House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Windows Cloud: Should Microsoft Mimic Chrome Os?

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/388303/windows-cloud-should-microsoft-mimic-chrome-os?_mout=1&utm_campaign=pcpro_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Microsoft is developing a cloud-based version of Windows that could go head-to-head with Google’s Chrome OS, according to a new leak.

The operating system, reportedly called Windows Cloud, will offer users a fully-functional OS when connected to the internet, as well as featuring a basic offline mode.

The rumoured OS sounds similar to Google’s Chrome OS, despite Microsoft having recently slated the cloud-driven platform as part of a long-running anti-Google campaign.

According to analysts, it's likely that Microsoft is developing a cloud-focused OS - but it's not clear if it will ever be released.

Not used the Chrome OS but anyone feel it could work?

AKA remote desktop services, terminal services, dumb terminals, any number of names for the same fracking thing.

Not sure "cloud" is a good idea. Paying somebody to take all your data seems a daft idea to me! With NAS boxes at hobby prices, and disk capacity for a few quid over what a floppy drive used to cost! Dear oh dear! Keep control! It is YOUR data, your photos, your movies, your CV, etc!

Not sure "cloud" is a good idea. Paying somebody to take all your data seems a daft idea to me! With NAS boxes at hobby prices, and disk capacity for a few quid over what a floppy drive used to cost! Dear oh dear! Keep control! It is YOUR data, your photos, your movies, your CV, etc!

...but then they could do a simple specced laptop for a couple of hundred quid...

+1. I do store some things on the cloud, but my most personal stuff I trust to my HDDs only.

+1. I do store some things on the cloud, but my most personal stuff I trust to my HDDs only.

....you can also connect HDDs & pen sticks to Chromebooks, if you so wish..

....you can also connect HDDs & pen sticks to Chromebooks, if you so wish..

Yes but I don't have a chromebook. I have an iPad - hence using the cloud.

I want to see pictures of this one hundred year old guitar that Bossy got when she was five during the Great war!

Bad idea with little or no benefit for anyone other than Microsoft. As a general principle say "no" to anything that requires an internet connection and doesn't fundamentally require access to anything remote - such as an OS, your own data etc.

I want to see pictures of this one hundred year old guitar that Bossy got when she was five during the Great war!

When the heating goes off I break it out of its cool cupboard. I'll send you one then. And perhaps one of me during the Great War. :lol:

When the heating goes off I break it out of its cool cupboard. I'll send you one then. And perhaps one of me during the Great War. :lol:

I hit loads of Dutch people over the head with a Fender in in the Boer War!

Do you play it?

I'll bet yours is a "death metal" spikey one with skulls on it!

No I don't play it much. I'm afraid it'll fall apart. It's a Maurer made in upstate New York in the early 1900s.

I do love spiky music. My pet musical hate is Mantovani. :)

What the barking mad one said :)

1+

Privacy issues aside, I find SSD or even HDD tends to transfer a lot faster than the cloud will. The gap may narrow though I feel it will be a long way off.

As for the upload spped to get them on the cloud in the first place :blink:

I can see how resources can be deployed either at the server or the client end, indeed IT has gone this way and back that way over the decades doing exactly that depending on where the most efficient, cheapest place to put the resource is.

I simply can't see how you can put any significant parts of the OS online most especially with portable devices. The UK has poor fixed line broadband which still mostly relies on copper and aluminium with virtually no fibre optic connections anywhere (think it's about 10,000 in total) and 4G is only just getting started. There are still parts of the UK with no 3G.

We use 4G for our home connection and it's 25 Meg down 20 Meg up but even that is woefully inadequate, and 20 Meg up is the pinnacle of affordable fixed line broadband connections at the moment too even though it's not really very fast.

It works here, but I really can't imagine sitting on a bus with a tablet trying to manipulate images in Photoshop over the internet. Ops, connection's gone again. Turn the corner. Ah, back in range again. There is a technology called pCell which is the likely route forward, that, and 5G, but this is still too far away and wireless access is, for the foreseeable future, simply never going to get around the problem of limited frequencies over the air. That being one reason why mobile data is so expensive. And so what you may save on the device up front, you'll pay in data charges later on. Mind you this seems to be the way of thinking these days - cheap upfront, and it's only x per month.

I think that all a lot of people want is a little device that can stream iPlayer and run small "apps" and I suppose a Chromebook can do that. But, I'd agree with Microsoft - it's not a "laptop", it's more akin to a "toy".

I think that all a lot of people want is a little device that can stream iPlayer and run small "apps" and I suppose a Chromebook can do that. But, I'd agree with Microsoft - it's not a "laptop", it's more akin to a "toy".

If only someone could invent some kind of tablet device?

Yes but I don't have a chromebook. I have an iPad - hence using the cloud.

You can get a USB OTG type cable for the ipad (which should allow you to attach "external storage")...

http://www.cellphoneshop.net/8lightning.html

With Chrome, is that you're limited to what you can install..(which can be a good or a bad thing)...