House Price Crash Forum
zugzwang

The Tory Jingo Press And Its Newfound Love For All Things European

One of the more amusing features of the media landscape this year has been the steady, drip-drip accumulation of pro-EU articles in the Tory press. Having had nothing good to say about Europe for 30yrs the uninformed reader might be forgiven for expecting a screed of anti-European vitriol from the Sun and Mail and Telegraph during these straitened times, especially as they've happened to coincide with the emergence of a grass roots political movement dedicated to disentangling the UK from the continent's embrace once and for all.

We know better, of course. What really exercises the Barclay brothers etc isn't the prospect of militant French air traffic controllers or metric bananas but the idea that their most cherished hpi instrument - mass stealth immigration - might be taken away from them. No longer would they be able to depend on a biddable and undemanding surplus of rent providers to service their insanely expensive BTL mortgages. Faced with a choice between self-determination and rentierism, the Tory press has cast aside the few principles it ever had and chosen the latter.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2613565/Polish-invasion-thats-SAVED-home-town-An-influx-25-000-Poles-left-Southamptons-schools-bursting-locals-feeling-pushed-But-BARBARA-DAVIES-grew-theres-story.html

Polish invasion that's SAVED my home town: An influx of 25,000 Poles has left Southampton's schools full to bursting - with some locals feeling pushed out. But BARBARA DAVIES, who grew up there, found there's another side to the story
  • One in ten of those living in Southampton thought to be Polish
  • Some argue the city's services are now overcrowded following influx
  • But many have started up thriving businesses, boosting town's economy
  • Here, Barbara Davies rediscovers the city - which is home to 25,000 Poles

By Barbara Davies

Published: 23:29, 25 April 2014 | Updated: 00:24, 26 April 2014

It feels like make or break time for Cameron in particular. If UKIP easily eclipse the Tories next month Dave's administration will be all but finished in my view, If the PM really wrankles his backbenchers as much as we're led to believe, the briefing and infighting should be incessant as MPs without the luxury of a comfortable majority (not sure what figure that might be- 4,000?) try to salvage their local polling ahead of 2015.

Edited by The Knimbies who say no

‘We are now full, and cannot cope with any more car washers and painters and decorators. Public services are buckling under the strain. There are stresses on the sewage and waste system, and the hospitals and schools, and we have a problem with multi-occupancy houses.

The politicians never mention the extra congestion except when wanting some congestion tax.

Shouldn't Help to Buy be helping to build more houses and flats. That was the Coalition claim.

Apparently there are about 25,000 Polish people there (and according to the article 1000 extra babies a year) so they need something like another 12,000 houses in Southampton just to start with depending how many are married or single.

Edited by billybong

The population of Sothampton is about 250,000 so it's increased by more than 10% recently just because of the settlers alone.

Apparently there are about 5 hospitals in Southampton so they need another new hospital, more schools, extra sewage works and of course houses etc etc. That'll apply for each town and city across most of the UK now so who is going to pay for it all - the eu, the bankers?

Edited by billybong

Is it really true that Nigel Farage is in reality the son of Satan the Antichrist?

Not yet- but it will be. ;)

Smearing Farage won't work because it's not the man himself that people are responding to- it's the message he delivers. He's worked out that for a lot of people in the UK the Pro EU neo liberal globalist agenda has nothing good to offer- just a slow grind into poverty.

maybe if they tried dealing with the issues instead of trying to take out Farage himself they might get somewhere.

Is it really true that Nigel Farage is in reality the son of Satan the Antichrist?

Yes. I've met him, and he laughed at all my jokes. RugbyRugbyRugby. Then he laughed at whatever else I had to say. We drank a lot and kept laughing at nothing.

Nigel Farage. HaHaHa.

Yes. I've met him, and he laughed at all my jokes. RugbyRugbyRugby. Then he laughed at whatever else I had to say. We drank a lot and kept laughing at nothing.

