House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Caius

Recognition At Last That Cornwall Is Not England

Cornish people will be granted minority status under European rules, giving the same protection that other Celtic communities the Scots, Welsh and Irish enjoy.

Loveday Jenkin, the deputy leader of Cornish party Mebyon Kernow, told the BBC Today programme that the rest of the United Kingdom needed to recognise that Cornwall was not just another county of England.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27138420

Kernow Bys Vyken!

Think about all those QUANGO six figure salary jobs that Cornish speakers can now take once the tax-payer grants start flowing in.

Next it will be road signs in Cornish and then demands for a Cornish language TV station. Naturally only Cornish speakers will be employed and the average salary will be somewhere north of 50K with many on over 100K per year. Before you know it there will be calls for BBC Cornwall to be only Cornish speaking and, naturally, BBC Cornwall will begin to employ mostly Cornish speakers?

Then, slowly, the English-speaking Cornish will start to find it difficult to get the middle and senior management jobs in the local councils or schools or other public sector bodies - the excuse given will be that they need bi-lingual English and Cornish speakers.... which actually means that they only employ Cornish speakers...

The local Council employees will be told to answer the phones in Cornish even though 99% of them only speak English.

When you walk into a Council office the employee will great you in Cornish and if, by chance, you do speak Cornish back to him/her they will look blankly at you as the only Cornish they know will be the Cornish they have been forced to learn to greet you with - Cornish language supporters will then use things like this to state that the majority of people speak Cornish when, in reality, people only know how to say "Good morning.".

After that they will begin schools where children are taught in Cornish only - and they will give much bigger grants to those schools than to schools that teach in English. Naturally, teachers in such Cornish speaking schools will have to be paid more.

Then, when no one is looking, all children will be forced to learn in Cornish whether they actually speak it or not. The trendies will argue that it is vital to the importance of the culture and language... and no one will dare say anything when the education standards fall through the floor.

Children who speak English in school will be punished or ridiculed... or both... The local media will not report it as the local media, by then, will be full of pro-Cornish speakers.

The minority of Cornish speaking children will flourish - and have great incredibly well paying jobs ready for them in all of the above organisations - but the majority of children who speak no Cornish will be ignored and left on the educational and economic scrap-heap.

Nut-jobs from London - who have never been to Cornwall before their lives - will move to Cornwall and become the most vocal and vicious supporters of the Cornish lanugage.

No?

lol.

The only genetic tests I've seen on the matter state that Cornwall are firmly of mixed Anglo stock... the same as everywhere else in England...and even lowland Scots are the same (i.e. the vast majority of Scots).

The EU plotting to split up the awkward UK.

Which one next? Cumbria is 'welsh' too I believe. Hence 'cwm' like Cymru for Wales.

Or perhaps let us please have the Viking Northumbria back with the capital centred on York. I actually dwell in the ancient Wapentake of Skyrack...really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyrack

That's a rather paranoid anti-European view. You are correct though to point out that there are remnants of the 'Welsh' languge to be found in many parts of England since it was (or at least it's precursor Brythonic) spoken from the Clyde to Cornwall pre-Saxon invasion. I don't know about your genetic tests but I've seen the opposite said; that the Cornish are different. I take it you're not talking about the good-lifers and white flighers who have escaped to Cornwall? But undoubtedly, Cornwall was until relatively recently where a language existed which was totally distinct from the the Germanic/French ie English language. And you only have to look at the place names and many of the people's sir-names to apprecaite that this is not England.

Think about all those QUANGO six figure salary jobs that Cornish speakers can now take once the tax-payer grants start flowing in.

Next it will be road signs in Cornish and then demands for a Cornish language TV station. Naturally only Cornish speakers will be employed and the average salary will be somewhere north of 50K with many on over 100K per year. Before you know it there will be calls for BBC Cornwall to be only Cornish speaking and, naturally, BBC Cornwall will begin to employ mostly Cornish speakers?

