House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Bbc Misinformation.

I've just wasted half an hour finding the power consumption figures for my Samsung TV thanks to BBC News, because my dear wife refused to believe that they were talking absolute rubbish until I provided the Samsung data sheet as proof.

BBC News business presenter stated that a TV uses as much electricity in ten hours of standby as it does in seven hours of normal use.

The figures for my TV are....

On mode Power consumption (W) = 190W
Standby mode (W) = 0.3W

:rolleyes:

I think they may be getting confused with the old school CRT rather than the modern LED / LCD TV's. Some of the old CRT's did use quite a bit of electricity in standby.

http://www.economist.com/node/5571582

CTQ237.gif

I have seem some really high figures quoted for some TVs in the past, although modern era TV's have very minimal power consumption in standby.

Or maybe somreone misspoke/misheard, and they meant 7 minutes. That'd be the right order of magnitude.

Just rewound it to check and she was explaining kilowatt-hours.

A 40W bulb for 25 hours is 1 kWh of energy.

A 6 minute shower is 1 kWh of energy.

A fry-up for 4 is 1 kWh of energy.

Watching TV for 7 hours or leaving it on standby for 10 hours is 1 kWh of energy.

Just rewound it to check and she was explaining kilowatt hours.

A 40W bulb for 25 hours is 1 KW/hour of energy.

A 6 minute shower is 1 KW/hour of energy.

A fry-up for 4 is 1 KW/hour of energy.

Watching TV for 7 hours or leaving it on standby for 10 hours is 1 KW/hour of energy.

1,000 hours on standby would obviously be more like it.

That's kilowatt-hour (kWh) btw, not KW/hour :)

Compared to a computer monitor, the 190W is incredibly high while 0.3W is good. I'd be surprised if that standby state includes a remote control, or the ability to wake up on a signal from a remote.

Still, 10 hours seems like gibberish. Maybe 10 days on a remotely-wakeable standby?

Compared to a computer monitor, the 190W is incredibly high while 0.3W is good. I'd be surprised if that standby state includes a remote control, or the ability to wake up on a signal from a remote.

Still, 10 hours seems like gibberish. Maybe 10 days on a remotely-wakeable standby?

It's a 50" 3D Plasma so 190W is not too bad.

Obvious to you and I, but my wife lapped it up.

I really don't know what it is, but some sections of the 'green' community do seem obsessed with standby power consumption.

In the UK, for at least 9 months of the year, any waste heat will go into general space heating anyway, and in any case the total is pretty small. There are quite a few devices (Digiboxes and Broadband routers) which you really don't want to be powering off and on.

I leave my PC on almost all the time (I work at home). At night I do file downloads with the monitor off; in Winter it provides heat for the room.

Cycling anything electromechanical (such as HDDs, or even PCBs) on and off causes heat stress and increases the likelihood of failure, I generally find my PCs very reliable.