House Price Crash Forum

No Link Between Diet And Cancer

dinker

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Laying off processed crap in addition to alocohol and "soft" drinks is just common sense, but I'm sure the relative lack of diagnosed cancer in the past had nothing at all to do with sky high infant mortality nor elevated chances of starvation, thirst, bacterial infection, viral infection, and fatal injury. And fatal cancers in the digestion system remaining undetected (and mistaken for another ailment).

HOLA446

Exactly. And you paleo-dieters. How do you know cave men didn't get cancer?

That evening at a reception hosted by the M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, guests partook of a sumptuous buffet that included, among other fare, thick slabs of roast beef, a variety of rich cheeses and generous servings of wine. Afterward came the cancer research association’s grand celebration known for its dessert buffet.

Paleo food, funnily enough.

HOLA447

Yawn.....

Being fat (as opposed to eating fat), Dr. Willett proposed, may now be causing more fatal cancers than cigarettes.

Really it doesn't make a whole load of difference then does it? If fatty foods make you fat, then that body fat can cause fatal cancers. It's a pedantic word game for a scientist. So for the layman, eat trashy food to excess and you'll increase your chance of cancer. Eat more vegetables and you'll improve your health, because it's highly likely you'll avoid being obese.

The danger is an idiot could read this article and surmise McDonalds for breakfast and KFC for dinner every day is now OK.

It isn't.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

In an thread I started about certain subsections of the Babyboomers seemingly dying younger than their parents, another poster mentioned that in the area he/she lived in where there was a pretty high life expectancy and overall decent quality of life, with many people living fairly sensibly, cancer still ended up killing half or most people who died prematurely from the age of 35 to 75.

HOLA4413

A great many of us (and I include myself in that number) probably wouldn't have made it out of childhood in previous centuries. Forty was considered old for much of humanity's existence, but there were always a few outliers who somehow made it to their 90s.

Now dying in your forties seems absolutely shocking to most of us (not least if you've just turned forty). Death is no longer a normal part of everyday experience. I'm in my early 40s, and I can count the number of funerals I've been to on one hand. But they've been evenly split across the ages (from a deeply tragic 15 to a wholly expected 90).

More of us are living longer, but none have managed to cheat death completely. It can still come at anytime even if the genetic and lifestyle odds are in your favour.

Equally, there is a whole lot of new crap that we're exposed to which is utterly novel compared to the past. We simply don't know the long term effects of these new and sometimes bioaccumulating chemicals that are both in our food chain and our bodies. Providing we remain relatively fat, perhaps nothing at all.

I'm struck by the memory of an observation of research chemist I knew a couple of decades ago. Nearly all of his friends in the field were dying of rare cancers before their retirement age - and he was terribly keen to retire early as a result! It was also a strong motivator for me to get out of that work environment, but I doubt it made even a tiny difference to the population's life expectancy.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I suspect the so-called paleo diet isn't all that primitive man ate. I have a hunch there was a bit more to it. Where did the practice of marinating your tough meat in strong-smelling herbs and spices come from?

Perhaps primitive man, after the hunt, put down the steaks (having eaten the more perishable organs) and layered them with herbs; which we now know to have powerful antibiotic properties, like oregano. That way, bacterial breakdown might be slowed for a few days, until he got around to finishing them off. Of course, any surface contamination on the meat would also be killed. Tenderised, and more tasty, a win-win.

And that is why humans go out of their way to find these strong smelling herbs and hot tasting spices like chili (kills salmonella). Partly to keep the food safe, and partly to disguise the smell of decay.

And now we have scientific evidence that some of these same spices and herbs have anti-tumour effects.

"How Many Ways Can Curry Kill Tumor Cells Selectively?"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2758121/

HOLA4416

That was written by Indians, promoting curry! :huh:

I'm sure curry is a good thing, and is better for you than pop-tarts, and cola!

HOLA4417

A great many of us (and I include myself in that number) probably wouldn't have made it out of childhood in previous centuries. Forty was considered old for much of humanity's existence, but there were always a few outliers who somehow made it to their 90s.

You have to think in cohorts.

500 years ago life expectancy at birth may have been 40, but at age 20 it was over 70 - and not just among the wealthy.

Reduction of infant mortality covers most of the recent increase. Then antibiotics. The remainder is probably not worth the cost.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

That was written by Indians, promoting curry! :huh:

I'm sure curry is a good thing, and is better for you than pop-tarts, and cola!

They were quite possibly trying to boost their product, or get research into it, but the paper below wasn't written by Indians. Unversity of Vermont. There are loads of others in a similar vein, and not just about curcumin, but other phytochemicals. Problem is, no-one can patent these if they appear in any traditional medicine or food, although there have been attempts. Without a profit path, they all fall on stony ground....

So for your taster,

Curcumin: a double hit on malignant mesothelioma.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24431405

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

That evening at a reception hosted by the M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, guests partook of a sumptuous buffet that included, among other fare, thick slabs of roast beef, a variety of rich cheeses and generous servings of wine. Afterward came the cancer research associations grand celebration known for its dessert buffet.

Paleo food, funnily enough.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Precisely. Sounds a bit like Porterhouse Blue to me. :rolleyes:

Extremely funny! A load of professors stuffed on champagne, quail, and caviar, advising other people about diet! All for "charity" no doubt? :blink:

I'd love to hear their advice on celibacy! :huh:

HOLA4425

Extremely funny! A load of professors stuffed on champagne, quail, and caviar, advising other people about diet! All for "charity" no doubt? :blink:

I'd love to hear their advice on celibacy! :huh:

Healthy diet ≠ weight loss

Archived