Then, slowly, the English-speaking Cornish will start to find it difficult to get the middle and senior management jobs in the local councils or schools or other public sector bodies - the excuse given will be that they need bi-lingual English and Cornish speakers.... which actually means that they only employ Cornish speakers...

The local Council employees will be told to answer the phones in Cornish even though 99% of them only speak English.

When you walk into a Council office the employee will great you in Cornish and if, by chance, you do speak Cornish back to him/her they will look blankly at you as the only Cornish they know will be the Cornish they have been forced to learn to greet you with - Cornish language supporters will then use things like this to state that the majority of people speak Cornish when, in reality, people only know how to say "Good morning.".

After that they will begin schools where children are taught in Cornish only - and they will give much bigger grants to those schools than to schools that teach in English. Naturally, teachers in such Cornish speaking schools will have to be paid more.

Then, when no one is looking, all children will be forced to learn in Cornish whether they actually speak it or not. The trendies will argue that it is vital to the importance of the culture and language... and no one will dare say anything when the education standards fall through the floor.

Children who speak English in school will be punished or ridiculed... or both... The local media will not report it as the local media, by then, will be full of pro-Cornish speakers.

The minority of Cornish speaking children will flourish - and have great incredibly well paying jobs ready for them in all of the above organisations - but the majority of children who speak no Cornish will be ignored and left on the educational and economic scrap-heap.

Nut-jobs from London - who have never been to Cornwall before their lives - will move to Cornwall and become the most vocal and vicious supporters of the Cornish lanugage.

No?

That is absolutely brilliant TMT. I think that should be a template for the Wales of the future. Good thinking that man!

No?

Seems the way it goes. Liebour are currently trying to get locals to represent minority areas of the country (apparently you need to be the same demographic as the electorate to represent them)

Meanwhile they parachute in the spawn of the warmonger Bliar to represent Liverpool, a city I doubt he's ever been to.

That is absolutely brilliant TMT. I think that should be a template for the Wales of the future. Good thinking that man!

It would be a type of apartheid in Cornwall - just like the apartheid that now exists in Wales.

Meanwhile they parachute in the spawn of the warmonger Bliar to represent Liverpool, a city I doubt he's ever been to.

Aberavon is getting the son of Kinnock - and husband of the Danish PM.

Heck, Swansea West got a former Croydon MP at the last election when the Swansea boy of 20 odd years finally took his pension.

It is strange your view. Whilst I want to see much greater devolution for governance reasons, you are firmly in the 'racism' and 'culturalism' camp.

Even if they could discern a Cornishman from Englishmen, the differences are so small, it seems peurile to emphasise the differences.

And should people who have indistinguishable genetic footprints not have the same level of devolution and democratic powers as others? If not, why not if that is the ideal form of administration...governance at the correct levels.

And how are we to treat people more recently from overseas who dwell in Cornwall?

Your arguments are always so distasteful to me.

You wwere the one to mention genetics in the first place. I don't think it's important. But differences to exist. Why should we be scared of them? I think variety should be celebrated. With regards to devolution, I would imagine you need some basis to devolve power; a different languge/culture or whatever. They tried to devolve to the north-east of England and had a referendum which was rejected. And this ws an area of England with a very strong regional sense of identity.

Did I say anything about treating people differently if they come from overseas?

Likewise, your arguments are distastasteful to me too.

Aberavon is getting the son of Kinnock - and husband of the Danish PM.

Heck, Swansea West got a former Croydon MP at the last election when the Swansea boy of 20 odd years finally took his pension.

Your arguments are all over the place TMT. You will find that the power in Wales lies with the Labour party; a party which has been and continutes to be the most unionist and historically anti-Welsh. Kinnock senior and his wife were prime examples. Close to Aberafon you will find Peter Hain another parachuted in golden boy to a safe seat. Then you have Chris Bryan ffs in the Rhondda of all places. Once proud places reduced to being looked upon and used as Labour voting fodder by London Labour HQ. You are targetting the wrong people and for bigotted reasons I'm afraid. Yes, there are those who have milked the Welsh language 'band-wagon' but they are few and relatively small fry.