Nigel Farage. HaHaHa.

Cameron made the same mistake of assuming that Farage was an idiot- he's not. I think he's one of the smartest minds in british politics- he's pressing buttons that the others did not even know existed until pressed them, which is why you now see the desperate scramble as they struggle to work out what just happened.

I don't like Farage- I think he's dangerous-but he is not a fool.

Cameron made the same mistake of assuming that Farage was an idiot- he's not. I think he's one of the smartest minds in british politics- he's pressing buttons that the others did not even know existed until pressed them, which is why you now see the desperate scramble as they struggle to work out what just happened.

I don't like Farage- I think he's dangerous-but he is not a fool.

Yes Farage is the nearest we have got to an Alex Salmond and he runs runs rings around the PPE educated professional political class.

Not that I like Farage or his party.

Edited by aSecureTenant

I was working on building sites in Soton in 2001, a couple of Poles that were on the same contract/pay as me brought a load of their mates in and they were subcontracting the work to them thus paying them even lower wages then was standard. Within 6 months the building site was over run with them ... it was at this time i realised its time to leave the building game.

These Poles werent needed as there were plenty of qualified Brits already there which is hardly good for the locals, id imagine 13 years on instead of young local lads getting apprenticeships these jobs will be shared around the kids of Poles. Ideal for creating an underclass of Brits.

I was working on building sites in Soton in 2001, a couple of Poles that were on the same contract/pay as me brought a load of their mates in and they were subcontracting the work to them thus paying them even lower wages then was standard. Within 6 months the building site was over run with them ... it was at this time i realised its time to leave the building game.

These Poles werent needed as there were plenty of qualified Brits already there which is hardly good for the locals, id imagine 13 years on instead of young local lads getting apprenticeships these jobs will be shared around the kids of Poles. Ideal for creating an underclass of Brits.

2001 was before Poland became part of the EU. Immigration into the UK happens and will continue to happen whether the UK is part of the EU or not. Your argument could be applied to any group of people who have come to the UK over the past 500 years. You might even be a descendant of one of them.

Edited by campervanman

2001 was before Poland became part of the EU. Immigration into the UK happens and will continue to happen whether the UK is part of the EU or not. Your argument could be applied to any group of people who have come to the UK over the past 500 years. You might even be a descendant of one of them.

They came in and worked as self employed. It was 2001 as i tell you. I know Bulgarians who have been here working the same way in vast numbers for well over a decade.

The EU was supposed to be a trading zone on goods, we were never asked whether it was acceptable to import millions of workers to undercut the British working class. Clearly your breed think this acceptable.

We have never had immigration on this scale in such a short period, more people came to the UK under Labour then throughout the entire history of Britain.

Your argument about descendants is the most idiotic out there.

Edit - I am all for immigration of skilled workers and wealthy business creators, we have no need for millions of un/semi skilled Europeans/Africans or Asians. I myself work overseas as a skilled worker on temporary visas and when the work is over i leave the country. Such basic common sense i beyond a lot of people.

Edited by Corruption

The population of Sothampton is about 250,000 so it's increased by more than 10% recently just because of the settlers alone.

Apparently there are about 5 hospitals in Southampton so they need another new hospital, more schools, extra sewage works and of course houses etc etc. That'll apply for each town and city across most of the UK now so who is going to pay for it all - the eu, the bankers?

PFI will pay for it. Last time I checked Barclays are one of the major PFI investors, so I just expect more of the same.

That 25,000 figure can't be right either. I live near Southampton and remember the soton local rag saying they had 25,000 poles in 2005. That's just poles too, no mention of the other eastern bloc countries. Landlords paradise.

There are 2 million Brits living in other European countries. If they lived in the UK they would be occupying houses.

That's ok, we can easily offset that against the 10 million immigrants here.

Immigration = good/bad isn't black and white (excuse the pun) Why can't we just have some control so that communities and whole sectors of work can have chance to adapt?

