versions account for more than 50% of global browser market.

Microsoft says it is investigating the flaw and will take "appropriate" steps.

The firm, which issued a security advisory over the weekend, said the steps "may include providing a solution through our monthly security update release process, or an out-of-cycle security update, depending on customer needs".

XP impact

However, the issue may be of special concern to people still using the Windows XP operating system.

That is because Microsoft ended official support for that system earlier this month.

It means there will be no more official security updates and bug fixes for XP from the firm.

Cyber security firm Symantec said it had carried out tests which confirmed that "the vulnerability crashes Internet Explorer on Windows XP".

"This will be the first zero day vulnerability that will not be patched for Windows XP users," it added.

And so it begins only a few weeks in from no support and XP is already widely vulnerable to be hacked. As these flaws mount up it going to be interesting to see what the end response is if users don't move operating systems.

Read it as "If you continue to use XP, use Firefox"

of course, XP had the browser software embedded as part of the OS...you can use the other browser, but the system will still be using IE.

Personally, I wouldnt be, as a home user, worried.

Business users should ave upgraded long ago...but many havent as they have in house databases and other handy progrs that only work in xp.

of course, XP had the browser software embedded as part of the OS...you can use the other browser, but the system will still be using IE.

Personally, I wouldnt be, as a home user, worried.

Business users should ave upgraded long ago...but many havent as they have in house databases and other handy progrs that only work in xp.

There must be plenty of small business like one I know, whose PCs are about 3 or 4 years old and working fine, but were purchased with XP due to Vista incompatibilities and initial distrust of the then new Windows 7. Upgrading is relatively major hassle for them, given that it involves wiping each PC and reinstalling everything from scratch.

There must be plenty of small business like one I know, whose PCs are about 3 or 4 years old and working fine, but were purchased with XP due to Vista incompatibilities and initial distrust of the then new Windows 7. Upgrading is relatively major hassle for them, given that it involves wiping each PC and reinstalling everything from scratch.

there are upgrade versions of both.

however, I agree, vista was a piece of crap, and w7 had some major issues on its first release...specially, I recall, it wouldnt connect to hidden wireless networks without quite a pallaver, and sharing with xp networked units was a pain in the A.

there are upgrade versions of both.

however, I agree, vista was a piece of crap, and w7 had some major issues on its first release...specially, I recall, it wouldnt connect to hidden wireless networks without quite a pallaver, and sharing with xp networked units was a pain in the A.

As far as I can see, your can't upgrade directly from XP to Windows 7 or 8. If you know differently, I'd be grateful if you could post a link!

As far as I can see, your can't upgrade directly from XP to Windows 7 or 8. If you know differently, I'd be grateful if you could post a link!

I see....id forgotten that aspect...TBH, id encouraged users to do the fresh install anyway..the main objection was they had pirated copies of software and they wouldnt go over.

Saying that, in february I upgraded an old HP XP machine for use in a boardroom as a presentation machine.

I didnt realise till it was installed, the minimal packaged W7 Pro didnt overwrite the old files, and vestiges of office XP were still active. This was after a full format and fresh install...according to the install wizard...It needed another setup this time with care and manual choice of formatting..

Cant remember the procedure that led to the partial upgrade, it just happened using the defaults...might not work for your client though.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/01/uk-cybersecurity-microsoft-browser-idUKKBN0DH34720140501

Microsoft is helping the estimated hundreds of millions of customers still running Windows XP, which it stopped supporting earlier this month, by providing an emergency update to fix a critical bug in its Internet Explorer browser.

Microsoft Corp rushed to create the fix after learning of the bug in the operating system over the weekend when cybersecurity firm FireEye Inc warned that a sophisticated group of hackers had exploited the bug to launch attacks in a campaign dubbed “Operation Clandestine Fox.”

It was the first high-profile threat to emerge after Microsoft stopped providing support to its 13-year-old XP operating software on April 8.

Microsoft on Wednesday initially said it would not provide the remedy to Windows XP users because it had stopped supporting the product. But on Thursday, as Microsoft started releasing the fix for the bug through its automated Windows Update system, a company spokeswoman said the remedy also would be pushed out to XP customers.

“We decided to fix it, fix it fast, and fix it for all our customers," spokeswoman Adrienne Hall said on Microsoft's official blog.

And MS blinks first.

Considering the numbers of machines is MS going to continue to offer fixes for future flaws or will it offer a free OS? M$ appears to have the Sophies choice problem.