House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stressed-Out

Bs10

I have a friend renting in the Henleaze area of Bristol at the moment, but who is under pressure to buy a 2/3-bed semi (usual story: wife going on about owning a place so they can have kids etc.).

I am doing all I can to persuade them to wait another year or so, just to see what happens to the market, but they're keen to bite the bullet.

I'd be grateful of any info from you informed people that I could use to back up my argument. I know nothing about the Bristol market, but imagine it's as doomed as everywhere else at the moment.

Any thoughts?

I have a friend renting in the Henleaze area of Bristol at the moment, but who is under pressure to buy a 2/3-bed semi (usual story: wife going on about owning a place so they can have kids etc.).

I am doing all I can to persuade them to wait another year or so, just to see what happens to the market, but they're keen to bite the bullet.

I'd be grateful of any info from you informed people that I could use to back up my argument. I know nothing about the Bristol market, but imagine it's as doomed as everywhere else at the moment.

Any thoughts?

The bristol property market is flat at the moment, same old overpriced stuff on rightmove, some of it has been on for over a year!!, if he is going to have kids and stay put for 5-10 years there is no problem buying in henleaze, I would advise to offer about 30% below asking and stop raising your bid @ 15-20% below, if they won't take it , walk away and look at any of the other 100's of empty properties in bristol, watching rightmove for a few months to see what is sticking and reducing would be the best idea, that way you can home in on the desparate to sell.

ril.

The bristol property market is flat at the moment, same old overpriced stuff on rightmove, some of it has been on for over a year!!, if he is going to have kids and stay put for 5-10 years there is no problem buying in henleaze, I would advise to offer about 30% below asking and stop raising your bid @ 15-20% below, if they won't take it , walk away and look at any of the other 100's of empty properties in bristol, watching rightmove for a few months to see what is sticking and reducing would be the best idea, that way you can home in on the desparate to sell.

ril.

Thanks for the tip, ril, I had a feeling the market would be slow round there as well. Nothing's been selling here in Kent for a good six months or so, despite substantial drops in asking prices.

I guess, as far as my friend's concerned, it just goes back to the old question: is it better to negotiate a 'deal' now, or wait for another year or so to see if the market tanks completely...

Personally, I'm hoping for the latter, but I feel I've already saved myself a packet just by waiting this last year alone.