House Price Crash Forum
gf3

Keiser Report Quite Good Today

Thanks for posting. It was the best edition of the Keiser Report that I've seen in a while.

Some astonishing figures on home ownership.

Lowest level since 1987, at 65%, down from 71% in 2003.

But the figures that startled me were the age composition of home ownership.

14.3 million homeowners, but just 1.5 million are 34 or under! And just 16,000 in the 18-24 age group.

Shame that discussions like this do not appear on the British State Broadcasting Corporation, but as Max pointed out, people like Stephanie Flanders were always doing their reporting with an eye on getting a job with JP Morgan.

Thanks for posting. It was the best edition of the Keiser Report that I've seen in a while.

14.3 million homeowners, but just 1.5 million are 34 or under! And just 16,000 in the 18-24 age group.

Shame that discussions like this do not appear on the British State Broadcasting Corporation, but as Max pointed out, people like Stephanie Flanders were always doing their reporting with an eye on getting a job with JP Morgan.

A picture from a tweet a week or so ago.

1397362145331.jpg

post-5383-0-00075400-1398206159_thumb.jpg

Fun but quite a few errors. House prices were never directly in the inflation figures. RPI includes mortgage interest. The switch Brown made was from RPIX to CPI which doesn't including housing costs for owner occupiers.

A new measure CPIH does - or at least it uses a "rental equivalence" to calculate housing costs which means it doesn't include real house price inflation.

Broadly speaking though, excluding housing costs from inflation figures is a major flaw.

I missed the 18-24 only 16,000. That is such a low number quite easy to believe that it was their rich parents that just bought it for them.

I don't blame Flanders for taking the money. It's the game that needs to change not the players. Most people including myself play the hand I am dealt the best I can. And I can't blame people for doing the same. I only blame the people that make the rules and break the rules.

The 16,000 figure is very surprising, it is roughly equivalent to the population that are now over 100 years old. Back in the 80s living to one hundred was an impossible dream and buying a house before 24 was a given if you wanted to.....21 in my case. Now it appears that the house is becoming an impossible dream in your early 20s and living to a 100 might one day be a given. It used to be affordable houses before health in the Government priorities.....but now the policy priorities are unaffordable housing (to protect equity) and the Health Service........guess whose health and whose equity.

The 16,000 figure is very surprising, it is roughly equivalent to the population that are now over 100 years old. Back in the 80s living to one hundred was an impossible dream and buying a house before 24 was a given if you wanted to.....21 in my case. Now it appears that the house is becoming an impossible dream in your early 20s and living to a 100 might one day be a given. It used to be affordable houses before health in the Government priorities.....but now the policy priorities are unaffordable housing (to protect equity) and the Health Service........guess whose health and whose equity.

Just checked it's 96,000 still very low 2 minutes 50 seconds in.

It's always a good show. Easily the best financial show on TV. The guests and discussions are things you just never see on the BBC/Sky etc.

It's always a good show. Easily the best financial show on TV. The guests and discussions are things you just never see on the BBC/Sky etc.

I think rt's boom bust is better than Keiser. Max is an intelligent guy but he plays to the gallery.

He sems like a guy who thinks he is funny and entertaining and just needs to open his mouth and funny entertainingness will ensue, but actually it's just painfully embarrassing drivel. Reminds me of Jonathon Ross.

Not referring to the actual factual and analytical content, which seems reasonably coherent, but could have been covered in a two minute report

"Maggie Thatcher roasting in hell" :lol:

To be fair heaping all the blame all onto Mrs T is very unfair.....New governments followed on with further damaging policies...New Labour far worse imo and New Tory following on the same...where were the checks and balances when they were required? ;)

To be fair heaping all the blame all onto Mrs T is very unfair.....New governments followed on with further damaging policies...New Labour far worse imo and New Tory following on the same...where were the checks and balances when they were required? ;)

To be fair, I agree. :) I say this as a possible future joint beneficiary on an ex-council house.

I was surprised that the '97 - '10 Labour Govt. didn't abolish RTB and didn't take so long in allowing councils to build new rented homes. :unsure:

I consider myself left wing I voted Labour. However I am no longer a Labour supporter what Labour did wasn't left wing it was nuts. To give people more money in benefits than the average person earns doesn't make sense on any level. I see more left wing policy’s with the coalition than I seen under Labour. Tax allowance changed from £6,500 to £10,500 people being handed back their pension money instead of it being given to the city spivs.

Has Keiser done a program on Putin raising interest rates again?

He really should

Yep, best I've seen in a while!

He's very good when he tones it down ... unfortunately his OTT 'Mr Angry' character isn't really as funny as he thinks it is and he tends to overplay that when he's on screen which obscures the serious points he makes. He'd be better going for sarcasm and parody.

This show did a very good job of getting across the theme that being a rentier is increasingly the way to go in our society thanks to massive amounts of cheap money coming out of the central banks. Why actually work to produce something when you can simply access funds and buy stuff that you can rent out - or just speculate on assets with an almost guaranteed win so long as the flood of cheap money continues, eternally pumping up prices.

Of course, only a relatively few people are in the select position of having access to these funds. Everyone else ends up in whatever job they can find trying to scrape enough money to pay the people who own the essential assets and services.

He's very good when he tones it down ... unfortunately his OTT 'Mr Angry' character isn't really as funny as he thinks it is and he tends to overplay that when he's on screen which obscures the serious points he makes. He'd be better going for sarcasm and parody.

This show did a very good job of getting across the theme that being a rentier is increasingly the way to go in our society thanks to massive amounts of cheap money coming out of the central banks. Why actually work to produce something when you can simply access funds and buy stuff that you can rent out - or just speculate on assets with an almost guaranteed win so long as the flood of cheap money continues, eternally pumping up prices.

Of course, only a relatively few people are in the select position of having access to these funds. Everyone else ends up in whatever job they can find trying to scrape enough money to pay the people who own the essential assets and services.

I find it interesting that there is not so much cheap money around that rents are falling - the low rates are causing rent deflation.

Has Keiser done a program on Putin raising interest rates again?

He really should

I guess he can do that when the BBC/Fox/Sky etc cover the sorts of things Keiser covers. Which they don't at present.

I find it interesting that there is not so much cheap money around that rents are falling - the low rates are causing rent deflation.

I don't have figures on rents but I do know you'll get sweet FA return on your wealth if put into bonds or held as bank desposits .. plus the stock market is always a gamble .. so no surprise that money is looking for a home in bricks and mortar again. Rental income plus possibility of capital appreciation - especially if the government continues on the policies of cheap central bank money which it is pretty much trapped into doing now.

Edited by Sour Mash