More Polish MPs living 8 to a house please.

They came in and worked as self employed. It was 2001 as i tell you. I know Bulgarians who have been here working the same way in vast numbers for well over a decade.

The EU was supposed to be a trading zone on goods, we were never asked whether it was acceptable to import millions of workers to undercut the British working class. Clearly your breed think this acceptable.

We have never had immigration on this scale in such a short period, more people came to the UK under Labour then throughout the entire history of Britain.

Your argument about descendants is the most idiotic out there.

Edit - I am all for immigration of skilled workers and wealthy business creators, we have no need for millions of un/semi skilled Europeans/Africans or Asians. I myself work overseas as a skilled worker on temporary visas and when the work is over i leave the country. Such basic common sense i beyond a lot of people.

If Poles and Bulgarians came as self employed before Poland and Bulgaria were part of the EU then what has your experience of them working in 2001 got to do with the EU?

As for there being no apprenticeships in Southampton in the construction industry, you obviously couldn't be bothered to spend 5 minutes doing what I did:

http://www.carillionplc.com/construction-apprenticeships/apply-now-for-apprenticeships-in-southampton-with-carillion.aspx#.U1zJMotBs1g

http://www.southampton-city.ac.uk/Apprentice/default.asp?id=342

Face it you are a little Englander and no different than people who in the 1970's wanted to protect the UK car industry from foreign competition. If Brits are good enough they will get the jobs. If they are not then employers will choose someone else, just as people chose foreign cars in the 1970's.

That's ok, we can easily offset that against the 10 million immigrants here.

Immigration = good/bad isn't black and white (excuse the pun) Why can't we just have some control so that communities and whole sectors of work can have chance to adapt?

More Polish MPs living 8 to a house please.

What I want to know is whatever happened to the 29(or is it 28) million Romanians and Bulgarians who were about to invade? 2004 was a one off because at the time the UK was seen as the EU version of the USA, now it is seen as the EU version of Mexico.

If Poles and Bulgarians came as self employed before Poland and Bulgaria were part of the EU then what has your experience of them working in 2001 got to do with the EU?

As for there being no apprenticeships in Southampton in the construction industry, you obviously couldn't be bothered to spend 5 minutes doing what I did:

http://www.carillionplc.com/construction-apprenticeships/apply-now-for-apprenticeships-in-southampton-with-carillion.aspx#.U1zJMotBs1g

Face it you are a little Englander and no different than people who in the 1970's wanted to protect the UK car industry from foreign competition. If Brits are good enough they will get the jobs. If they are not then employers will choose someone else, just as people chose foreign cars in the 1970's.

Oh i was waiting for the Little Englander line.

If being a little Englander means wanting to protect my job from people who come from nation where the average wage is a fraction of my own thus meaning i will be undercut and lose my job then i am delighted for you to call me this.

Being good enough means being a cheap as possible. Lets face it you were brought up in some middle class enclave and havent really got clue.

They were part of the EU trading zone, they were using a loophole to take British jobs.

When did your time imagination come up with the line that i said there was no apprenticeships in Soton.

As E Europeans now have taken over the building game in Soton due to being able to undercut the indigenous workers, the Polish fathers will be getting their children the jobs that once would have been passed down to the working class kids of Soton.

Now i know you will need a link for this as logical thinking is beyond you, but nepotism exists in life and even amongst the British working class.

If being a little Englander means wanting to protect my job from people who come from nation where the average wage is a fraction of my own thus meaning i will be undercut and lose my job then i am delighted for you to call me this.

So following that line you would put up import tariffs to protect British workers from foreign imports too as foreign goods that are cheaper will no doubt be using cheaper foreign labour? Like UKIP you are living in a bygone age and still have an illusion that the UK can be the country it was when it had an Emprire.