Edited by Caius

Your arguments are all over the place TMT. You will find that the power in Wales lies with the Labour party; a party which has been and continutes to be the most unionist and historically anti-Welsh. Kinnock senior and his wife were prime examples. Close to Aberafon you will find Peter Hain another parachuted in golden boy to a safe seat. Then you have Chris Bryan ffs in the Rhondda of all places. Once proud places reduced to being looked upon and used as Labour voting fodder by London Labour HQ. You are targetting the wrong people and for bigotted reasons I'm afraid. Yes, there are those who have milked the Welsh language 'band-wagon' but they are few and relatively small fry.

All are bad for Wales and the Welsh people IMPO.

That's a rather paranoid anti-European view. You are correct though to point out that there are remnants of the 'Welsh' languge to be found in many parts of England since it was (or at least it's precursor Brythonic) spoken from the Clyde to Cornwall pre-Saxon invasion. I don't know about your genetic tests but I've seen the opposite said; that the Cornish are different. I take it you're not talking about the good-lifers and white flighers who have escaped to Cornwall? But undoubtedly, Cornwall was until relatively recently where a language existed which was totally distinct from the the Germanic/French ie English language. And you only have to look at the place names and many of the people's sir-names to apprecaite that this is not England.

No, it's a subject province of your rightful rulers in Wessex. :P

And low and behold, identity politics rears its head.

SHOCK AS...Just two candidates from Cornwall standing in European Parliament election!!!

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Just-candidates-Cornwall-standing-European/story-20999557-detail/story.html

I'll have to check whether all my local Euro-election candidate are of quality non-cornish stock. I can still say that, even jokingly right, without Harriet Harman shoving her jackboot up my ****?

All seems pretty silly. According to wikipedia, there were only about 20 speakers in 2000, although apparently another 500 have since claimed it as the main language. More pointless buggering-about.

All seems pretty silly. According to wikipedia, there were only about 20 speakers in 2000, although apparently another 500 have since claimed it as the main language. More pointless buggering-about.

This is how it starts.

Hey, if one lawyer gets a payday from it then its all worthwhile.

Just pity the poor sod who mumbles 'you cornish twat' in a fracas and is landed with a criminal record for his 'sin'

We are a country run by lawyers and banksters for the sole benefit of lawyers and banksters unfortunately.

Hey, if one lawyer gets a payday from it then its all worthwhile.

Just pity the poor sod who mumbles 'you cornish twat' in a fracas and is landed with a criminal record for his 'sin'

We are a country run by lawyers and banksters for the sole benefit of lawyers and banksters unfortunately.

Actually, you probably could say that and get away with it as apparently it is not racial - I hasten to add that I am not a lawyer.

When Anne Robinson made some remark about the Welsh it was 'OK' because it wasn't deemed to be racial - Celts apparently are not a separate Race to the Anglo-Saxons but merely a different kind of Caucasian... or something like that...

DYOR and consult your own lawyer before wandering around calling Cornish people names ;)

More EU interference IMPO.

As this was part of my postgrad I will chip in that the genetic testing on people with long family histories in an area showed a clear British (as opposed to Anglo-Saxon) population in Cornwall and equally in Devon, this was surprising as place name evidence suggested that only Cornwall would be British.

That's all a bit irrelevant anyway, as compared to 1900 when 90% of people living in Cornwall were born there now the majority aren't.

lol.

The only genetic tests I've seen on the matter state that Cornwall are firmly of mixed Anglo stock... the same as everywhere else in England...and even lowland Scots are the same (i.e. the vast majority of Scots).

The EU plotting to split up the awkward UK.

Which one next? Cumbria is 'welsh' too I believe. Hence 'cwm' like Cymru for Wales.

Or perhaps let us please have the Viking Northumbria back with the capital centred on York. I actually dwell in the ancient Wapentake of Skyrack...really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyrack

I believe that Cumbria comes from 'Cymru' or Wales.