What I want to know is whatever happened to the 29(or is it 28) million Romanians and Bulgarians who were about to invade? 2004 was a one off because at the time the UK was seen as the EU version of the USA, now it is seen as the EU version of Mexico.

As i told you before they have been coming in for years and working as "self employed".

And its only you who claims 28 or 29 million were about to invade.

No one (not even UKIP) expected an entire country to suddenly appear on the doorstep, but I await the next figures with interest. I walked down Harrow high street the other day and it is utterly unrecognisable with large groups of people unable or unwilling to mix. They are here. In what numbers I don't know - it isn't 28 million but it isn't half a dozen either.

So following that line you would put up import tariffs to protect British workers from foreign imports too as foreign goods that are cheaper will no doubt be using cheaper foreign labour? Like UKIP you are living in a bygone age and still have an illusion that the UK can be the country it was when it had an Emprire.

I was born in the 70s i could not care less about the empire and nor could my parents or Grandparents ... its only nutjobs from the loony left who try to make out people who are against the EU superstate want to bring back the Empire.

The fact i am from a working class background i can assure you my family would have been p7ss poor and would not have benefited from the Empire ... you need educating on the lives of British poor during what you believe was a Utopian time for them during the peak of Empire. If anything the best time for the working class was after WW2 when the empire was finished.

And again you are making up deluded nonsense in your twisted mind, where have i said i want to bring in any kind of tariff?

I will spell it out in simple terms and i will make it as basic as possible for you not to get confused.

1 I would like Britain to have free trade with any nation that reciprocates, that is any nation even ones with Polish, Africans and Asians in it just to show you trade is what matters and so people like you cant cry waycist or little Englander.

2. To have controlled immigration where spouses of British nationals get citizenship, Skilled workers of which cannot be found in Britain, and the wealthy who wish to invest in Britain. THESE ARE WHAT PRETTY MUCH EVERY NATION ON PLANET EARTH DOES EXCEPT THE EU!

Its not a difficult concept if you read it several times you may well grasp it.

Edited by Corruption

Yes Farage is the nearest we have got to an Alex Salmond and he runs runs rings around the PPE educated professional political class.

Sweats a lot though doesn't he. Not sure anyone really trusts sweaty folk.

As i told you before they have been coming in for years and working as "self employed".

And its only you who claims 28 or 29 million were about to invade.

Sorry that was the old figure. Farage now thinks it is 26 million:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/andrewlilico/100027074/ukip-posters-yes-26-million-people-are-after-your-job-thats-a-good-thing/

If you are a UK worker in a sector that, absent EU competition, would be cosseted with inefficiently high prices, profits and salaries, then facing that competition from EU workers won't be such a good thing. It will mean your salary falling. Competition, international trade, and the free movement of persons are the enemies of vested interests, monopoly power and inefficiency. So if that's you, those Ukip posters may well appeal.

A bit like the UK car industry in the 1970's then. Protect British workers from competition and pay more for worse.

PFI will pay for it. Last time I checked Barclays are one of the major PFI investors, so I just expect more of the same.

That 25,000 figure can't be right either. I live near Southampton and remember the soton local rag saying they had 25,000 poles in 2005. That's just poles too, no mention of the other eastern bloc countries. Landlords paradise.

So ultimately it's the UK taxpayer but in an indirect way but the UK taxpayer isn't the main beneficiary if it's a beneficiary at all. It's not as if the UK taxpayer is even benefiting from the new influx by the UK being economically rebalanced leading to more exports etc. In some ways it's making the UK more uncompetitive due to where the new labour is being used plus things like lost opportunity costs.

The main beneficiaries are the corporates (including the banks) through things like cheaper labour and the eu itself through its notions of a successful bloc bragging about things like mobility of labour under its auspices and they should be paying for the costs of extra hospitals, schools, sewage works, houses, infrastructure, energy supplies, road, rail and other infrastructure, reservoirs etc etc instead of it being on the UK taxpayers card.

Edited by billybong